The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Senior Hunt Test "Tales from the Crypt"!

Wink More Senior Hunt Test "Tales from the Crypt"!

Poor Chief, He has been trying to get his poor old demented handler through one last Senior test for quite a while now. We definitely have the stink eye on us for this last one! This time the main culprit was Lilly Pads!!!! Not too many of those ponds out in NM, so this was our very first venture into those demon weeds. Saturday, he went long on the short go bird, (almost an inline) and I panicked and handled him on the simple one and then lost him on the big mark through the lillies. One of the judges said he almost fell out of his chair when I blew the whistle! Sunday was unique, (for me). We ran from a mound, with a fairly tough memory bird in tall grass, a big flyer very close by, with duck calls squawked over the dog!! (again, not having run much HRC stuff, was new to me). And then . . . A double blind! Wow! You had your choice of the water (another lilly pad pond) or land blind first. I chose the land, which may have been my only good decision. Chief did fine on that. The set up for the water blind had been pulling dogs off to the left, threatening cheats. I did another stupid, and aimed him right of the line and ended up all over the dang pond, going through the treacherous lillies over and over again. Why did I do this???? It goes totally against all my training, my dogs training, and common sense to false line. I just caved to nerves I guess. Then when I sent him, I had plenty of time to stop and correct that initial line because it was a very long entry for Senior. I did not. I stood there with my whistle in my mouth and my thumb up my . . . never mind, I guess you have all misplaced that thumb at some time or another. In the end, I still love the dog, his manners were superb, his land marks dead perfect, and his land blinds were decent. It is very fortunate that I am going to Hillman's Water Fundamentals next weekend. The timing could not be better. Otherwise, I just might shoot myself and leave this good dog to a competent trainer! My point in all this, stuff happens. Believe in the phrase, "Train don't Complain"!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Many would drive home in a rage, beating their offspring and spouse upon arrival at the homestead after that weekend. Instead you have a positive attitude and have come up with a plan to implement in order to move forward and be successful. I for one commend you on that.

It is truly amazing how nerves take away any concentration and focus when running a dog..

I can very much relate to your story.. Have been there so many times myself,, and havent handled it nearly as well as you do.!!

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

I'm no angel! My husband knows better than to talk to me right after something like this. And I must give off rage pheromones, because as I walked back to my truck, all the friendly gallery folks ahead of me parted like the Red Sea. My good friend and summer landlord took the brunt of it, and then I had a nice 4 hour drive home to chill out! I am SO looking forward to the Hillman Seminar next weekend. Therapy.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

You have so elegantly put into words the frustration and lack of a brain that WE all go through at a test.Heck I'm even guilty of being stupid at our club training days.Maybe I should just let my dog run himself because I'm only a hatrack at the line.
    So thank you for sharing and as Red Greene says. " Remember we're pulling for Ya"!

Well I don't think the nerves ever go away. I know I'm a mess when I'm at a test, and will probably quit if it isn't that way. I've failed a few tests and what I've taken away for them is to try to identify what I did wrong and train to correct it. Now I take my time lining up the dog, try to relax as much as I can, take a deep breath, and have the whistle in my mouth, before sending. Watch the dogs in front of me run and try to identify problems that might arise. Look for factors such as wind or suction and how it will affect the dog. You are lucky, from your post, that your dog is the better part of the team, so you need to trust him to get the job done.
    Last edited by fishin444; 06-02-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Then when I sent him, I had plenty of time to stop and correct that initial line because it was a very long entry for Senior. I did not. I stood there with my whistle in my mouth and my thumb up my . . . never mind, I guess you have all misplaced that thumb at some time or another.

LOL

Yeah, being a spectator at the line doesn't help matters. Sorry you had a "senior moment".
    HR Surrey's Space Dog Nala

The best long range duck load is a well trained retriever - Nash Buckingham

Quote Originally Posted by fishin444 View Post
    Well I don't think the nerves ever go away. I know I'm a mess when I'm at a test, and will probably quit if it isn't that way. I've failed a few tests and what I've taken away for them is to try to identify what I did wrong and train to correct it. Now I take my time lining up the dog, try to relax as much as I can, take a deep breath, and have the whistle in my mouth, before sending. Watch the dogs in front of me run and try to identify problems that might arise. Look for factors such as wind or suction and how it will affect the dog. You are lucky, from your post, that your dog is the better part of the team, so you need to trust him to get the job done.
    This is good advise. I know a few times I drove home pounding my hands against the steering wheel. My Old Yoda would have retired a Field Champion if not for a stupid-stupid mistake at a trial he had won hands down the last year he was running, but that's another story. Back to you, there is no advise I can give for remaining calm, it will get better with time on line, but never go away. That's part of the rush of playing this sport, those nerves turn into exhilaration when it goes right! I will give the following advise that I'm sure you've heard before;

1) Watch the test dog closely, but don't take to much away from it. Test dogs are usually under or over qualified, otherwise they would be entered.
    2) Ask questions and listen to other questions after the test dog. Try to pick the judges mind.
    3) This isn't competition, so look to experienced handlers or even pros for advise on what the pitfalls of the test are.
    4) Watch dogs! See what the traps are, see how the good handlers and pros are dealing with it. See what works and what doesn't.
    5) Based on all the above, make a plan and go over it in your head so you are not surprised when your dog takes that bad line, or makes a bad turn toward an old fall. Be proactive, but also be prepared for surprises, "boy, my dog has never done that before".
    6) Finally learn from every mistake you make. I'll bet you do much better next time.

John

No comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    No comment.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Thats what I shoulda said!
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"