The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: This Common Core Math Problem Is So Absurdly Difficult It Stumps College Students

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Farrar View Post
    PLEASE go back and look at My post #22... I have no doubt your math skills are fine. Maybe a little work on reading comprehension is in order.

Citing Glenn Beck as a resource is as bad as using the National Enquirer.
    THere is zero reason for this crazy math to take 10 steps to do what should be done in 2. This is not a step froward but rather 10 steps backwards. This is just dumbing down to the lowest denominator and we all know it. That is a big issue, teach to the stupid level so they don't feel bad or whatever.
    Split the kids in say 3rd grade and put the top together, let them push each other and learn at the level they belong. Stop sticking them with the jerks. Split them or a few years ans you wll find they find their way back to the top group.
    As for the NQ, aren't they the ones that exposed dirtbag Edwards first?
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    THere is zero reason for this crazy math to take 10 steps to do what should be done in 2. This is not a step froward but rather 10 steps backwards. This is just dumbing down to the lowest denominator and we all know it. That is a big issue, teach to the stupid level so they don't feel bad or whatever.
    Split the kids in say 3rd grade and put the top together, let them push each other and learn at the level they belong. Stop sticking them with the jerks. Split them or a few years ans you wll find they find their way back to the top group.
    As for the NQ, aren't they the ones that exposed dirtbag Edwards first?
    I am not in favor of CCS math. However, I have to teach it.
    As for the NQ, ya got me. I will start reading it while listening to Glenn Beck, Alex Jones and Art Bell. I better go now and get my tinfoil hat.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

I am not in favor of CCS math. However, I have to teach it.
    As for the NQ, ya got me. I will start reading it while listening to Glenn Beck, Alex Jones and Art Bell. I better go now and get my tinfoil hat.
    Have you looked on the top of your head for it???

Just joking.

Glen Beck. Ok, nevermind. I thought maybe you were going to tell me you saw it on some wacko website...
    Sorry, I did not notice you were from the LEFT COAST....check your mind at the door.....!

PLEASE go back and look at My post #22... I have no doubt your math skills are fine. Maybe a little work on reading comprehension is in order.

Citing Glenn Beck as a resource is as bad as using the National Enquirer.
    More proof of the 'brain dead' left coast.....you guys better start looking beyond your small world...or Barbie Boxer and her clan will own you and yours!

Wow! I have lived in CA all of my life and have never voted for a Democrat. I was going to look up Beck's crazyness for you, but apparently Google is part of the conspiracy.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/0...ries-on-Google#

The dude is recovering alcoholic and drug user who calls himself a "borderline schizophrenic."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Beck

Hopefully you listen to him on his lucid days, but I'm guessing they are few and far between. The best part of being American is that you are free to worship whomever you please. I myself, would choose someone other than Beck.
    Bless your heart...
    Have a nice day.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

Dave - breath slowly - OCD , ADD , ADHD , IEP , Special Needs contributors....keep up the good fight in an often thankless job.

Senior Member Lesa Cozens Dauphin's Avatar

I am a college educated accountant for a small oil & gas company. I love numbers and like Buzz have short cuts for working with them in my head. But for the life of me I don't understand the point of this type of math. Would some please explain why we are using it and not just teaching it the simple old-fashioned way?

Thank you!

lesa c
    Ramblin Maxx Retrievers

Glen Beck. Ok, nevermind. I thought maybe you were going to tell me you saw it on some wacko website...
    No he heard it from a wacko. You would think Beck was Billy Gramm how Swampy hang ever word

Mike, CCS math is really about HOW you get the answer. The answer is not as important as how you got it. There are performance tasks that are not simply graded on getting the right answer.
    If you are really interested, take a look at this site:
    http://www.exemplars.com/education-m...c-1-assessment

This is a 1st grade example. If you dig into the the scoring rationales and anchor papers you will find that Student 1 who scored apprentice actually got the answer wrong. Student 2 was graded as an apprentice and he had the answer correct. Same overall score for a kid that got the wrong answer as the kid that got it correct.

Dave, I agree, many of the tasks are related to the process of getting an answer, more than just the answer. On the surface, I don't know if that is a negative. We have always looked for correct answers (not a bad thing), but do the students understand how/why they get an answer? I believe that is part of deeper learning. Many of the tasks are going to be very difficult for students and teachers and it will probably take quite some time to work out the pros and cons. However, like most change, the end product is often different than the initial version. On a side note, most of the teachers I worked with (high school level), are not so concerned about the standards, as they are about the incredible amount of required testing.

One thing is for sure, public education is in for a rocky road for the next couple of years. For some reason, we are an industry that seems to swing from one side to the other, before settling somewhen in the middle. Maybe if it wasn't such a political football......http://www.corestandards.org/read-the-standards/
    Last edited by Mikegillam; 05-19-2014 at 07:05 PM. Reason: additional:http://www.corestandards.org/read-the-standards/