The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rooting for California Chrome

While Steve Coburn was not gracious in defeat, what he said is true.. We will never see another Triple Crown winner under these rules.

This controversy is great for Horse Racing, it gets the issue out front in the press, because they love to air dirty laundry. New York made out well by the run for the Triple Crown.

CC did look tired even before the race, he just was not up for a run on a warm day. So here is what I don't understand....

Why not change the schedule.. Keep the Kentucky Derby on the same day, but let the horses rest 4 weeks before the Preakness, and run the Belmont on a nice fall day in cooler weather. Let them recover all summer, get bigger, and then see who can last the mile and a half..

I understand a great horse like Secretariat was able to pull it off, but his only competition in the Belmont was Sham who had run all three races. The best horse won all three events.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Secretariat had one other major competitor and that was the clock. Does he not hold the record for times in all three races?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Storts View Post
    Secretariat had one other major competitor and that was the clock. Does he not hold the record for times in all three races?
    Best horse ever... and Sham wasn't bad either...

The heart Big Red had was immense. His Belmont race will never be beat IMO... to have a horse pull away like that and win by 31 lengths will not be repeated. I had high hopes CC would go to lead and stay in front, but his jockey held him back. He may have won if he put pressure on the other horses earlier.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    While Steve Coburn was not gracious in defeat, what he said is true.. We will never see another Triple Crown winner under these rules.

This controversy is great for Horse Racing, it gets the issue out front in the press, because they love to air dirty laundry. New York made out well by the run for the Triple Crown.

CC did look tired even before the race, he just was not up for a run on a warm day. So here is what I don't understand....

Why not change the schedule.. Keep the Kentucky Derby on the same day, but let the horses rest 4 weeks before the Preakness, and run the Belmont on a nice fall day in cooler weather. Let them recover all summer, get bigger, and then see who can last the mile and a half..

I understand a great horse like Secretariat was able to pull it off, but his only competition in the Belmont was Sham who had run all three races. The best horse won all three events.
    I have followed the TC races since I was a kid...CChrome is not the first horse to get beat by "fresh legs"...to all of a sudden change the racing schedule to accomodate a TC contender does a disservice to the past TC winners...thats the beauty of the TC, we have gotten our hearts broken the last decade with the likes of Silver Charm, Charismatic,War Emblem,and now CChrome

To win the TC you need a GREAT horse and a little bit of racing LUCK...racing analyst Jerry Bailey called the winner Tonalist three weeks ago during the Preakness telecast

the story of CChrome is part media hype, they made it sound like he was the first horse to go after the TC since '78...he was not..He was the best horse on the first Saturday in May, he was very lucky in the Preakness

he got beat by THREE horses at the Belmont, fair and square
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

In some ways I agree with Magnum #31/#33 and BonMallari #34. I think it has to remain the way it is for the sheer difficulty that it represents. I have prided my self on being a competitor aside from my dogs (they have small brains) but years ago when I ran my 16th month old derby dog in a 43 dog derby the tests were difficult and the judges tough. We got down to 6 dogs called-back for the 4th series water. Three dogs blew up , one had massive wounds another a huge owie. My dog, my day, he won going away. Those are the moments I still hunker for after 37 years. Sorry CC you were not Secretariat nor Super Chief , etc.. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I have followed the TC races since I was a kid...CChrome is not the first horse to get beat by "fresh legs"...to all of a sudden change the racing schedule to accomodate a TC contender does a disservice to the past TC winners...thats the beauty of the TC, we have gotten our hearts broken the last decade with the likes of Silver Charm, Charismatic,War Emblem,and now CChrome

To win the TC you need a GREAT horse and a little bit of racing LUCK...racing analyst Jerry Bailey called the winner Tonalist three weeks ago during the Preakness telecast

the story of CChrome is part media hype, they made it sound like he was the first horse to go after the TC since '78...he was not..He was the best horse on the first Saturday in May, he was very lucky in the Preakness

he got beat by THREE horses at the Belmont, fair and square
    Amen brother. Don't leave out Real Quite who missed by a nose. Magnum wants to cheapen the accomplishment. Who cares if it takes 100 years? Not me, I want to see the best of the best and lets breed iron horses not I need a break horses. BTW the injury to CC was not that severe. He wouldn't even know it happened till the next day when it hurt a little. Adreniline.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Can you guys crituque the jockeys strategy?
    I saw the horses snout down, like the jockey was holding him back, then it was too late.
    I dont think CC could have withstood the charge by the winner, but it seemed flawed strategy in retrospect.
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Can you guys crituque the jockeys strategy?
    I saw the horses snout down, like the jockey was holding him back, then it was too late.
    I dont think CC could have withstood the charge by the winner, but it seemed flawed strategy in retrospect.
    tough call Stan. Victor made a decision to rate and hold the horse and try to conserve energy for the finish. It is a decision made in a matter of a fraction of a second. Sometimes they are right sometimes they are not. Personally I thought he made the right decision but my opinion is in the minority.

BTW might be biased. Victor won a Stake for us at Lone Star Park by rating and being patient. I just thought of a comparison. I know you were an athlete so you come to the line of scrimmage. Play to the right you get the ball you read the blocks you cut right. Well if you missed seeing the oLB you get hammered. If you cut left open field. I think CC just got beat.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    tough call Stan. Victor made a decision to rate and hold the horse and try to conserve energy for the finish. It is a decision made in a matter of a fraction of a second. Sometimes they are right sometimes they are not. Personally I thought he made the right decision but my opinion is in the minority.

BTW might be biased. Victor won a Stake for us at Lone Star Park by rating and being patient. I just thought of a comparison. I know you were an athlete so you come to the line of scrimmage. Play to the right you get the ball you read the blocks you cut right. Well if you missed seeing the oLB you get hammered. If you cut left open field. I think CC just got beat.
    I get it, sort of like "why didnt they pass on that down, instead of run."
    I didnt like how ths jock was whippi+g the horse, it appeared the horse had no more to give.
    No shame in giving all you got, EVER!
    Stan b & Elvis

I agree with Tim...rating the horse was the right move. I think the problem was in trying to go wide....that particular track gets deep in the middle and wears a horse out. I hate to even call it a mistake, because it's more of a split second judgement call by a very talented jockey known for making good decisions. You really don't know what the picture looked like unless you're in the middle of that group....was there a hole that could open up?

As for the injury, it's hard to say. I did notice he wasn't opening his stride the way he usually does...it's longer than most horses stride is. And every horse reacts to pain differently. Some are drama queens, others don't notice it. He'll be a little sore to the touch for a bit, but not unsound, I'd bet.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith