The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a dog survive kidney failure caused by lyme disease?

Default Anyone have a dog survive kidney failure caused by lyme disease?

I am not certain what I am looking for other than hope....

Not my dog, but a friend's dog, and I am afraid that she will lose this dog too after already losing her other dog in November to hermangiosarcoma.

5 year old male lab. Dx'd with Lyme disease on Thursday, was limping and did some vomiting on Tuesday prior to appointment which triggered the visit. Started on doxy, still trouble with holding food down, recheck Saturday, creatinine levels at 3+. Started on reglan to control vomiting. That has actually gotten better and dog appears perkier, although still not eating well, but drinking.

Started on supportive fluid therapy today with additional medications including more anti-nausea meds and steroids, but creatinine now 6+.

I have not included all of the information about treatment because this isn't to question treatment protocols for this, I am only looking for somebody who might have a dog that survived as I am looking for that glimmer of hope.

Thanks,

Deb Z

Where there is a will, there is a way.

I'm sorry, very sorry. All the dogs that I know who had Lyme nephritis didn't survive more than a few weeks.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Deb...so sorry for your friends loss and now the second dog is ill...when it rains it poors.

We have 3 Golden's one female at 10 yrs., one male at 7yrs., and our new girls at 18mo.....Our male was hit with what turned out to be Lyme disease at about 3 years old. We were on a cruise, and our adult son had to deal with it until we could get back. We almost lost our dog as the vet at the kennel he was boarded at could not get a diagnosis, the initial tick panel was negative. After over $4,000 in tests and overnight emergency care, the vet transported him to a 24 hour emergency care center, this happened just as we got back. Here they quickly diagnosed the problem, got him off of all the pain meds he was on, and then put him on IV to hydrate him, started him on Doxy and anti diarrhea meds, etc. In around three days he improved. We kept him on Doxy for 12 months, our vet went against protocol and wanted to be aggressive. I do not recall his kidney panels from being sick, but seems like everything was shutting down...after three weeks he completely recovered, but has had two relapses of lymes when stressed by us being gone or physical activity (duck hunting in cold weather) he is retired now. Both times Doxy snapped him right out of it, as we all new what was going on. His kidney's and livers so far are fine although he has pancreatitis which was caused by the lyme, but after we got that treated by the vet, again really sick, we put him on a low fat diet and again he is on the top of his game. So my advise is stay the course.

Also our older girl was diagnosed with kidney failure two years ago. She had a major infection in her kidney's and they told us she had lost almost all of her kidneys. We were devastated, but the treated her with antibiotics and she recovered. She has been perfectly fine every since and her liver functions returned to pretty much normal. So do not give up on this dog, as the tests are not always conclusive....our older girl had a breast tumor (Tubular Adenocrcinoma) removed in January...we caught it early and the tumor reported that it had clear margins after being removed. So far she has been fine, unlike humans dogs mammary glands are not under the muscles, so the tumor removal was fairly painless. We are praying that she will be OK on this one...

Bottom line is these dogs are pretty tough and give and chance and some help they can get through a lot...not always true, but I have learned to never give up until you know for sure....

I feel for anyone who has to see a dog have kidney failure due to anything. I lost my 10 year chocolate boy to kidney failure in Jan. It was six months from diagnosis to when I had to put him down. He had never had any issues whatsoever until then. It was not easy to handle and I hope your friend's dog can come around like the post above me. I wasn't so lucky. Best of luck...

Lyme Nephritis is bad. I am wondering if you friend's dog was ever vaccinated for Lyme. And if so, was the old vaccine used? I know one person who spent $10k and lost the dog. One of FC Honor's pups was lost at 3..... and had been vaccinated with the old vaccine. The owner spent about $4k and still lost the dog.

I am very sorry for your friend and the dog. The prognosis is very poor. I hope they can pull off a win.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Lyme nephritis is not cureable. Maintainable for a while, but by the time we realized the damage has been done, there is no reversing the destruction done to the kidneys.

The Lyme bacteria does not cause the kidney destruction, rather it's the dog's overwhelming immune response and subsequent production of amyloid that gets laid down in the kidneys that causes kidney failure.

There are some infectious dz DVMs that postulate that giving the Lyme vaccine actually sets the dog up for that overwhelming immune response. I am on the fence about that one.
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by wheelhorse View Post
    There are some infectious dz DVMs that postulate that giving the Lyme vaccine actually sets the dog up for that overwhelming immune response.
    the old vaccine. The dogs that I have seen die of lyme nephritis had the old vaccine on board. Purportedly, that's not the case with the new versions. Of course, the vaccine company always denied any correlation to lyme nephritis and the old vaccine, but vets who treat labs regularly always seemed to think there was a correlation.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    the old vaccine.
    The seminar that discussed this was only 18 months ago. It is the immune response to the vaccine and/or the spirochete that stimulates the immune-mediated glomerulonephritis.

Some DVMs have tried immunosupressive doses of Prednisone or even cancer drugs, Cytoxan or Imuran to suppress that immune response. Best results happen if given early in the disease process.
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

Lyme Nephritis, not good. Never heard of it til one of my pup buyers lost theirs at 6 and they live locally, so looked it up after I got his panicked call, then discussed with our mutual vet, who said he's never seen one survive very long. Dog was taken to U of MN but there wasn't anything saving her. That dog never had Lyme vaccine. I've had two older dogs go into kidney failure (9 + 10) where TBD was suspected as at least part of the cause. The first made it 7 months with diet change, meds and daily fluids I gave at home. The current one is on month three, with same treatment, and doing OK. Their numbers when we started, BUN 144+, creatinine 6+. The Yahoo group, K9 Kidney Diet, is a wealth of information for managing kidney failure, if it can be.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

I just wanted to say thanks to all who replied. I appreciate all of the responses, and I have had some really great replies via PMs.

My friend's dog had a recheck yesterday. His creatinine dropped to 4.2, BUN is 82, urine checked and is not better, still spilling protein.

Overall he feels better and is playing some and eating better on his own.

He is retaining some fluid and she needs to continue to weigh him. Fluids and other meds will be continued. Recheck in two weeks, and of course the prognosis is guarded.

Thanks again for everything. It is nice to turn to a resource such as this one that has so many people with experience in so many areas.

At this point we don't know what tomorrow will bring, but I hope for her sake that there are many more, and hopefully in a good quality of life situation.

Deb

Where there is a will, there is a way.