The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garmin/ TriTronics 550 Reviews?

Here is what has me concerned about the new design.

According to the specs on the Garmin website… for the Dog collar under unsuitable activities includes…

“Showering, swimming and water-related activities”.

The transmitter is less water resistant.

Thoughts?

JW

Quote Originally Posted by jwcbf View Post

According to the specs on the Garmin website… for the Dog collar under unsuitable activities includes…

Thoughts?

JW
    REALLY?? come on ....
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by jwcbf View Post

Thoughts?

JW
    I would not worry about it. The collar has a 1 ATM rating. That means it can withstand water pressure to a depth of 10 meters. That is static and movement would increase pressure but unless the dog swims under the water at depth, you should be fine. The no swimming is CYA margin in the standard. The IPX7 rating on the new transmitter means that you can drop it in the water if it is not too deep and it should be fine (especially since it is supposed to float). It is an improvement over the TT transmitter.

Can you just buy any standard 1" collar to work with this if you have problems or does it have to be Garmin brand?

Quote Originally Posted by Goosey View Post
    Can you just buy any standard 1" collar to work with this if you have problems or does it have to be Garmin brand?
    The new receivers have 4 loops that hold the receiver, the old ones had only 3. The 4 loops are much more stable and thus the 3/4" collar strap. A 1" strap will not fit.
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Perry View Post
    The new receivers have 4 loops that hold the receiver, the old ones had only 3. The 4 loops are much more stable and thus the 3/4" collar strap. A 1" strap will not fit.
    Sorry 3/4" is what I meant. For the people having trouble with theirs can you just buy a different 3/4" collar that has the d loop and put the receiver on the new collar?

Quote Originally Posted by Goosey View Post
    Sorry 3/4" is what I meant. For the people having trouble with theirs can you just buy a different 3/4" collar that has the d loop and put the receiver on the new collar?
    Yes you can .

my training partner just bought the 550, hes not happy with it. The straps for the collars are small and cheap. As far as the electronics he thinks they will be fine but he notices the quality difference from the garmin to the tt. I bought the tt even though im sure they will be phased out.

Dogtra straps for their pet line collars are 3/4 inch and might work on the Garmin 550. The Dogtra straps have D rings and the more convenient roller buckle. Come in a lotof different colors too. Whether they fit depends on the thinness (gage) needed to fit under the receiver's 4 loops.

Also if you can find "Sport Junior" straps at a dealer that has old stock, they had a D ring and the roller buckle. Easy to use.

The main difference between all e-collar straps and other dog collar straps is the e-collar straps have more holes for better adjustment of tightness.

The collar appears to be the same collar used on the bark limiter. I just don't see how one can be shaken off a dog. Furthermore now that TT is gone I believe that 3/4" is pretty much the standard across the board. The most expensive replacement is a hair under $10 and has a roller buckle, which is what I prefer. I have never had a problem with a 3/4" strap and if that is the biggest gripe then I'd say we're doing pretty good.

As far as the electronics, I doubt that Garmin just magically came up with all new electronics over that short a timeframe. After paying money for patents and everything else that wouldn't make much sense either. So, the electronics are most likely the same with a few modifications. Garmin is not some fly by night operation that just popped up overnight. They have been making electronics for a long time and most people are pretty happy with their products.