The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am trained, owned, and handled AFC

Default Am trained, owned, and handled AFC

A post on another thread stated and I paraphrase an amateur with time resources etc was to be more feared than a pro trained dog handled by his owner. Just curious how many and who are they that would fit into that category. The late Howard Niemi comes to mind but who else?

Let me make this clearer a dog totally trained and handled by an amateur.
    Last edited by duk4me; 05-14-2014 at 07:45 PM. Reason: clarification
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

I donno about that. I think Tia, Gracie, Ali, & Holland all do okay. Slider does pretty decent too.

Andy whitely
    HRCH Wagzu's Sound of Dixie--Echo
    Warbird's Little Call Girl--Hooker
    RIP Smokingolds Wild Child--Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    I donno about that. I think Tia, Gracie, Ali, & Holland all do okay. Slider does pretty decent too.
    So none of them are pro trained? Not being adversarial just curious Jacob. Just to make it clear I am not involved in field trials at all and have very little knowledge of them.

AFC Special Touchs Satchacrazy BaileyMae MH *** Pretty certain Bailey has never spent any time with a pro, yes Wayne has trained with many but who hasn't.. A great example of a very talented dog and a hard working dedicated owner...

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    So none of them are pro trained? Not being adversarial just curious Jacob. Just to make it clear I am not involved in field trials at all and have very little knowledge of them.
    All are either pro trained or train with a pro. Saying that concept isn't true. Those dogs with their owners are awfully tough.

Newt Cropper, Rex Bell, Bart Clark, Pete Plourde just a few feared by pros
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    All are either pro trained or train with a pro. Saying that concept isn't true. Those dogs with their owners are awfully tough.
    In this example the concept is true because those particular owners have there hands on there dogs on a daily basis, and there very good handlers. Now the owner that is waiting in the parking lot to grab his dog who he hasn't touched since last Saturday, probably isn't much to worry about on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    In this example the concept is true because those particular owners have there hands on there dogs on a daily basis, and there very good handlers. Now the owner that is waiting in the parking lot to grab his dog who he hasn't touched since last Saturday, probably isn't much to worry about on a regular basis.
    Pretty much what I meant. I did not exclude those who may have used a pro to do basics or whatever, was not referring exclusively to those who completely train their own dogs from day one. The amateur who trains day in and day out with their dogs, travels with the seasons, has access to training grounds year round, has learned the skills to handle their dogs to Nationals, those are usually more of a threat on the weekend than the owner who is lucky if they get to train with the pro once a week, who trains around their work schedule, who doesn't see their dog for 5-6 months over the winter maybe, who are flying by the seat of their pants trying to learn as they go and as they can afford it. Some people seem to think it is just that easy, that anyone can just pull a dog off the pro truck, walk to the line in an Amateur and win. It happens, but not as often or the way some people seem to think it does. It is a tough game, you have to know how to handle a dog and have the dog that will work with you. It doesn't matter if Danny Farmer or Mike Lardy trained the dog, the handler has to know something too. These aren't robots you just push buttons on. Nor does cutting the check mean you know what the heck you are doing at the line. Which is what makes every accomplishment all the sweeter, if you and your dog are still there at the end of the 4th, with those at the top of the game. If you don't get that, then you don't get FT.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Pretty much what I meant. I did not exclude those who may have used a pro to do basics or whatever, was not referring exclusively to those who completely train their own dogs from day one. The amateur who trains day in and day out with their dogs, travels with the seasons, has access to training grounds year round, has learned the skills to handle their dogs to Nationals, those are usually more of a threat on the weekend than the owner who is lucky if they get to train with the pro once a week, who trains around their work schedule, who doesn't see their dog for 5-6 months over the winter maybe, who are flying by the seat of their pants trying to learn as they go and as they can afford it. Some people seem to think it is just that easy, that anyone can just pull a dog off the pro truck, walk to the line in an Amateur and win. It happens, but not as often or the way some people seem to think it does. It is a tough game, you have to know how to handle a dog and have the dog that will work with you. It doesn't matter if Danny Farmer or Mike Lardy trained the dog, the handler has to know something too. These aren't robots you just push buttons on. Nor does cutting the check mean you know what the heck you are doing at the line. Which is what makes every accomplishment all the sweeter, if you and your dog are still there at the end of the 4th, with those at the top of the game. If you don't get that, then you don't get FT.
    I just asked who are they Kim. don't bring the other thread to this one please.