The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pigeons: Health Related Risks

Quote Originally Posted by swliszka View Post
    Their bickering is probably due to female/male bird ratios. They also establish a territorial and alpha order. They fight sometimes w/in sexes for dominance. I feed them wild bird seed cheaper than racing pigeon feed but make sure they have plenty of grit. If your loft is too small that can cause space competition. Makes sure they have a fly /exercise area predator proof to their shelter/loft area. Rollers and homers coexist well but space is the issue. Too many birds for a space = disease/fights. !7-18 days for eggs from laid to hatch. Squeakers another 5 weeks before hardy. Sometimes non-parental birds will attack the squeakers in their nest area if parents are not present. Additionally when squeakers do not have a perch to get on , they can be attacked by older birds who love to pick the top of their heads, sometimes leading to death. Once you get your own strain going do not mix so as to prevent health issues.
    Thanks, That is a lot of good information. I was worried about inbreeding but it doesn't sound like that is a problem.

Inbreeding is not a problem for your training purposes altho rollers like to go up and high. I had one bird for over two years who I only clipped one wing side primary flight feathers. I shot the popper and threw him up he would go out and sit down and wait for the dog to pick him up. If you have a hard mouth dog , or one who is teething DO NOT give him a bird because he will kill the bird by crunching or ripping the skin. Wait till the pup has his teeth grown. You find out real quick what kind of dog you have. Remember the rule book about damaged game retrieved.

Quote Originally Posted by swliszka View Post
    Inbreeding is not a problem for your training purposes altho rollers like to go up and high. I had one bird for over two years who I only clipped one wing side primary flight feathers. I shot the popper and threw him up he would go out and sit down and wait for the dog to pick him up. If you have a hard mouth dog , or one who is teething DO NOT give him a bird because he will kill the bird by crunching or ripping the skin. Wait till the pup has his teeth grown. You find out real quick what kind of dog you have. Remember the rule book about damaged game retrieved.
    I have used a roller once and planning to use the homer next time. My 11 week pup picked him up by the head and by the wing and was pretty ruff with it. The bird has just about recovered. Thanks again. I just planning to do it a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyRetrievers View Post
    Ha. I've got a buddy who takes them home at eats them after we're done training with them!
    I don't know you!

I think the OP asked about disease. I am sure there are many diseases, but I know two guys, one being J Paul Jackson who caught histoplasmosis. Can't say for sure where they got it, but both of these men were around pigeons, and the disease usually comes from inhaling particles of droppings.

Histoplasmosis enables a parasite to enter the body. It prefers to establish itself in the eyes and eat one's retina. Both J Paul and my friend suffered significant damage to their eyesight.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him.” — Gene Hill

That was probably due to poor sanitation conditions in the pigeon holding area. Weekly cleaning , coupled w/cholorox , washdown , together w/as stated good ventilation for birds and humans. How many are concerned about their cat's kitty litter where fecal/urine deposits are breeding grounds for who knows what. Equally outdoor sandboxes are notorious for attracting cats, little kids play, put stuff in mouth , contract all types of parasitic disease. Common sense is NOT common when it comes to animal husbandry due to the urbanization of our population ,even dog owners.

Sounds like ya need some of dem dere organic pigeons

These men were around them, not raising them. Sometimes you just aren't lucky.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him.” — Gene Hill

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    I would be way more worried about what one might get from ducks--especially on Sunday afternoon.
    In the FT game, if you're still playing on Sunday Afternoon you'll deal with what happens later

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

pigeons can get a respiratory problem, if you notice them sneezing or a discharge from there nose buy tetracycline from your local feed store and add it to their water, clears it right up
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )