The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: This Common Core Math Problem Is So Absurdly Difficult It Stumps College Students

[QUOTE=IowaBayDog;1220677]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Farrar View Post

So you assaulted Mr. Beck's character yet you have not listened to him and obviously have gotten your information on him from some other source and not the person himself. Yet you have the gall to tell all of us to "follow the money" of what motivates him but you had NO IDEA where the money leads on the crap agenda you yourself are pushing on our youth. I guess "I get paid to do it" is reason enough for you to push bad policies, I bet a bunch of Germans in the 30s felt the same way. Maybe you should actually research something you are paid to push down the throats of children, the rest of us are worried about our kids and obviously with good reason. If teachers are just drones pushing "what they get paid" to push someone better be looking out for our kids. I know the teachers I had in HS who were good ol' bra burning liberals from the 60s would have puked at your statement. If they taught us nothing else it was to question everything!
    I thought you could think.....now you are telling me that Beck is your hero! He is a standup comic that figured out that if he got peoples feathers up they would keep tuning in. Surely you are not hoodwinked by this guy too.

[QUOTE=menmon;1220777]
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaBayDog View Post

I thought you could think.....now you are telling me that Beck is your hero! He is a standup comic that figured out that if he got peoples feathers up they would keep tuning in. Surely you are not hoodwinked by this guy too.
    I said nothing of my thoughts or affiliations with GB, I merely pointed out he made accusations without ever having listened to him. He, Rush, etc are entertainers and need to be listened to that way, they are the first ones to say it. Most of what I have learned on CC is from getting involved locally.

Skywatcher Salem Orchard Hard "Cider"

So you assaulted Mr. Beck's character yet you have not listened to him and obviously have gotten your information on him from some other source and not the person himself. Yet you have the gall to tell all of us to "follow the money" of what motivates him but you had NO IDEA where the money leads on the crap agenda you yourself are pushing on our youth. I guess "I get paid to do it" is reason enough for you to push bad policies, I bet a bunch of Germans in the 30s felt the same way. Maybe you should actually research something you are paid to push down the throats of children, the rest of us are worried about our kids and obviously with good reason. If teachers are just drones pushing "what they get paid" to push someone better be looking out for our kids. I know the teachers I had in HS who were good ol' bra burning liberals from the 60s would have puked at your statement. If they taught us nothing else it was to question everything!
    It was not me that made that quote, but since you bought me into this, try this quiz.

Match the talk show host with his bio.

A] Glenn Beck .

B] Rush Limbaugh .

---Drug addict, psychotropic problems, suicidal tendencies, currently on his second wife.

---Drug addict, fired from ESPN for being a racist, currently on fourth wife, impotent.

Quote Originally Posted by swliszka View Post
    IowaBayDog you criticize Dave F. for not being as intelligent as you , next criticize his teaching profession as "that pays little to just 'do what they pay me to do' without question." How did you learn to read , write , compute because quite obviously your Iowa teachers did not teach you to think. I have chosen to engage you on this personal attack when the man has given you reasonable explanations but when you start smearing professions , back off. It belittles you and me, by going down this sewer.
    I said nothing of the sort, you may want to go back and read and see who insulted whose intelligence first (its post #85 if you need to be handheld). I insulted HIM as a teacher for taking the attitude "that's what they pay me for" so I'll teach any crap they tell me to and do no research into it whatsoever. My teachers, in Michigan not Iowa, had no such attitude as I clearly pointed out. Once again, read.

He suggested all of us against CC should "follow the money" yet obviously had done nothing of the sort himself. I happily stand by everything I have written.

The point here is that many either have lost or never had the historically strong American trait to think critically, to look beyond what is said, to question, to learn from a diverse number of sources......the reading program, from what I have found is not just literature...simple question, why would we include anything in K-12 other than things known to be literature?

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    It was not me that made that quote, but since you bought me into this, try this quiz.

Match the talk show host with his bio.

A] Glenn Beck .

B] Rush Limbaugh .

C) Barrack Obama

---Drug addict, psychotropic problems, suicidal tendencies, currently on his second wife.

---Drug addict, fired from ESPN for being a racist, currently on fourth wife, impotent.
    ---Drug Addict, Member of the Chooch gang, Marxist, never taken blame for any actions.

Why would I care what they do in their personal lives? Affected my life in no way, shape, or form. I am sure you've lived a life of a virgin angel.

---Drug Addict, Member of the Chooch gang, Marxist, never taken blame for any actions.

Why would I care what they do in their personal lives? Affected my life in no way, shape, or form. I am sure you've lived a life of a virgin angel.
    You claimed his character was insulted, his character is beyond insult.

They tried that shit with my kids. They were teaching new math, and no phonics. They did word memorization instead of phonics. We taught old math and phonics at home and both my kids were at the higher end of their classes. My daughter was 2 grades higher in reading when she was in second grade. Both kids graduated with honors. My son is getting his masters in math with a minor in computer programing. My daughter is getting a teaching degree in language arts. Parents need to know whats going on in their kids schools.
    New retriever Champ 5/10/2014
    UH HRCH Brandywine Sue MH
    & GLSD: Finished Upland, Finished Retriever
    2013 GLSD Finished High point dog of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I think we can all agree that a centralized, coordinated, controlled approach to education curriculum would benefit us all!!!
    Not sure that we can all agree on that. Depends on what is being taught and on the agenda of whatever organization or group is controlling that approach.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

I noticed that HPL post #11 was concerned by the English error of Scusker in post #6, but no one noticed the math error made my Dave Ferrer in post # 22. I'm sure Dave knows how to do the problem because his English sentence explaining the problem was correct, but his last equation was incorrect. He had 30-15+3, but it should have been 30-15-3 as he stated in the sentence explanation. This is an example to show why the last time this subject was discussed many moons ago I came down on the side of partial grading in math classes. Errors occur, but the kids are still in the teaching stage and not in the real world and if they can explain their answer and show the steps they should get partial credit. I'm not willing to say Dave does not understand the the concept of 27-12, he just made a careless error. Which are two totally different things. Back in that thread many would give him zero credit for the problem. In the last thread that is why many people did not like common core. Now it is because it is confusing and harder than the way we learned. Someone posted about the dot method. I liked the dot method when my older daughter brought it home. I can see the benefit to a visual learner. At least three different ways should be shown to kids because there are three different learning styles (visual, audio, and manual). When in a math class I'm more concerned with math concepts and in English class I'm more concerned with English concepts. Most people have a strength and a weakness. We all make mistakes. Sorry Dave for using you as an example, but if we look back we can all see at times we make mistakes. As a parent I have seen teachers take the all or nothing approach and I thing this maybe why so many American children avoid math and science. So many of our nations children are soft and can't take pressure so they avoid it. Just like soft dogs that get washed out of programs. The soft dogs that make it with the big dogs have had trainers that find ways to draw out the talent by giving credit for the things the dog does well. They don't over look the errors, but they find a way to teach the dog those concepts, with a different approach. Kids are not much different that dogs.

I'm not sure about common core, but as educators they need to keep developing new tools for their tool box. No two dogs are alike nor are two kids alike. There is not a one size fits all.

Terri