RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Early Neurological Stimulation

957 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  suepuff 
#1 ·
http://www.border-wars.com/2012/02/bio-sensor-is-bad-science-true-biosensor.html
Many breeders are using the early neurological stimulation recommended by Carmen Battaglia.

I've always handled my puppies a lot from in early life till they leave here, and I wondered if this protocol really makes a difference. Does this "stimulation" that Battaglia recommends have the most impact on puppies that are raised in more "commercial" circumstances where puppies are likely to get less handling during their early life? Our retriever dams don't mind us "fussing" with their puppies, but I recall a friend who bred Malamutes saying that her dams would not have been happy at all with her handling the pups as I do mine. Does this early stimulation protocol have greater impact on certain breeds where humans are less likely to handle pups early in life?

For example, when we clip toenails on puppies, are we already handling the feet/toes much the same as Battaglia recommends?

Food for thought ...

#3 ·
Gerry,
I have done it with all my golden litters and now largely do it because it certainly doesnt hurt. My gut shot feeling is that it seems to even out the litters. I have a hard time really finding the top dog and a bottom dog. Must admit, only five or six litters to draw that limited conclusion from.
Randy

#5 ·
My feeling is the same as Randy's. If nothing else, it rounds them out. At temperament testing time they are really consistent. It's easy to do and takes so little time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.