The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What would I need to get set up reloading shotgun ammunition?

Bill

Your very FIRST step!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lyman...ion/740860.uts

20 gauge guns......

In MHO,,, not the best to start a young shooter with,, UNLESS the shooter is so small that a 12 gauge is to bulky to shoulder...
    The reason I say this,is the 20 gauge guns are light, coupled with the normal higher operating pressures that is inherent with 20 gauge ammo,, the FELT recoil is just awful!

There are load recipes available for the 20 that you can use that are reduced, and have a 3/4 ounce shot capacity for TARGET shooting,,and maybe dove hunting. SOME autoloaders will not however cycle these loads..

As stated above,, right NOW its impossible to find powder... Right NOW its Powder,,, a few months ago it was primers...Wads are usually easy to find...

As far as a press...

Mec 600 single stage! base model. It will out last You and your granddaughter. Many are available on EBay used,,, for cheap,, just look for one that is clean, and taken care of.. I have seen nice ones go for as little as 50.00.. Bullet proof press.

A step up is the mec sizemaster. a bit more expensive, but has a unique sizing collet that works well for ammo to shoot in autoloaders. The collet is adjustable.
    Very nice press... this is what I own, in 12, 16,, and 20 gauge.

Of course then comes a powder measuring scale.... a MUST!!! You MUST purchase a Scale!!

If it were me,,, I would buy the manual,,and read. Then slowly make the purchases you decide on as components become more plentiful..

In the mean time..

Winchester makes what are called Win-Lite ammo. they are quality loads that are reduced for low recoil... If you decide on a 20 guage gun.. (really suggest a break open double barrel) with the reduced reciol factory loads,You can make sure this is something your granddaughter is going to enjoy.

I bet eventually though,, She will step up to a 12 guage gun..

I do honestly believe that a young shooter is at a disadvantage shooting a 20 gauge with steel shot for waterfowl..,, and then again,, you are back to high pressure FAST FPS with steel loads,,and the FELT recoil goes up!!

JMHO..

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

My son was small for his age when he started shooting and was struggling with the recoil on the 20 gauge that he had. I took his shotgun to the gunsmith and he did 2 things that helped a bunch. One was porting the barrel and the second was working on the forcing cone. Whichever gauge you choose doing these 2 things should help.

An Example!

From alliants load data:

20 Gauge 3/4 ounce load.
    Hull: Remington STS,, or Game Load
    Powder: Alliant 20/28 ,,,14.5 grains
    Wad: Clay buster 1034-20 (3/4 ounce wad)
    Primer: WW .209

This load is a cream puff to shoot. Its pressure is 7200 PSI and shoots at 1200 feet per second.

Most Factory off the shelf 20 gauge ammo runs at about 10000 to 11000 psi standard.

If you can get your autoloader (Mine is a beretta 391 urika) that will cycle this load,, It is just wonderful to shoot,, and breaks target really nicely..

I have shot it in a break open double also,, and it is a joy to shoot out of that gun too,,
    The FELT recoil is very similar to a .410/28 GAUGE.

Gooser

P.S.

I suggest using STS/Game load remington Hulls exclusively! Very good ,durable , long lasting hull.
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 06-03-2014 at 12:18 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.

Same load in a 870 20 gauge wingmaster is Ideal for a youngster shootin doves..

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    An Example!

From alliants load data:

20 Gauge 3/4 ounce load.
    Hull: Remington STS,, or Game Load
    Powder: Alliant 20/28 ,,,14.5 grains
    Wad: Clay buster 1034-20 (3/4 ounce wad)
    Primer: WW .209

This load is a cream puff to shoot. Its pressure is 7200 PSI and shoots at 1200 feet per second.

Most Factory off the shelf 20 gauge ammo runs at about 10000 to 11000 psi standard.

If you can get your autoloader (Mine is a beretta 391 urika) that will cycle this load,, It is just wonderful to shoot,, and breaks target really nicely..

I have shot it in a break open double also,, and it is a joy to shoot out of that gun too,,
    The FELT recoil is very similar to a .410/28 GAUGE.

Gooser

P.S.

I suggest using STS/Game load remington Hulls exclusively! Very good ,durable , long lasting hull.
    Thanks for the info.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Excuse my ignorance, but why would the type of hull matter in a shot recipe? I understand that you want the one with the right crimp for your loader (that's right isn't it?) but as far as working up a particular load to recommend, why is it hull specific?
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

Quote Originally Posted by HuntinDawg View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but why would the type of hull matter in a shot recipe? I understand that you want the one with the right crimp for your loader (that's right isn't it?) but as far as working up a particular load to recommend, why is it hull specific?

Volume!

gas seal with specific wad and specific hull.
    first rule:

Do Not deviate load data from published loads.

At least untill you get a very good feel of what you are doing. Even then, I don't recommend the practice

Quote Originally Posted by HuntinDawg View Post
    different hulls have different designs internally mainly at the base near the primer, and some manufacturers have even changed their designs (Winchester AA) after years of making their hull a certain way, that design as Gooser pointed out changes with different powder and wad combinations and even primer changes alters the internal PSI and velocity

reloading components can NOT and should not be changed randomly
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    Volume!

gas seal with specific wad and specific hull.
    first rule:

Do Not deviate load data from published loads.

At least untill you get a very good feel of what you are doing. Even then, I don't recommend the practice
    Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    different hulls have different designs internally mainly at the base near the primer, and some manufacturers have even changed their designs (Winchester AA) after years of making their hull a certain way, that design as Gooser pointed out changes with different powder and wad combinations and even primer changes alters the internal PSI and velocity

reloading components can NOT and should not be changed randomly

I had no idea that the hull type mattered or that they had a different volume. Thanks for the info guys.

If I go with 20 gauge I was hoping to be able to come up with a 5/8 oz recipe. She is 10 years old and VERY small. At this point I'm considering everything .410 through 20 gauge and the gun will have to be cut down to fit her. Last year in my desperation to get her into the deer woods I bought a used semi-auto .243 and had the stock cut down to fit her, a recoil pad installed, used a neoprene wrap with foam shims to raise the comb so she could see through the scope (mounted on the lowest rings available) and went with a 80 grain Barnes TTSX bullet to make the recoil manageable for her. In many respects that was easier though because the gun weight was no concern (the heavier the better) because I'm the one carrying it through the woods and I knew she would only be shooting off of a rest.

In this case I haven't found an autoloader that I think she can mount and swing due to lack of strength in her left arm (right handed shooter).
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Get the loading information and then look for powder before you buy anything else.

We've shot clays and reloaded on and off for years. Recently went back to the sport and would LOVE to reload and save a few $$ but powder has been impossible the last few months. If oyu can't get powder you might as well put the whole idea on hold until you can.

Buddy of mine just bought his son a Browning Silver Hunter in 20 ga youth model. Nice little gun, fits his son and in semi it shoots as soft as possible. If $$ isn't an issue the semi auto action may be a solution to the recoil problem.
    Good advice I'm sure. I knew reloaders have had a hard time getting components for the last 1 1/2 years but I thought it was getting better.
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)