The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: QAA title

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    O/H Q is and was made to allow for smaller fields with primarily am owners who train their own dogs. It was a great concept but the competition was not what an actual FT Q would have been. I am sure some will argue that its he same but thats just a pipe dream. If you have a new title, compete against everyone or its watered down.
    You failed to answer the directly asked question and chose to make a different statement. Dan's question was should the points from an O/H Am still count toward the AFC?

I take it from your response that the answer is obviously no since they don't allow everyone to play.
    Richard Gravely

I'd like to hear specific examples of a O/H Q that people have personally witnessed that was lacking in either difficulty in the tests, or caliber of the dogs and/or handlers. Not disagreeing, I would just like to hear personal experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Kajun Kamakazi View Post
    I'd like to hear specific examples of a O/H Q that people have personally witnessed that was lacking in either difficulty in the tests, or caliber of the dogs and/or handlers. Not disagreeing, I would just like to hear personal experiences.
    I've run plenty of regular Quals a d a few O/H Q's, even some in conjunction with HT's. Haven't noticed much of a difference in difficulty of the set-ups. The overall field of dogs may not be as strong at many O/H events, but the top 4 or 5 dogs at the end of the day could hold their own at most any Qualifying event. So the assertion that O/H events are somehow not as valuable doesn't hold water from what I've seen.

Most of them I have seen have a greater percentage of older dogs than a regular Q would, but the tests were comparable and the dogs who placed did good work. I don't know why people care so much about how the title is earned. It is still an accomplishment. Anyone who really cares can look up the dog's record on EE or AKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Splash_em View Post
    You failed to answer the directly asked question and chose to make a different statement. Dan's question was should the points from an O/H Am still count toward the AFC?

I take it from your response that the answer is obviously no since they don't allow everyone to play.
    After looking at his record on EE, I'm not sure he's qualified to answer that, Richard.

O/H Q is and was made to allow for smaller fields with primarily am owners who train their own dogs. It was a great concept but the competition was not what an actual FT Q would have been. I am sure some will argue that its he same but thats just a pipe dream. If you have a new title, compete against everyone or its watered down.
    We won an O/H Qual one time. The 3rd and 4th place dogs at that event are both running in the National Am this week. Some kind of watered down...
    Allen Dillard

HRCH Play It Again, Sam MH *** "Sam"
    Scout's High Calibre "Colt"
    Slippin' Up the Holler "Dooley"
    Lucky Number Seven VII "Layla"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wegner View Post
    I've run plenty of regular Quals a d a few O/H Q's, even some in conjunction with HT's. Haven't noticed much of a difference in difficulty of the set-ups. The overall field of dogs may not be as strong at many O/H events, but the top 4 or 5 dogs at the end of the day could hold their own at most any Qualifying event. So the assertion that O/H events are somehow not as valuable doesn't hold water from what I've seen.
    I HAVE TO AGREE WITH DAN! I have run Q, AM and Open. At every stake you will find dogs that are not ready on that day. Most of the Qual that I have run there were always good dogs at the last series. O/H Qs almost always have several good dogs that could run at a major stake.
    Warren price
    w. price

Quote Originally Posted by Splash_em View Post

D/Q's are minor stakes, just a small difference between the Am & Open. So you are saying that a 15 dog O/H HT Q is the same as a 35 dog regular Q? Having said that, I give more credit to a jam in the open than a first in any Q. Does the jam get a Q2***?
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

D/Q's are minor stakes, just a small difference between the Am & Open. So you are saying that a 15 dog O/H HT Q is the same as a 35 dog regular Q? Having said that, I give more credit to a jam in the open than a first in any Q. Does the jam get a Q2***?
    An O/H is an O/H, whether it's a minor or major stake. Same concept. It limits competition to those who actually own the dog. As for your numbers, I think you have them backwards. Most O/, Quals have significantly larger entry numbers than regular Quals. I'm pretty sure the way the new title reads, that any two achievements that would have qualified a dog all-age also count for the new QA2 title, so 2 A A JAM'S would certainly qualify. You can argue the value of how a dog gets there all you want, but all that matters is they do it. It's not a championship title, but will certainly help to identify and give credit to dogs that have achieved this level of success. It may not mean much to some, but for others it may be a crowning achievement.

Why some folks feel the need to piss in others Cheerios, I will never understand. Guess it makes them feel important. Personally, I prefer to congratulate and encourage them and continue on toward my own goals.

Are you going to answer the question or continue to reply around it and redirect the conversation?

When was the last time you personally ran an O/H Q? That's also a very direct question that I can't seem to find the answer to.
    Richard Gravely