The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok, help - how do i ?

Default Ok, help - how do i ?

Stop my little girl from digging up my back yard. I have tried everything I can think of and she just keeps sneeking around me to do it again. AAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!

Puppies!!!

Pour concrete! How old is she? Other than pouring a slab two tips that sometimes work are to put her poop in the hole ( if the same spot every time ) or to cut her nails to the quick so that its uncomfortable to dig.

18 weeks. Her back yard kennel is concrete but I feel sorry for her when she is in there so try to let her roam the back yard during the day. Yes it is the same place, will try the poop idea. I do her nails with a dremel so to the quick wouldn't be hard either. Thanks for those as it is something I hadn't tried yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mtncntrykid View Post
    18 weeks. Her back yard kennel is concrete but I feel sorry for her when she is in there so try to let her roam the back yard during the day. Yes it is the same place, will try the poop idea. I do her nails with a dremel so to the quick wouldn't be hard either. Thanks for those as it is something I hadn't tried yet.
    Giving human emotions to an animal will not bode well for your training. Dogs need structure, roaming is a pack mentality. Make up your mind
    Just Win

The only way is to Keep her on a long line when you are out teaching her to poop in an area. Every time she digs, stern NO other wise if you don't she will continue to dig! JMHO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

The idea of an 18 week old roaming the yard unsupervised, even with a good fence in place is very frightening to me. She should be in the kennel if you're not 100% engaged.
    Darrin Greene

DarrinGreene beat me to it. She shouldn't be loose in the yard unsupervised at that age. Puppies get into everything, including trouble, even when you're right there watching. Leave her in the kennel when you are gone during the day, much safer. When you do get home, you need to commit to spending some time with her though, so she can get in her exercise and training. Think of the people whose dogs have to spend 8 hours in a crate: your dog has it made with a nice outdoor kennel to be in during the day.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Giving human emotions to an animal will not bode well for your training. Dogs need structure, roaming is a pack mentality. Make up your mind
    Puppies also need down time and play time

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    The idea of an 18 week old roaming the yard unsupervised, even with a good fence in place is very frightening to me. She should be in the kennel if you're not 100% engaged.
    What pray tell "frightens" you?

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    What pray tell "frightens" you?
    I would loan you my 8 month old, the 4 wheeled terrorist for a day or two or maybe not b/c I am not certain what he would eat for the first thing or would get into. And it is not as if he isn't worked every day. He has more energy and ideas which leads to the wrong path even with the long lead on. But I am there to assist him to make good decisions early on! Always better to have an element of control over the poor hard done pup! There is a time and place to allow them free run. IMHO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray