The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NAVY SEALS .. Operation Red Wing ... DASY

Default NAVY SEALS .. Operation Red Wing ... DASY

Just got through reading Lone Surviver ... because I wanted to do this before seeing the Movie... what a book. What a story of the courage and assignments taken on by the SEAL Teams.

Read the Chris Kyle, American Sniper book also, what a tragic ending to his life. A big shout out to our Special Forces to their courage in battle. These brave men live and bleed American values.

I've often questioned the "Hell Week" training the SEALS must endure or the need.... but for SEAL Marcus Lattrell during the fight with the Taliban in the Mountains of Afghanistan he understood why he had to go though it....

Hope the movie tells his story well ... not a better story to be told or a movie made about a Battle that will go down in history on how four SEALS took on an Army. Operation Red Wing....

Now... I read about DASY.. A yellow Labrador given to Marcus during his recovery.... Isn't this the absolute lowest of things another human could do to one of this Nations heros...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Luttrell
    As part of Luttrell's recuperation he was given a yellow Labrador puppy. He named the dog DASY. Each letter of the name "DASY" represents one of the members of his team—Danny Dietz, Matthew "Axe" Axelson, Southern boy (Marcus), and Michael "Yankee" Murphy. She was given to him in recovery to help him through rehabilitation.[14]
    On April 1, 2009, four men approached Luttrell's property and killed DASY with a .357 Magnum revolver at approximately 1 A.M.[14][15] Luttrell proceeded to chase the individuals through four counties in his truck armed with two 9 mm Berettas—until Onalaska Police apprehended the individuals.[16] Upon arrest, the suspects verbally threatened Luttrell's life and taunted him.[15] Alfonso Hernandez was arrested on-scene for driving without a valid driver's license and later charged with animal cruelty.[17] Michael Edmonds turned himself in on April 7, was booked, and posted bond on the same charge. The other two individuals were not indicted. The males are also suspects in the killings of other neighborhood dogs.[14] On November 29, 2011, Marcus posted on his Facebook Page that "Court date on Thursday for DASY's killer's I'll keep y'all posted on what happens. It's only been almost 3 years glad it's finally here" and again on December 1, 2011, saying they were found guilty.[18]
    On March 7, 2012, Alfonso Hernandez was given the maximum sentence of two years in a state jail for the felony charge of animal cruelty and fined $1,000. After his guilty plea and testimony against Hernandez, Michael John Edmonds was sentenced to five years probation and fined $1,000 for the same offense. At the sentencing, Luttrell testified that he was “still pretty upset” about the killing of DASY and that he felt both defendants should have gotten the maximum sentence.[19]
    “I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot.” ..... Elmer Keith

Mean people suck and the world is full of em.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

That is a heartbreaking story. Too bad Luttrell didn't get to them before the police.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

They did a good job with the Lone Survivor movie, Marcus was heavily involved in it. But as is most cases, the book is much better. Marcus is actually in the movie but not as himself, they did pretty well in the casting of the movie too. Unfortunately for a lot of those men the story didn't need any embellishing or "hollywood'ing".

I recently finished listening to Lone Survivor book on CD. Unbelievably mesmerizing story. In fact I got the book after reading about his dog being killed. One of the things that really stuck in my mind that Luttrell discusses in the book, was how much the current obsession with political correctness affects our troops. Because the media insists on treating war as if it's a garden party, the men in the trenches worry about committing to actions that might result in collateral damage. They're more afraid of being declared guilty war criminals by the U.S. media than they are of dying, and in the end that's what led to the SEAL deaths. Very sad.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Carton of smokes might go a long way in achieving justice for that "prick"! A carton each month, delivered with some lube as a special treat.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

I vaguely recall some action on the forum to replace DASY but if I recall correctly, he said he wasn't ready.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

It's a great movie & book. He also wrote "Service". That's another good book. The "Anerican Sniper" book by Chris Kyle is good as well. Glad you brought this up. The movie came out this week. Going to pick it up tomm.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    I vaguely recall some action on the forum to replace DASY but if I recall correctly, he said he wasn't ready.
    Marcus now has Mr. Rigby ...

“I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot.” ..... Elmer Keith

when I lived in San Diego, we played a lot of golf at the Coronado GC across from SEAL team training grounds..We would stop and watch them "helo cast" into the channel leading into San Diego Bay, and then wait to see the zodiac boats sweep them up at high speeds...A friend of mine had a condo with a view facing the ocean and you could watch the teams carry the enormous telephone poles up and down the beach, and the swim relays into the surf and back...they are bad azz...I have a deep admiration for any SEAL Team member, or those tough/crazy enough to attempt to make the team
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"