The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JH judges?

Default JH judges?

There's a double header in the Pacific NW area in a couple weeks I'd like to enter.... my work/school schedule is only going to allow me to get away for one day, not both, unfortunately. The judges are Misalyn Armstrong/Kent Walker (Sat) and Jim Brannon/Dick Lamping (Sun). Anyone ran under any of those judges and have a preference or are both teams pretty comparable? I have a 2 yr old YLF that's FF'd, marks well, barely started handling, no training on cheating water marks. She's fun but very much a Junior dog. The grounds have sagebrush and hills, large oval and round ponds. Since I don't know if they're on RTF or not, feel free to PM me with any comments. It's been about 9 years since I last ran a HT and I'd heard rumors that some JH judges were setting up tests with much more advanced expectations than when I used to run. I don't mind a challenge, I'd just like a reasonable chance at a JH pass.
    ~Your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Lijah UD GO VER RE TDI CGC ASCA-CD (5/10 UDX, 138/200 OM1 pts, 9/100 OTCH pts)
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    Zen CDX (1/4 JH, 1/3 GO, 1/3 VER passes)

I would say you have a reasonable chance at a pass by the description of your dog. You can gentley restrain the dog at the line with a flat buckle collar and if she'll deliver to hand you have a good shot. Read up on the rules and go have fun.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)

Judge shopping Juniors? really? Your dog can do it or he can't it's four singles for god sake.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Yep.

I show a *lot* - see my sig line - but this is the first I have ever asked about judges. I have very, very few free days this coming year and would like to make the most of the days I do get to show.
    ~Your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

Lijah UD GO VER RE TDI CGC ASCA-CD (5/10 UDX, 138/200 OM1 pts, 9/100 OTCH pts)
    Boaz JH CD CGC
    Brie CD CGC
    Zen CDX (1/4 JH, 1/3 GO, 1/3 VER passes)

I have never met a JR judge whose goal was to fail dogs...... Either you can do the work or not! Wear fresh jockey shorts and take deep breathes while dog is working.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoLabs View Post
    Yep.

I show a *lot* - see my sig line - but this is the first I have ever asked about judges. I have very, very few free days this coming year and would like to make the most of the days I do get to show.
    I'm confused? sig line?

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

his signature..he has 4 dogs,all with obediance titles, one with a jh, one has either a tracking intermediate title or is a therapy dog (tdi can mean either) and a few other titles

My suggestion to the op is to delete this thread as it does not reflect favorably on you. HPW
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW

Quote Originally Posted by just me View Post
    his signature..he has 4 dogs,all with obediance titles, one with a jh, one has either a tracking intermediate title or is a therapy dog (tdi can mean either) and a few other titles

So your saying they shop other venues for easy judges so they can proudly display the alphabet behind their dogs name. Nothing like taking the easy way.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

I have seen what I consider to be poor judging at all levels of FTs and HTs. This includes Junior level tests. Why should anyone with limited resources, be they time and/or money not want to avoid running under judges that set up poor or dangerous tests. Cheaty slicing entries in to water that may set back training on a young or less experienced dog.

I for one am tired of running under judges that make up rules and tell you things contrary to what the AKC or UKC considers as legit. Also, some judges are just more or less fun to run under than others.

Yes, I think my dogs should be able to pass under just about any set of judges at any test level. It still doesn't mean I want to run under them all.

It is still a team sport. One of the best things I can bring to the table is deciding who I run under and where and when. Some folks have more money than sense. More power to them.

To the OP, sorry I don't know anything about either set of judges. Hopefully, they are all excellent. Good luck!

John