Thread: The National Labrador Club letter to conformation judges

Senior Member Twin Willows Labs's Avatar

Oh snap! Shots fired.
    "If you're too busy to duck hunt, you're too busy" - Jase Robertson
    "You're going hunting again? In this weather?" - My fiance

Twin Willows Lil Miss Zoey JH
    Soon to be the next big thing.
    Andrew's Baby Saint
    The queen bee. Old and deaf. My version of the once-in-a-lifetime dog. I regret not sharing her with the world.

I think this would be a good time to place photos of all the competitors for the Nat. Am. along side photos of all the CH dogs from the past 12 months. I'd be willing to bet, if the standard were applied to all, more FC/AFC dogs would be "called back" than the bench dogs! Wouldn't that be fun?
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by jeff t. View Post
    Some who support this measure have also suggested that LRC take additional action to require Labradors competing in field trials to also abide by the standard.
    It would be a mistake to see this as analogous to the attempt to correct the tend in conformation. The standard was written for conformation judging and has changed little; as the letter says, it's appropriate for the parent club to try to see its standard applied.

The rules and standards for field trials were written as performance standards. To come in and suddenly apply a conformation standard, disqualifying someone's dog for a bad bite or being tall or short, especially after that dog has had years' worth of expensive training, would be arbitrary.

Amy Dahl

Step in the right direction, I M O....
    Marlana Smith
    APR SHR TDK's Dusty Gunslinger JH - "Churchill"
    CPR Max's Black Diamond Girl Scout JH - "Scout"

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff t. View Post
    Some who support this measure have also suggested that LRC take additional action to require Labradors competing in field trials to also abide by the standard.
    Check out the premium for the National Amat.

June 14 2014, at the same time and place as the bitch check, a conformation evaluation/certificate will be available to those who wish to avail themselves. There is a $15 charge.

It didn't say Labs only!

Tim
    Last edited by Tim Carrion; 06-05-2014 at 09:27 AM.
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

When Health conscientious America; start calling a show lab disgustingly Obese in public blogs, the LRC finally puts something out addressing it . Then there's the FT peeps who put their dogs in a conformation evaluation who are gasp in standard (weight and height), after being told they were too Tall- Leggy, and weedy thin something gets highlighted on a letter. So I wonder what we must do now to get the Long haired show lab back to the correct coat, and the rottweiler mug back to a retriever snout. Still it's just a letter, which will probably be ignored; unless someone puts up another scathingly account, after every Big commercial show that the LRC doesn't like
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by afdahl View Post
    It would be a mistake to see this as analogous to the attempt to correct the tend in conformation. The standard was written for conformation judging and has changed little; as the letter says, it's appropriate for the parent club to try to see its standard applied.

The rules and standards for field trials were written as performance standards. To come in and suddenly apply a conformation standard, disqualifying someone's dog for a bad bite or being tall or short, especially after that dog has had years' worth of expensive training, would be arbitrary.

Amy Dahl
    wasn't the standard written as a "breed" standard regardless of what game the dog plays?

Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post
    Good. Now, let's hope the GRCA follows suit. Here - "Primarily a hunting dog, [the Golden Retriever] should be shown in hard working condition."
    Granted it's been 5 or 6 years since I've been to an all breed show, but from memory I don't recall the Goldens being fat. However, it was kind of hard to tell because of the huge overwhelming coats.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by gdluck View Post
    wasn't the standard written as a "breed" standard regardless of what game the dog plays?
    True, but the 'breed standard' is used by the Rules Policies and Guidelines for Conformation Dog Show Judges--basically the show dog rules. FT's have their own rules which make no reference to the breed standard.

This letter is basically saying to conformation judges to enforce the rules already in the books--similar to when the powers that be in field events send out a letter saying to have an honor in AA stakes or make the handlers shoulder the fake gun in HTs. To add conformation to FT would take a serious change in the FT rules, would affect all breeds eligible to run, etc. and basically would never pass.

There are options available to the parent club if they want to ensure that FT dogs exhibit conformation or bench dogs have field abilities, but they can't require FTs to take them into account as they parent club doesn't control that.

What would be wrong with developing a Body Mass Index for competition dogs with say over 30% fat DQs or what ever number. It works for humans and I struggled to keep a BMI # to maintian a job. Military also has restrictions.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."