The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: QAA title

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Why are you against it Raymond? I think it is kind of pointless, but I really don't see any downside to it.
    People will think it means more than it Actually does.
    Owner handler Q's will be booming business but not actually true FT's so the title will be watered down anyway.
    Follow the money, next clubs will have limited entries in the Q. What once could be completed in a day and an hour or two will take two full days.
    Derbies on Saturday start at the conclusion of the Q, they will soon start and end on Sunday.
    Just Win

for me being a young new comer and strictly training on my own, and working a full time job like most true ams this would be pretty cool for me. I kno for people who have played the game awhile and had title dogs prolly doesn't mean much, but for a blue collar guy who just loves training and being with his dog this is good. For me it means more then a mh title, I think the standards are too low for hunt tests and quals have a higher standard but give a young newcomers to play and learn. Im not huge on the qa2, I feel once you get a dog qaa you should be done, out of respect for the other ams busting their butt to get that, I wouldn't want to take a qaa title away from another am if I already had it. For an example, had a guy take a 2nd at a qual, and 2 weeks later ran an o/h qual at our club, he took first, a guy who buys pups and sells them as derby dogs took 2nd and a true am took 3rd, so the guy who won whos dog is already qaa took a 2nd away and a qaa from him. I don't like that at all
    Last edited by younggun86; 06-11-2014 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Owner handler Q's will be booming business but not actually true FT's so the title will be watered down anyway.
    Follow the money, next clubs will have limited entries in the Q. What once could be completed in a day and an hour or two will take two full days.
    Derbies on Saturday start at the conclusion of the Q, they will soon start and end on Sunday.
    Are owner Handler Q's a bad thing?? I don't think so, I certainly have never run or judged one that was "watered" down, they better not be, if you finish 4 dogs then thats how it is.. The derby should be run on friday, very few derby dogs are trained by the owner, and in retrospect very few derby dogs are run by there owners it's just how it is. I feel the Q is the only stake a true AM has a chance at competing in,( unless you have the time and res.) the dog may be a 4 year old but for alot of people thats how long it takes doing there own work after work and little legue baseball games.. I judged a Friday Q last weekend and we had waits between every series, not the pro's fault not the owners fault just how it is, the Open had a honor and it balled everthing up, we couldn't have had an honnor in the Q if wanted to 1st. or 4th. series even if we had wanted to. I'm all for a friday derby and a O/H Q on Saterday for most trials.. I know I had alot of support last weekend... I'll say we had a solid Q and 1st. and 2nd. were both AM's......

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    I don't think the senior HT title diminished the MH title or the quest for the MH title. Derby has its own kind of title with the yearly list. QAA has no such recognition, yet it completely different level than Derby.

No way a QAA title is a threat to field trials or the FC/AFC titles. Just read an article in Retriever Journal showing stats for participation in field trials. They are down. They are trying to find ways to attract new blood and keep the sport alive. Giving people some ladder rungs along the way to the top, is a good idea, in my opinion.

Even real life has steps and recognition along the way to keep people moving toward the ultimate goal. Look at the military, politics and business. They all have titles along the way to the top. If some people are happy just being Manager, instead of Owner or Major instead of General, so be it. It's life. That fact will not stop people from valuing the top titles more than the middle titles. And it won't stop people from aspiring to the top levels. If anything, it will probably feed their need to go to the next level.

I am going to be running my own dog in derbies, I wish they weren't on Friday its going to make it tuff but I understand why its like that. Im looking at starting in july wit derby were close but need some stuff in water before I feel we can win one. everyone has got to start some where and the derby and qual are great for that.

Can someone explain the QAA being made a "title" to me? I know what an owner/handler qual is, but what is different now that it has been decided to add a QAA title?

People have been displaying the QAA or the *** after the names of their dogs for a long time already. It's an accomplishment and a lot of hard work and/or a lot of money to accomplish. Myself as a amateur with a dog that just won a Qualifying, it would be nice to display our accomplishments. Having a dog that can win or take second on a given weekend is tough work. Doing it with a dog that doesn't get campaigned half the weekends of the year and only runs a few trials in the summer, you've now made the possibility even more difficult. Having a dog that doesn't go south in the winter but stays up north and picks up thousands of birds and still can win a trial, I may be biased, but that's what it's all about for me.
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH (Shooter)

If they are going to do it I hope it takes more than just a 1st or a 2nd to obtain the title. And I don't think a O/H in conjunction with a HT should count towards the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaneder1 View Post
    Can someone explain the QAA being made a "title" to me? I know what an owner/handler qual is, but what is different now that it has been decided to add a QAA title?
    I don't know how AKC is going to do it, but I think the Canadian way makes sense. Just going from memory I think it works the same way getting an FC by running Opens would be down here. I believe you need a Qual win and five more Qual points to obtain the title. I don't know what kind of credit you would get for an all age placement. As far as the "title" part, it is just that an official AKC title that would appear on your pedigree. I also think there is some value in that as some who breed put a lot of stock on an MH after a dog's name, up till now QAA would not show up anywhere, though some would put an unofficial *** after their dogs name.

Quote Originally Posted by rboudet View Post
    If they are going to do it I hope it takes more than just a 1st or a 2nd to obtain the title. And I don't think a O/H in conjunction with a HT should count towards the title.
    But it will Bobby and thus you will water down the accomplishment of the New Title. If the new title takes two firsts or a combination of a first and a second to complete my mind may be changed but I doubt that will be the case. Next, there will be titles with an * for those dogs who Only needed a win for FC or AFC.
    FT's aren't supposed to give participation ribbons, the Q title IMO is a step in this direction.
    Just Win