The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ok, help - how do i ?

Amen to this. Too much can happen too quickly to really do it any other way IMHO. You sort of have to protect them from themselves a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by KwickLabs View Post
    I have this rule that I strive to followed religiously. My pups/dogs are always supervised.....in the living room, in a crate, when training or hunting and even when airing. Supervised means I can see them or they are in a crate. But that's just me.

The only time they are out of sight is when I "loose them on a blind".
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Why is she digging; is it to find a cool spot to lay? Are their critters under the ground? Is she just bored? A tired puppy is a happy puppy. We're breeding them with more intelligence and they get bored when they are alone, when they're bored they invent things to do. Then if you work to tire them they gain endurance, and you'll poop out way before they will. I'd be letting her out, to hike, to road, or bike, etc. and tiring her out before I let her loose alone in the backyard. Still I've had a dog loose in a backyard of every house I ever lived in since before I was born, yes I've had to learn to put away the hose, and make sure nothing is within puppy reach, put hot wires around the garden, and had to deal with a bit of digging. It takes a bit to remember how to puppy proof when you've been without puppies for a bit. I've always found Activity is usually the best cure. I had one terror who'd I'd have to bike with in the morning and run again in the evening, even when training almost every day; in order to keep both of us happy. I was in pretty good shape for about the 2yrs it took for him to settle down a bit . I've also found it's usually better with another dog to play with and supervise. Puppies are sometimes a pain to deal with in a nice backyard, but I've always thought a backyard is where a dog is supposed to be, why else do you have one? .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 06-09-2014 at 12:19 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Wait- so you can cc ff and teach hundred yard land and water doubles and basic handling to an 18 week old but can't stop her from digging? While you are there and she's in sight of the house in the backyard?

When you have told her no and corrected with the collar what did she do?

I've never had a digger, but I've always corrected for it and usually I am providing an activity while pups or dogs are out, ie training, or each other, or just me while I'm grilling.
    Last edited by jhnnythndr; 06-09-2014 at 12:12 PM.

Think of the strong shoulder muscles she is building.

Yea if she is 18 weeks and through ob, FF, CC and doing double water marks. Who cares if she digs. You have a puppy prodigy. Better call mensa!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Why is she digging; is it to find a cool spot to lay? Are their critters under the ground? Is she just bored? A tired puppy is a happy puppy. We're breeding them with more intelligence and they get bored when they are alone, when they're bored they invent things to do. Then if you work to tire them they gain endurance, and you'll poop out way before they will. I'd be letting her out, to hike, to road, or bike, etc. and tiring her out before I let her loose alone in the backyard. Still I've had a dog loose in a backyard of every house I ever lived in since before I was born, yes I've had to learn to put away the hose, and make sure nothing is within puppy reach, put hot wires around the garden, and had to deal with a bit of digging. It takes a bit to remember how to puppy proof when you've been without puppies for a bit. I've always found Activity is usually the best cure. I had one terror who'd I'd have to bike with in the morning and run again in the evening, even when training almost every day; in order to keep both of us happy. I was in pretty good shape for about the 2yrs it took for him to settle down a bit . I've also found it's usually better with another dog to play with and supervise. Puppies are sometimes a pain to deal with in a nice backyard, but I've always thought a backyard is where a dog is supposed to be, why else do you have one? .

I completely agree with you on this and yes I think she is just bored. We go for hikes every day as well as to the lake swimming every day. I don't know if at my age I can give her a whole lot more. I'm only good for a couple miles a day

jhnnythndr----As far as teaching her to not dig holes..... I have never had to do that before, thus the reason for this thread. As far as correcting with the collar...I have to catch her at it and she is a sneaky little winch.

Puppy prodigy? She absolutely is in my eyes, anyone else's eyes...who cares? Heck, I completely expect her to explode on her first hunt test .... or she might ace it. (she will be under 6 mo old) It is that I have seen her growth and passion so as a good master I have always felt it to be my responsibility to give her every opportunity to achieve the levels she herself wants to go. I am going to do that. Why hold her back?????????

Who cares if she digs? Not really so much but if there was an easy way to stop it I am all ears.

A word from the school of been there, done that.

If she is that excited in training with just you that she stands up when you say mark, I would be sure I had a good grip on her at the hunt test, because I would bet a lot of money that she ain't sitting back down at the test. And I mean get a good grip from the truck on down. My dog would get a "little excited" in the yard, and his first couple JH tests I thought he was going to water ski me to the line (and I'm a good sized fellow) and tear down the holding blind if he didn't just jump over it. And this was an older dog. I had never seen anything like what he was like at that first hunt test.

Do what you want to, but you can inadvertently train in a lot of stuff by running HTs too early that you will spend a lot of time and effort correcting later, and it will likely be harder on the dog than it has to be. It has been on us. From what I have seen, I would not run the JH test until my dog was de-cheated. No, they don't penalize you for cheating in JH, but why let the dog get in the habit of doing it in the first place? And that's just one example.

My advice would be to slow down and enjoy the ride, and you may do with that advice what you wish, because it's probably worth exactly what you paid for it. If you really want to let this dog go as far as she can go, slow down and let her mature a bit before you throw her into the deep end.

Good luck with your dog.

Quote Originally Posted by mtncntrykid View Post
    The only problem she has ever given me in training is that she gets so excited at the line when I say mark that she wants to stand up from the sit position. She doesn't break and sits right back down so I can send her so all is good.
    Last edited by RookieTrainer; 06-09-2014 at 04:04 PM.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Her lines aren't strait and she will cheat water entries so I hear what your saying. I probably would be smart to heed your advise, save the 150.00 for the two days hunt tests and clean up things, but the selfish side of me would like to see her accomplish her JH certification before she is 1 year old all though I am running out of opportunities as tests around here are winding down. Maybe I should just work on MH status next spring

Don't you have 6 weeks to clean things up between now and when she's eligible to run jr?

I hear you about sneaky... Since you have some time on your hands it might be worth it just to watch her and catch her and train her about it like any other behavior you would modify to suit you. I think this will save time and frustration over "remedies"

"Don't you have 6 weeks to clean things up between now and when she's eligible to run jr? "

Whoa............ Is there a law that says they have to be 6 months to compete in JH test???? Did I miss that?