The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (GDG) Verizon 4g lte internet? Anyone use this for home or buisness use? Rural area

Default (GDG) Verizon 4g lte internet? Anyone use this for home or buisness use? Rural area

I keep having problems with my Home Fusion, Had problems with sattelite.
    Just recieved a router today but dont like the fact it has to use a batterey.
    Thanks for any help, I cant get search to work.
    Brad

Have had Verizon wireless internet for several years. The claim of 4G LTE was a selling point but three years later the frequency of that connection has not changed and is generally less than 25% of the time. Otherwise it is slow and less than satisfactory, I plan to try the AT&T version for a 30 day trial. And if you want a real treat spend some time with Verizon Customer Service!

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Have had Verizon wireless internet for several years. The claim of 4G LTE was a selling point but three years later the frequency of that connection has not changed and is generally less than 25% of the time. Otherwise it is slow and less than satisfactory, I plan to try the AT&T version for a 30 day trial. And if you want a real treat spend some time with Verizon Customer Service!
    Verizon Customer Service can't be any worse than having to deal with HughesNet Customer Service. Service went out before midnight; I call in around 2:30 a.m., told that the problem was with my machine;not their service and was given a number to call after 9 am for "tier" - Home Support Service. Call at 9 am, after a long spiel, was finally told that they aren't HughesNet, but for $99.99 they would fix my problem one time, or I could sign up with a set up fee and then $17.99 a month. Uhhhh, I don't think so!!!
    Call HughesNet back, was told that they were doing a "software upgrade" and that it should be completed in a hour or two. When I asked if software upgrades normally told over 12 hour, they had no explanation. Called back in 2 hours, then told that their "engineers" were working on a problem with the service. 14 hours later, I called and complained; was told that they would give me a credit for one day service....a whopping $2.63.

Since we don't have 4g LTE in the area of our home, that isn't an option. Unless someone lives in urban or suburban areas, internet service is dismal with the choices

Good luck Brad.
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

I guess customer service in general is an oxymoron having spent half an hour with Sirius to renew and understand my service and it wasn't renewed so I get to do it again.

The home fusion is fast but ubreliable lately. I got package today for 4GLTE and when I noticed it works off a battery it scares me and called tech suport about it and he had to do internet search, then I was told to call customer service and call got disconnected after a long time on hold.
    My concern mostly was the that shipped it to me and said it would save me $$ per month but im not sure if it will by looking at the paper work so I had to call customer support and lost call and got fed up. I was told I had 14 days to return it at no charge but when wife got a free IPAD at a seminar and I got to looking at the paper work there were strings attached.
    Oh and on Home Fusion when it dont work they always tell me to unplug it for 15 seconds and wait to see if it works. If it does problem solved? then talk to other tech guys and its always there updating the towers or software upgrade is coming

Yay - something I can answer. I've been using the service for business since it was 3G, since we don't have FIOS where I am and I can't stand Comcast. 3G worked very well and got good signal anywhere When I was upgraded to 4G (wasn't optional), found that the signal is a lot less reliable - when 4G isn't available it reverts to 3G. Would be ok if you could stay on 3G, but when they're working on the system every time the 4G comes up it disconnects you and reconnects at 4G - even if it's going to kick out again in a couple of minutes. Some websites don't seem to care, but a lot of them do (especially government ones) and you have to keep starting over. I also find that when I use it with my laptop it's a lot harder to find a 4G signal depending on where you are.

As for cost, the basic plan is a good deal, but you have to watch your usage - it can really add up quickly, especially with software downloads that update automatically (Windows 7 is murder for this.) Or when you buy new programs and they download instead of sending a disk. I've had months where my cost doubled from the "base" rate, and unfortunately you can't really control it when it's for work - if you need some files, you can't just wait til the next months time starts, and windows doesn't give you the option to tell it to wait to download the updates.

And if it doesn't work at all, first step before you even call customer service is to take the SIM card out for a few minutes, re-insert and try again. IF that doesn't work you call. As for the customer service people, I've actually had good luck with the Verizon Wireless people- a lot better than with the Verizon land line people.

Art

like Dr A, i have had Verizon wireless internet for more than a couple of years..it is NOT 4G..I do however get internet service in some of the most bizarre obscure areas and then poor to lousy service in others..for example I got very good internet service in Mr Fowler's pasture in Bonham TX but very poor service at the hotel in town, same goes for the FT grounds in SLC but moderate signals at the local hotels..

I will caution you that the newer iPhones, iPads, Galaxy, and Samsung tablets will literally eat up your monthly allowance of data, because they are 4G and they are always searching for a signal for all their apps and location services. I purchase a Nexus tablet and forgot that I left the wifi on, it automatically downloaded all the updates and I got a complimentary warning notice that I had gone thru 75%of my data usage for the month within a couple of days...Verizon no longer offers unlimited data plans, they grandfathered my plan when I went from a BBerry to an iPhone, but no longer made it available when I upgraded to a Galaxy

and on a side note to Dr A...the best way to deal with Sirius/XM is to cancel your subscription or even threaten to cancel, within two days of cancelling my service they offered me service for $20/6months...but between iHeart,Pandora,Tunein radio satellite radio is all but doomed
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

We have the Verizon 4g and telephone box for our house and also take it when we travel in our our camper. It works well but is expensive. We use about 30GB month between our phones and home wireless. It is the best solution for our internet usage.

Middle of Michigan n Matagorda TX (no more cause the RV park we stayed in said no to outside dogs.

We have had verizon for many years, not perfect but right now I am online with our Jetpack. It has slowed a bit since we have leaves on the trees in the forests of Northern MI. We gave up on Hughes after many disasters and we live so far off the track that our landline would not support a fax machine. We have used either our phones via PDANET all over the US since we got 3 or 4G.
    Added the Jetpack a couple of years ago without problems with the equipment. If your phone will work it will work.

I say all over, ND-MI and points inbetween MI-TX-AR and all routes inbetween. Really almost anywhere east of the rocky Mtns. Trips out east to ME, VT, NC, MD, and inbetween. We rarely connect to wireless while on the road mainly because I am a little paranoid about security and I think our sevices is slightly more secure unless you work for the NSA then you got us.....

All that said it is not the greatest speed, sometimes we wait for video downloads but we don't do videos or movies very often because of data limits.
    John C aka jacduck

Do you really want to increase entries at the Junior Hunt Test level? Simply put a limit on entries and everyone will flock to JR and fight over how to get in and what to change to make it fair for all !!!!!

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Quote Originally Posted by Sabireley View Post
    We have the Verizon 4g and telephone box for our house and also take it when we travel in our our camper. It works well but is expensive. We use about 30GB month between our phones and home wireless. It is the best solution for our internet usage.
    No cable internet service here. So I had Verizon 4G service also. Had the separate receiver initially then just used the hot spot on my phone. Same service, same 3-7 mbps. Was using 8-10GB per month while using wifi anywhere I could find it to save money. Verizon charges $10/GB, i.e. $80-100 for my usage. My actual monthly usage averages approx 12-15 GBs (including the free wifi I find). Switched to Exede satellite 3 months ago after I read about their new satellite with 15 mbps+ service. That's 3-4x faster than Verizon & double the usage at the same price. You also get unlimited usage which doesn't count against your total between 12AM & 5AM so I schedule all my downloads during that time. I am very pleased with Exede & enough bandwidth to satisfy 3-5 devices at the same time at 15-18 mbps.
    Last edited by Granddaddy; 06-29-2014 at 01:46 PM.
    David Didier, GA