The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HT tragedy Be careful!!

I agree with Robert. I know someone that something very similar happened to, and any of us would be comfortable with this person caring for our dogs. It only takes a second to get distracted, which is what happened to my friend, and have a tragedy occur to you too.

The only thing you can do is try to do everything you can to avoid it, and even then you're not guaranteed that Murphy won't show up.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    While the disdain posted here may be true. I find it incredibly stupid people judge without first hand facts.
    What about every participant at that HT???

I just cant imagine walking past a vehicle noticing inadequate ventilation,, and NOT making it a priority of mine to track down the responsible people!

Someone didnt check to doors to see if locked??

Rock the vehicle hard enough to set off a possible alarm?

Worse case scenario,, a rock trough the side window would work also,, and I would be willing to pay for the damage!

What a damn shame!

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post
    I agree with Robert. I know someone that something very similar happened to, and any of us would be comfortable with this person caring for our dogs. It only takes a second to get distracted, which is what happened to my friend, and have a tragedy occur to you too.

The only thing you can do is try to do everything you can to avoid it, and even then you're not guaranteed that Murphy won't show up.
    I can see turning your back for a second and having a dog bolt in front of a car or something like that, but this didn't take a SECOND. This took forgetting about the dogs for at least 15 or 20 minutes. I certainly wouldn't trust that person with my dog and wouldn't wish to know that person, really.

I have a friend who accidentally shot another friend's pointer while quail hunting. The pointer had gotten around behind some thick brush where it couldn't be seen and the birds flushed such that one flew across in front of the brush and thus the dog was shot (it survived). That was Murphy's law. That took a second of distraction. Perhaps that was even a foreseeable and avoidable accident, but an accident. Cooking dogs in a hot vehicle is negligence, pure and simple.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    What about every participant at that HT???
    I would doubt other people would even realize there was a dog in the vehicle. When my doors are shut nobody knows I have dogs in the back.

How do y'all know the doors were shut and the vehicle was closed? I don't have enough facts to judge and not my place to judge either. Just be careful with the hounds in this heat no matter where they are.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg

Regardless of circumstances this sucks. Whether at fault or not I feel sorry for the owner. Heavy load to bare.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

I started this thread as a heads up to be aware of the weather. Not to be a witch hunt. Those who know what happened are not publicly commenting or insulting anyone. Would those of you that don't know the facts please follow their lead
    It is a tragedy for all concerned and the dog community at large.
    Please be careful with your dogs and be vigilant about kindly informing other dog owners of the inherent dangers of heat to their dogs

Someone has to know where this happened,and who it was. Valuable information, even if only on PM. I'm interested to know-if anyone truly knows the facts, please share, by PM if neccesary....
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

The only really important fact is that a dog died because it overheated in a car. Not sure why any of the other details matter. Ignorance, stupidity, distraction, accident...doesn't really matter. The point is-it's getting hot everywhere. It got too hot for this dog/person combo. Don't be the next one.
    Marlana Smith
    APR SHR TDK's Dusty Gunslinger JH - "Churchill"
    CPR Max's Black Diamond Girl Scout JH - "Scout"

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I was marshalling an event a couple years ago and forgot I had my dogs in back of truck in crates. I was last dog to run and she swam circles on water blind trying to drink up the whole pond, I would give a cast and she just swam circles drinking.. I had forgot I had my dogs. Next day a Kid told me I need to take better care of my dogs and he watered them.