The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott Walker cutting a deal?

Default Scott Walker cutting a deal?

It appears that one of the Golden Boys of the GOP may be trying to cut a deal with prosecutors.
    http://m.jsonline.com/news/statepoli...260941631.html

The story is behind a "paywall".

I'd love to read it and the banner says I have 20 free stories this month but I can't read it.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    The story is behind a "paywall".

I'd love to read it and the banner says I have 20 free stories this month but I can't read it.
    http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepo...260941631.html

Close the box on the top right

I've now read several articles about this. Considering the MJS is using as a source only an editorial, the story doesn't offer much in facts. It's noting but a lot of 2nd and 3rd hand quotes without any real basis.

The most interesting piece was one that O'Keefe has filed another suit today against the GAB claiming that they've spent thousands of dollars over the past few months and as a citizen, he has a right to know what the money is being spent on.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered

Any follow up on this?

(if not, I can share some with you, or you could read about it!!)
    Stan b & Elvis

Please, tell all.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    Please, tell all.
    I am shocked you ardent seekers of the truth and justice haven't foind this little tidbit, I guess it wasn't on the "Daily Show."

Another John Doe Disclosure

The more we learn about the Wisconsin speech probe, the worse it looks. Wisconsin prosecutors investigating allies of Governor Scott Walker must have hoped that hiring former federal prosecutor and nominal Republican Francis Schmitz as a special prosecutor would give their probe a sheen of respectability. So much for that. A new lawsuit and sealed court documents show Mr. Schmitz has been from the start a wholly owned subsidiary of the state's politicized campaign-regulation machinery.

We've been reporting on the state's John Doe probe, which hit dozens of conservative groups with subpoenas in October 2013 while silencing them with a secrecy order. Now we learn that those raids were the continuation of a single-cloth investigation stretching back to May 2010.

In an August 2012 order, Milwaukee County Judge and acting John Doe Judge Neal Nettesheim authorized Milwaukee District Attorney John Chisholm to roll all information from an earlier John Doe (ostensibly shut down in February 2013) into a new proceeding while maintaining all documents under the "existing" secrecy order. That document is under court seal, but we've obtained a copy.

Milwaukee Assistant District Attorney David Robles "requested that the John Doe Judge permit the use and disclosure of information developed in the course of these proceedings," Judge Nettesheim's order notes, and the District Attorney's office may "use and disclose information" from the first Doe "in order to conduct an investigation into the violations that . . . will form the basis of the investigation of a new John Doe proceeding."

The document also reveals that the first Doe was enlarged no fewer than 18 times over two and half years. That secret investigation began by looking into funds stolen from a veterans group while Mr. Walker was Milwaukee County executive and eventually became a kitchen-sink probe into Mr. Walker's staff and campaign.

After 33 months, Messrs. Robles and Chisholm had little to show beyond some minor charges against former Walker aides. So rather than enlarge their investigation for the 19th time, the prosecutors "closed" it and reopened under new management. New sign, same bad food.

Mr. Schmitz was brought in as a supposedly independent voice to lead the investigation in August 2013, but a lawsuit filed May 30 says Mr. Schmitz was hired as a special investigator at the state Government Accountability Board and was on the GAB payroll before he was appointed special prosecutor.

The GAB is the state's political speech regulator, and the lawsuit brought by Eric O'Keefe and the Wisconsin Club for Growth claims the GAB overstepped its authority by participating in a criminal investigation. The GAB's authority is supposed to be over civil violations of elections law.

By the way, Judge Nettesheim says he's in favor of lifting the secrecy order on the first John Doe in cases when state prosecutors need to defend themselves against criticism, such as a separate federal lawsuit that Mr. O'Keefe has filed. Nice of him to tell us now. His secrecy order allowed prosecutors to do selective leaking to friendly journalists until our editorials exposed the government's constitutional abuses. Now prosecutors are hoping the federal court will release private donor information and out-of-context emails.

The more we learn about this anti-speech prosecution, the worse it looks.

In this case, what began as a political witch hunt quickly morphed into a huge fishing expedition, and while it ultimately failed to bag the actual target (Gov. Walker) it still proved politically "useful".

As noted in the lawsuit:

(Wisconsin) GAB (i.e., Government Accountability Board ) has “exceeded its statutory authority and evaded its statutory obligations by pursuing and funding a far-reaching criminal investigation into virtually every conservative-leaning group in Wisconsin". The complaint also cites "paramilitary style" pre-dawn raids on the homes of conservative targets.
    Last edited by road kill; 06-10-2014 at 12:51 PM.
    Stan b & Elvis

I'm sure the OP will acknowlege his mistake.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McKenzie View Post
    I did make a mistake once. I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McKenzie View Post
    I just thought it was an interesting piece regarding Walker, "allegedly" trying to make a deal to save his tail. My mistake.