The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are black puppies harder to sell?

Default Why are black puppies harder to sell?

This is just my experience...Nice repeat breeding...last litter produced titled dogs..1 ran the Grand this year. Is color more important now than health clearances and Pedigree. Could'nt tell you how many have called looking for Silvers, Reds, and Chocolates. Black male pups are even harder to sell...females only. Looks like I will have a bunch of nice started dogs ready for duck season. Has anyone else had this experience?
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    - Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Tim Nichols
    Fall Flight Retrievers
    http://www.fallflightretrievers.com

HRCH Fall Flight's Flamin Mojo
    HRCH Fall Flight's Dark Storm A Comin
    HRCH Fall Flight's Darkwater Drake
    HR Fall Flight's Cocoa Painted Lady

Quote Originally Posted by Fall Flight View Post
    This is just my experience...Nice repeat breeding...last litter produced titled dogs..1 ran the Grand this year. Is color more important now than health clearances and Pedigree. Could'nt tell you how many have called looking for Silvers, Reds, and Chocolates. Black male pups are even harder to sell...females only. Looks like I will have a bunch of nice started dogs ready for duck season. Has anyone else had this experience?
    To the general public, yes color and other things are much more important. Hunt test dogs are marketed more towards the general public, hunters, or occasional HT people. Really serious HT folks likely go for a FT pedigreed dog. IF you are going to market to someone who cares about pedigree you better have a REALLY good one that sells the litter above all else. An good but average pedigree will get people in the door looking but those other things like color will be more of the decision driver for them. The popularity of anything with -doodle on the end of it tells us something about what the general public thinks of pedigree.

Lots of pet people go for color. But really,it varies. Generally all of my blacks are sold before theyre born. Then Murphy steps in, and if you have blacks,people invariably want yellow and if you have yellow-people want black!
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Billie View Post
    ........if you have blacks,people invariably want yellow and if you have yellow-people want black!
    Not sure why that is, but it does seem like it is always that way.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

Titled as in????????????
    Price???????????
    Pedigree????????
    Too many variables in you question to actually answer with anything other than a W.A.G.
    Certain peds are either common or priced out of the realistic market rate for said ped.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

The popularity of anything with -doodle on the end of it tells us something about what the general public thinks of pedigree.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaonmymind View Post
    The popularity of anything with -doodle on the end of it tells us something about what the general public thinks of pedigree.

I'm working on some Platnum Labs next, most rare precious metal know to man. The Titanium Labs are the most durable.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

The general public is a fickle beast. What it wants varies from year to year, and is easily swayed by marketing gimmicks (Silver Labs, Doodles, etc.).

Try marketing them as "Rare Ebony Labs" snd see how many takers you get.

'cause they aint chocolate
    Kenneth Farris

If my dog only knew what he could get..........
    HRCH South Wind Brody Jo MH

I started breeding yellow labs around seven years ago. Had a hard time selling the last few pups normally. It's gotten better as I have built up a somewhat of a good reputation for breeding good hunting dogs, ( my target customer). Many of the members in my group training have stated openly how yellows and chocolates are inferior to blacks. I just laugh and say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I haven't figured out why males take longer to sell than the females. It's just a matter of preference I guess or the misconception that females are easier to train than males.