The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: QAA title

As an amateur who 100% trained my own dog and recently won 2 Qualifyings on back to back weekends, I shall display the title proudly!
    Cindy Galster

Home schooled and greatly loved!

OTCH Candi-Dan's Raven UDX OM3 RE SH (Raven)
    White Oaks Running The Numbers UD MH QA2 (Digit)
    Aire-E-Gator UD (Gator) Airedale

Hmm the Quals will be flooded; we'll have to put limits on them, then will have to deal with pros saving spaces in the event... On the other hand winning a 120 dog Qual, against dogs that are finished retrievers...might put a bit more weight on a QAA win
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 06-12-2014 at 02:48 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    So you're telling me that a dog with 2 second place finishes gets the same title as a dog with 2 wins...somehow getting a FT "Title" without a WIN speaks volumes about the title...
    I like the Canadian way better, a Qualifying win and five more Qualifying points using the Derby point system. I think the "title" would mean more if it required a win and other placements to show the win wasn't a fluke. That said I think most of us would agree that getting that QAA status is an accomplishment, just a step on the road to FC-AFC for many on this forum, but it may be the much sought after goal and ceiling for many others. And though it is relatively insignificant compared to an FC-AFC, it is still hard to achieve and shows a lot about the dog that does achieve it. I don't see any harm in formalizing that achievement and really don't see it watering down the much higher level FC titles.

Quote Originally Posted by CindyGal View Post
    As an amateur who 100% trained my own dog and recently won 2 Qualifyings on back to back weekends, I shall display the title proudly!
    You should be; winning a 30 & 25 dog Q and a 4th & 3rd with a 3 y/o is pretty stout. Don't you think it's time to move to the am's and open's??

Clearly your dog can play with the competition and win so what more does the Q2 title do for you?
    Maybe our resident Historian "Bon" can research the number of Q entries that have or could have qualified for this illustrious title in 2014.
    The true Am's might just want to move on up to the next level since I believe the Q will get much more difficult when entries explode.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Old school fuddy duddys not wanting the newbee to enjoy attaining a goal with their dog. What does it hurt you that have several dogs on an A list pros truck ?

It appears there will be entries of older more experienced dogs that have achieved a win in the qual in an attempt to put an official title on their dog. Make for tougher tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    You should be; winning a 30 & 25 dog Q and a 4th & 3rd with a 3 y/o is pretty stout. Don't you think it's time to move to the am's and open's??

Clearly your dog can play with the competition and win so what more does the Q2 title do for you?
    Maybe our resident Historian "Bon" can research the number of Q entries that have or could have qualified for this illustrious title in 2014.
    The true Am's might just want to move on up to the next level since I believe the Q will get much more difficult when entries explode.
    Raymond I've been playing FT since around 1995, I have always moved up to the Open and Am as soon as my dogs are QAA, usually around age three. All four of my FT dogs were QAA, two at 26-29 months, one not until he was five and my other got a win, two seconds, three thirds and a fourth all while he was three. I do have Open wins, and many placements over the years as well a more green ribbons than I care to count, but no FC or AFC yet, so the Q2 title might mean more to me than to you.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Raymond I've been playing FT since around 1995, I have always moved up to the Open and Am as soon as my dogs are QAA, usually around age three. All four of my FT dogs were QAA, two at 26-29 months, one not until he was five and my other got a win, two seconds, three thirds and a fourth all while he was three. I do have Open wins, and many placements over the years as well a more green ribbons than I care to count, but no FC or AFC yet, so the Q2 title might mean more to me than to you.
    Well said!

I am not worthy of the Historian tag when compared to the likes of Dr A, Junebe, Lanse, and WD Connor,Glenda Brown..I wouldnt even last one round of retriever trivial pursuit with any of them..75% of what I think I may know when it comes to history is because I have them to "google" and do a quick fact check..Connor and Unbehaun may be the best, its kinda scary the info and data they have both in print and between their ears..I am but "Bon san" to their Mr Miyagi like existence..

I do happen to know that Lanse's dog Lee (World Famous Mr Friendly ) the one eyed -no tail dog is eligible for the "title" after winning two qualifying stakes, but hell will have to freeze over, and the Beatles will have to have a reunion before Lanse sends the AKC a check for that title..

as Lanse has told me repeatedly since I have known him

"....I run trials to win and hopefully qualify for Nationals...the titles come with the wins "
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I think for alot of people this will mean alot, and I certainly can't see how it is going to effect the people that play at the top of the game, you have any dogs in the fight?