The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are black puppies harder to sell?

Quote Originally Posted by Swampcollie View Post
    The general public is a fickle beast. What it wants varies from year to year, and is easily swayed by marketing gimmicks (Silver Labs, Doodles, etc.).

Try marketing them as "Rare Ebony Labs" snd see how many takers you get.
    Marketing brilliance!
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

Quote Originally Posted by fishin444 View Post
    I started breeding yellow labs around seven years ago. Had a hard time selling the last few pups normally. It's gotten better as I have built up a somewhat of a good reputation for breeding good hunting dogs, ( my target customer). Many of the members in my group training have stated openly how yellows and chocolates are inferior to blacks. I just laugh and say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I haven't figured out why males take longer to sell than the females. It's just a matter of preference I guess or the misconception that females are easier to train than males.
    Easy Watson, females can be bred and you can make lots and lots of Chedda selling $500 puppies. The general public/ordinally public are idiots when it comes to dogs, also can include 99% of the hunters.
    Just Win

Now with Chessie's it seems to me that the males are going quicker than the females. (No idea if color makes a difference.) I went through a lengthy search with a couple of litters not taking and there were always more deposits on male pups. I guess I am part of the problem as I was looking for a male. Mostly because the wife's pound puppy is a female. Better house dynamic with one of each, IMHO.

But yeah, I could really see color making a bigger difference for those not into the dog games. Lots of wife and kid input with those buyers.

I had a person contact me about a yellow female puppy. I sent him a picture per his request. The reply was that "his family" (i.e. his wife and daughter) would prefer a lighter shade of yellow!

I guess all of the time and effort taken to breed healthy talented puppies is wasted on some people.

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Just a thought...it seems like there are more black lab litters out there to buy. I just bought a dog in February and when I was looking I could find a black all day long. I wanted a yellow, don't know why I just did.

So maybe they're not harder to sell, but there's just a bigger pool to choose from???? Who knows...

Tony

Black males are usually the hardest. Pet people never want them. What's the number one call for me right now? BLACK MALES. Go figure. My homes looking for competition pups could care less. Good thing. I'm doing a By to By breeding. I could end up with thousands of combos!
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Quite honestly, I sell my blacks before the yellows sell. I prefer black and usually do breedings where either all the pups will be black or maybe might have a token yellow. The pups are usually sold before they are 2 weeks old.

Maybe it's the area you are in?

Quote Originally Posted by suepuff View Post
    Black males are usually the hardest. Pet people never want them. What's the number one call for me right now? BLACK MALES.
    I did two litters close together once (never again!) and had 18 pups between the two dams. 15 of those were black males!! I thought I'd have those black males for the rest of my life. The black males sold first and I actually had a black female left over. I tried to sell her for weeks and nobody wanted a black female, so I kept her.

She was my Shanny, who passed away 13 weeks ago at the age of 15. She inspired a book, made me laugh each and every day and managed to befriend people all over the world.

Im sorry,,but a Labrador retriever is BLACK!!!

They dont have a purple hue to them....

the roofof their mouth is black

their belly skin is black!!

A Labrador Retriever is Black!

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

I board dogs for a living, and I see very, very few pet labradors that are black. Almost everyone wants yellow or chocolate.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com