The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Tims switch over ?

Default Dr. Tims switch over ?

I have just changed my puppy over to Dr. Tim's Pursuit Formula and have a small concern. My girl is coming off of PP Large breed puppy and has done great transitioning. Maintained solid stools and no visible symptoms. The concern I have is I am feeding the high side of the recommended amount and she still wants more. She acts like she is starving and constantly begs to be fed (sitting at pantry door, etc). I do know that she likes Dr. Tim's better than PP as she would always pick it out first to eat when we were transitioning with a mixture of both. Her weight is good, energy levels are good. Is she really still hungry or just likes it that much more. Should I be concerned? If her weight stays good do I just ignore her begging. Tricks to stop it?

Any ideas?

No concern. Some just like to eat.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg

She didn't act that way with the PPP , as a matter of fact she was kind of finicky. Tricks to stop the begging or just ignore?

Some like certain foods better than others. I have one that didn't like puppy food but acts just like that for PP. I would just ignore.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg

Think about two burgers one is McDonalds and the other is a fresh patty grilled with all the fixings, which one would you want more of?
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

Be careful Dr. Tims will put weight on pups quick!! I had to cut back a cup!! It's good stuff!!
    On the run!! Always Stay MAXXED OUT!!

There is a lot more meat in Dr. Tim's ... it tastes better... she just wants more of the good stuff.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Mine always wants more when they eat. They have those eyes about them that says you missed feeding me!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

I was in the exact same boat as you but using Kinesis. As a pup, they likely need more than the recommended feeding on the bag, which I believe is for adult dogs.

Specifically, the feeding chart says I should give him 2.5 cups of Kinesis reflecting his current weight, and about 3 cups for projected weight. At 4-5 months I feed him 5 cups a day, and he still wants more. I'm just keeping a close eye on his weight and tone.

Send them an email with your concern and situation. I just did yesterday and he responded very promptly and suggested I continue to do what I have been doing.

I second the taste factor of Dr. Tims. My older dog that used to leave 4health food in her bowl gobbles up every bit of Dr. Tim's. My dad has a picky wiener dog that doesn't touch any hard dog food, but will eat a serving of Dr. Tim's.
    Last edited by TXPride; 06-07-2014 at 01:36 AM.

Personally I don't like feeding guidelines but they are required to be put onto the bags. I get it as folks need some sort of a guide to start their dog on each food they choose to feed. But the best way to gauge the amount to feed is by using common sense. Feel the dog is priority number one, especially the furry types. You want some cushion on the ribs but still able to feel those ribs. This tells you if the weight they are carrying is adequate. A good tummy tuck is a way to look at this as well.

Number two is actually number two. Are the stools solid? If they are you are not feeding too much and the food in question is being utilized properly. If it is soft then either you are overfeeding (too much stuff for the GI tract to properly digest in the time it has to do its job) or the food is not very digestible in and of itself.

Third is does the dog have the energy you wish to see. A fat dog gets winded quickly as does a poorly conditioned dog. Touch them to see which this might be-skinny, OK, fat. And then evaluate whether the training has been good enough to support the exercise you demand of your dog. Sometimes the food can be of blame but more times it is the training that is to blame.

Getting a little of topic but there is not much wrong with having a hungry dog or a dog asking for more. Basically dogs are driven(or rewarded by) by one of 4 things-food, touch, praise and sex. Each dog responds differently to these rewards-what best catches his/her attention. If he likes the food so much we can use that to our advantage in training as a reward. A meal can be a reward, for instance. That dog begging at the door is an open opportunity for training. Think on that the next time you want to improve that pooch of yours-use what they are asking for to create a great training environment.

So, ultimately feed to have solid stools and a good feel over the ribs and you have found the right amount to give Fido each day.