The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Route from Boise to Eugene OR

Default Best Route from Boise to Eugene OR

The map program routes IH 84 NW to Portland then S on IH 5 to Eugene, is there a better route? It appears not on the atlas, looks like maybe mountain driving and 2 lane highways which I avoid. Thoughts and/or recommendations for a flat lander driver.

Thanks!

Take 84 to I5 S. That's the fastest most direct route. 84 and I5 are main heavily traveled interstate highways. There is some great scenery and country you could drive through if you wanted but it doesn't sound like you do.
    Last edited by sdnordahl; 06-04-2014 at 11:19 AM.
    Steven

Nordahl's First Flight (Sadie)

Nordahl's Dream in Extreme JH (Dixie)

Nordahl's Flyin High (Sky) RIP

Wild Meadow Retrievers

Quote Originally Posted by sdnordahl View Post
    Take 84 to I5 S. That's the fastest most direct route. 84 and I5 are main heavily traveled interstate highways. There is some great scenery and country you could drive through if you wanted but it doesn't sound like you do.
    Thanks! Nope, not sight seeing, pre-national amateur training starts Monday morning, don't want to be late.

Take 84 to I5 S. That's the fastest most direct route...
    Fastest? Maybe. Most direct? Not so sure.

If you take Hiway 20, from Ontario, ID, through Bend, OR, then 126 down to Eugene, it shaves 100 miles off the trip. However, it probably doesn't save you all that much time. I have driven the Bend/Eugene portion and it's a nice drive and you can still go a decent pace. Not familiar with the Bend to Ontario, ID portion.
    Ron
    www.portlandlabrador.com
    A Lab has no appreciation for the artistic value of a bonsai tree, but does appreciate their potential as chew toys.

The drive on 84 along the Columbia River is pretty spectacular scenery, even if you don't have time to stop....
    Marlana Smith
    APR SHR TDK's Dusty Gunslinger JH - "Churchill"
    CPR Max's Black Diamond Girl Scout JH - "Scout"

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron in Portland View Post
    Fastest? Maybe. Most direct? Not so sure.

If you take Hiway 20, from Ontario, ID, through Bend, OR, then 126 down to Eugene, it shaves 100 miles off the trip. However, it probably doesn't save you all that much time. I have driven the Bend/Eugene portion and it's a nice drive and you can still go a decent pace. Not familiar with the Bend to Ontario, ID portion.

True but he said he didn't want a two lane mountain route so that takes that off the table.
    Steven

Wild Meadow Retrievers

Interstate to Portland and then south on I-5 is the fastest. However you want to plan on avoiding rush hour traffic through Portland. To be safe I wouldn't want to drive through Portland anytime between 3-7pm
    ~Willie Alderson

"Drake" Willey's Drake Seeker Supreme MH

"Roxi" Alder Creeks Riparian Roxi

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Alderson View Post
    Interstate to Portland and then south on I-5 is the fastest. However you want to plan on avoiding rush hour traffic through Portland. To be safe I wouldn't want to drive through Portland anytime between 3-7pm
    Agree

If you go through portland during rush hr take 205s off 84 and it will connect you to I5 and avoid some of the worst traffic.
    Steven

Wild Meadow Retrievers

Agree

If you go through portland during rush hr take 205s off 84 and it will connect you to I5 and avoid some of the worst traffic.
    If you go thru Portland at rush hour 205 can be the worst option to get to I-5. If you have a Google Maps based GPS it will direct you to the least traffic route at that specific time. But mostly avoid Portland in the mornings or evenings.

The drive down I-84 thru the Columbia River Gorge is spectacular to say the least. The other options are pretty scenic too though. Shouldn't have any trouble with snow in the passes right now taking either route.

Skywatcher Salem Orchard Hard "Cider"

The 20 to 126 route used to be an hour or more faster before they raised the interstate speed limits. In my experience its still about 30 min faster, and my choice, because I prefer to avoid Portlands traffic.

For Ed, I would recommend the I84 route, with the 205 bypass, since you prefer to avoid the mountain 2 lanes
    -=#David

Well, this started off as a really interesting thread. Too bad we couldn't keep it that way. (Rick_C 2009, Classic RTF)
    __________________________________________________ _
    Take what you get and thank them (the Judges) afterwards no matter what the outcome. (Moira Sheehan)