The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44

Thread: GDG. Why not a Belmont thread?

  1. #21
    Senior Member Maxs Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Livonia MI
    Posts
    597

    Default

    I don't think we will ever see another TC winner. I hope I'm wrong but today's racehorses are so specialized, and the TC involves very different horses. That Belmont Stake is a BIG long race. To be able to sprint the Preakness and go the distance in the Belmont takes a very special horse. The last horse I had a glimmer of hope for was Barbaro and we all know how that ended. That horse ran like no thoroughbred I had seen in years.

    Chrome is a wonderful animal. Just didn't have the race he needed on Sat.
    Ann

    UACH Casino Farm's Belle Air MXP2 MJP2 "Belle" (BLF 5/16/03)
    URO1 UJJ Casino Farm's Reddi Teddi RN "Teddi" (GRF 10/22/06)
    USJCH SHR The Captain's Licker's Quicker MX AXJ WC "Quinn" (BLF 10/28/09)
    HR UCD URO1 UJJ SmokinGold Hoot N Holler CD, SH, RA, GO, AXJ, MX, MXB, VC, WCX, Triathlon 2012 "Gabby" (GRF 9/28/10)
    Always in my Heart - Maxine 12/26/96-10/11/09 Queen of the World!

  2. #22
    Senior Member Waterdogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Idaho-Oregon
    Posts
    519

    Default

    "To achieve the greatness and immortality that being a Triple Crown Winner affords, you have to be great. All previous TC winners took on all comers. Can't change the rules just to make a loser happy. California Chrome is a very good horse. But not a great horse, at least by the TC measurement. I'll never forget seeing Secretariat run."

    Not a great horse are you kidding me any horse that wins one of those races is a great horse. I spent my youth taking care of many of those horses and I can tell you what those day start long before most of us have had are first coffee and a huge amount of blood sweat and tears have been shed for many folks just to have a shot at one of those big races.
    Faith consists in believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Mike Tome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brunswick, MD
    Posts
    1,795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waterdogs View Post
    "To achieve the greatness and immortality that being a Triple Crown Winner affords, you have to be great. All previous TC winners took on all comers. Can't change the rules just to make a loser happy. California Chrome is a very good horse. But not a great horse, at least by the TC measurement. I'll never forget seeing Secretariat run."

    Not a great horse are you kidding me any horse that wins one of those races is a great horse. I spent my youth taking care of many of those horses and I can tell you what those day start long before most of us have had are first coffee and a huge amount of blood sweat and tears have been shed for many folks just to have a shot at one of those big races.
    I too worked in a stable so I know of what you speak. And, in comparison to the previous TC winners, California Chrome is a very good horse, but because he fell short where the others won, he is not great. Silver is nice, but it ain't gold. Did you see how Secretariat won his races? Do you think that 30 years from now we will remember the name California Chrome? Nope. But we will remember Affirmed, Secretariat, Seattle Slew and all the other TC winners. That is what greatness and immortality is.
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

    MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

    Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com


  4. #24
    Senior Member Jennifer Henion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Far Northern California
    Posts
    1,294

    Default

    He can't be too bad of a horse if he came in fourth or fifth despite the injury coming out of the gate.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Tyler, TX
    Posts
    1,324

    Default

    The guy was on Good Morning America this morning appoligizing

  6. #26
    Senior Member JamesTannery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    The guy was on Good Morning America this morning appoligizing
    Bet nobody could see that coming. LOL
    HRCH UH Night Owl's Black Diamond MH "Homer"(500 Point Club)
    HRCH Iza-Gotsa-Lotsa-Go-Go MH "Streak"

  7. #27
    Senior Member Mike Tome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brunswick, MD
    Posts
    1,795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    He can't be too bad of a horse if he came in fourth or fifth despite the injury coming out of the gate.
    The injury may have been a factor, but here's what his jockey said "Espinoza, however, didn't cite that as the only reason Chrome finished in a dead heat for fourth place. The jockey felt his horse wasn't as energetic as he was in winning the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes. In response, Espinoza decided to stalk the pace-setters rather than race on the lead.“I feel like California Chrome was not the same as before (and) that’s why I make my decision,” he told reporters, per the DRF. “Before he breaks running and he take me right into the race. Today I feel like he was empty and not the same as before (and) that’s why I decided to be behind the lead.”
    The jockey knows better than any of us. The horse didn't have it.

    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

    MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

    Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com


  8. #28
    Senior Member Bridget Bodine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Winola, Pa
    Posts
    2,345

    Default

    he MAY not have had IT , because of getting stepped on out of the gate....we will never know....sorry for the horse that it was not a clean start
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

    Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

  9. #29
    Senior Member Swack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    424

    Default

    I hate to give Chrome's co-owner too much grief. He'd been on a hell-uv-a ride for the past month. All of the publicity and being in the spotlight for the first time. And then the disappointment of losing to horses that had been well rested while Chrome pursued the TC. Chrome placed first among the horses that raced all three legs of the TC.

    The guy spoke his mind in the heat of the moment. It was his honest thoughts and opinions. Sure, he could have been more diplomatic and also congratulated the winner, but I don't think he deserves to be slammed for voicing his opinion. It reminds me of the CEO of the software company that donated a thousand dollars to the Prop 8 campaign in CA and 6 years later was run out of his job because of his support for traditional marriage. You've got to be PC. Can't voice your opinion.

    Don't stick a microphone in a guy's face and ask for his thoughts right after what may have been the biggest disappointment in his life unless you're prepared to hear his thoughts and opinions! I thought what he said had some merit.

    Swack

    P.S. Secretariat only had to beat 4 horses to win the Belmont stakes.
    Jeff Swackhamer

  10. #30
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swack View Post
    I hate to give Chrome's co-owner too much grief. He'd been on a hell-uv-a ride for the past month. All of the publicity and being in the spotlight for the first time. And then the disappointment of losing to horses that had been well rested while Chrome pursued the TC. Chrome placed first among the horses that raced all three legs of the TC.

    The guy spoke his mind in the heat of the moment. It was his honest thoughts and opinions. Sure, he could have been more diplomatic and also congratulated the winner, but I don't think he deserves to be slammed for voicing his opinion. It reminds me of the CEO of the software company that donated a thousand dollars to the Prop 8 campaign in CA and 6 years later was run out of his job because of his support for traditional marriage. You've got to be PC. Can't voice your opinion.

    Don't stick a microphone in a guy's face and ask for his thoughts right after what may have been the biggest disappointment in his life unless you're prepared to hear his thoughts and opinions! I thought what he said had some merit.

    Swack

    P.S. Secretariat only had to beat 4 horses to win the Belmont stakes.
    But one of those horses was Sham who finished 2nd in both the Derby and the Preakness....Secretariat also ran the Belmont in 2.24 and won by 31 lengths

    CChrome is not even in that class or conversation...he would have been projected to finish some 20 lengths behind Secretariat if you compared their KY Derby times (1.59 2/5 vs 2.03 .66)
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •