The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Am trained, owned, and handled AFC

Dennis Voigt from Canada that publishes Retrievers Online is a very successful amateur.

The late Bob Larsen had at least 2 FA AFC dogs.

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dennis Bath? His dogs are now and have been for the last several, completely amateur trained and he has made several FC/AFCs. He has 2 young ones right now that are up and coming to be watched and even feared at a trial (sure I am partial, but others have said it as well). I think all of the people mentioned are impressive and should be commended. I am still working on it, but I know it takes ALOT of time and dedication to get a dog to that level. Kudos to you all
    God bless!- Jamee

When you stop having fun, it's time to quit!!
    "If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"- Author unknown

My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH "Kali"
    White Oak's Change of Plans "Bodee"
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013

The list is a short one. Barry Cruickshank in Colorado comes to mind. If you go to most trials you will about 5% of the dogs entered are train by their owners. And wonder why there isn't any help at events? The reasons to name a few the hyper competitive nature of the game, obsessiveness (no it's not addiction)to win, and frankly most can't train a dog at this level. The few that can mostly are retired and have the time.
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    I donno about that. I think Tia, Gracie, Ali, & Holland all do okay. Slider does pretty decent too.
    I don't believe that all of these animals fit the op requirements.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!

I was disputing the part about Am trained are more feared than Ams running their dog that a pro has his hands in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamee Strange View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dennis Bath? His dogs are now and have been for the last several, completely amateur trained and he has made several FC/AFCs. He has 2 young ones right now that are up and coming to be watched and even feared at a trial (sure I am partial, but others have said it as well). I think all of the people mentioned are impressive and should be commended. I am still working on it, but I know it takes ALOT of time and dedication to get a dog to that level. Kudos to you all
    Eddie or Pete? Pete or Eddie?

I like them both!

I also like that little male you had that's a son of one of them - Eddie or Pete...Pete or Eddie.

- Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"