The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LPL tie back surgery

Default LPL tie back surgery

Anyway, I think we will have this choice to face. I have that bad feeling. I am dreading the vet visit. Money is not an issue, just to get that out there. For those who have opted for it did you in the end think it was the right choice for your dog?
    Piper has other issues. He has been on Thyroid meds since he was 3. He OFA'd mild HD, which I suspected and had him under for the snip with OFA's. His footprints in the wet sand told it all. He is already on Adaquin for his joints. He turned 11 in March. When he is just hanging out on the couch he is absolutly fine. I want to go in prepared and discuss all options. The constant risk of Pneumonia after surgery really makes me pause. Piper is NOT a fighter so to speak.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

MY 13 year old was diagnosed with LP a couple years ago . Bear also had other health issues so we decided against the tie back surgery. The people I know that have had it done are all glad they did. My dog was doing pretty good but once we hit 100 degrees its becoming more difficult.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

We did the surgery on a 10 year old male FCR. He lived for quite awhile, with good quality of life. We are glad that we did the surgery.

We just did the surgery on our 13 year old girl. She had a collapsing episode during a short walk in cool weather. Vet said he was very concerned about her reaction to hot weather. She came through surgery fine and has a new lease on life; enjoys her walks around the neighborhood and has much more energy. You do have to take a bit of care with their food; must be moistened so no dry particles can get down in lungs.
    Shirley Christian
    Fort Collins, CO
    shirley.christian79@gmail.com

The potential complication of aspiration pneumonia is in my opinion overstated, the rewards of a patent airway far outweigh the risk if aspiration pneumonia which is almost always treatable with broad spectrum antibiotics.

Quote Originally Posted by gmhr1 View Post
    MY 13 year old was diagnosed with LP a couple years ago . Bear also had other health issues so we decided against the tie back surgery. The people I know that have had it done are all glad they did. My dog was doing pretty good but once we hit 100 degrees its becoming more difficult.
    I'm leaning that way with Piper. I have to give him his Adaquin shots on shorter times. The back end is going and I've done everything we can do.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

My old guy had a Laryngeal Paralysis tie back done 3/1/2012. He's doing fine, still have to watch his activity so he doesn't over heat (has had heat stroke). He wrestles with the other dogs, plays with the puppy this last year, is alert and overall doing well. He has been swiming, ran 10 Seasoned hunt tests (passing 8) from October '12 thru September '13. He's very happy, loves the game and his birds and bumpers, probably won't run any more hunt tests as his hearing is failing, either can't or won't listen to whistles. Would absolutely do the surgery again, depending other health issues, it has been a good decision. He does not get enough oxygen to his extremities so he stumbles from time to time but he has a very good life. He is fed in an elevated dish and I've raised the water dish also. Had surgery last fall for a different problem and the surgeon said there was minor spotting on his lungs probably from aspiration pneumonia. He's had 2+ very good years because of the surgery and I am happy I made the decision. Murphy will be 14 years 5 months old the 24th of this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ward View Post
    My old guy had a Laryngeal Paralysis tie back done 3/1/2012. He's doing fine, still have to watch his activity so he doesn't over heat (has had heat stroke). He wrestles with the other dogs, plays with the puppy this last year, is alert and overall doing well. He has been swiming, ran 10 Seasoned hunt tests (passing 8) from October '12 thru September '13. He's very happy, loves the game and his birds and bumpers, probably won't run any more hunt tests as his hearing is failing, either can't or won't listen to whistles. Would absolutely do the surgery again, depending other health issues, it has been a good decision. He does not get enough oxygen to his extremities so he stumbles from time to time but he has a very good life. He is fed in an elevated dish and I've raised the water dish also. Had surgery last fall for a different problem and the surgeon said there was minor spotting on his lungs probably from aspiration pneumonia. He's had 2+ very good years because of the surgery and I am happy I made the decision. Murphy will be 14 years 5 months old the 24th of this month.
    Laryngeal paralysis is a part of a degenerative neuropathy in older dogs which includes but not all of megaesophagus, laryngeal paralysis, and spinal cord degeneration so your dog's loss of motor function and proprioception is nerve degeneration not lack of oxygenation of tissues.

I will follow this thread with interest. Just had a discussion with the surgeon in my area who does a lot of these.
    She said 1/10 does not make it through the surgery. Gave me all the information that I will need to make my decision to do it to my girl. She will be 12 this fall, in good health otherwise, Its not a surgical decision that I will make lightly. And a full quality of life issue, from what Ive been told (except Chucks' story which is the first Ive heard of that), they should not swim after the tieback procedure, for risk of inhalation pneumonia from the water. If she cant swim( a daily thing for my dogs- ) after the procedure then, theres a big reason for me to not do it. Its a decision only the owner can make but Im eager to hear other stories, and facts pos or neg....
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Laryngeal paralysis is a part of a degenerative neuropathy in older dogs which includes but not all of megaesophagus, laryngeal paralysis, and spinal cord degeneration so your dog's loss of motor function and proprioception is nerve degeneration not lack of oxygenation of tissues.
    Also, Dr Ed, she told me the same thing, that its a degenerative neuropothy, so that other things can or may begin to fail at the same time as LP presents.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)