The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thunder 500 Launcher

Default Thunder 500 Launcher

Just purchased a used Thunder 500. It only shoots bumpers 12-13 yards. Is this standard? I have pushed the button for 3 seconds then let it set for 3-5 seconds. I purchased a new bottle of MAPP gas. I adjusted gas valve several times. What am I doing wrong or not doing? Or am I expecting to much?

Perhaps that's why it was for sale? Have you talked with your seller (not that he/she will be forthright). I'd give the manufacturer a call. I had a question on my new purchase and he was very responsive.

With TT electronics you don't hold the button down... just push it. Wait a few seconds and then push it again. I don't know if holding the button down might be causing some issue.....

Good luck, I love my Thunder 500
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tome View Post
    Perhaps that's why it was for sale? Have you talked with your seller (not that he/she will be forthright). I'd give the manufacturer a call. I had a question on my new purchase and he was very responsive.

With TT electronics you don't hold the button down... just push it. Wait a few seconds and then push it again. I don't know if holding the button down might be causing some issue.....

Good luck, I love my Thunder 500
    MIke, how far would you estimate yours throws a bumper? I was thinking that this unit referenced may be working properly.

My training partner, who has a neice to Deuce and Bus, just bought a new Thunder 500. I love it. One thing I've found is that it does NOT throw like abumper boy. It has a nice throaty "whomp" when it goes off that the dogs love. It also seems to have a more birdboy-like lob of a throw that the dogs pick up easily.

The 500 Thunders don't seem to throw as far as the bumperboy, but I figured that was by design.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

I can get 20-25 yds. Dial wide open and 5 seconds of juice. At least that's what I'm thinking.... now I'll have to go out and measure it later today!!!
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

Something must be wrong. With mine, three seconds between presses sends it a long way, given wind, etc. Sometimes too long.

I have used the predecessor to the thunder (thunderbird) and have found a 5 MISSISSIPPI count in Southern Drawl usually gets a 20-25 yard throw.
    The Max 5000's I have can be fickle, some launch farther with a little offset lt/rt between unit hole and carosel, some have to be lined up dead center.
    Just Win

Mine go a lonnnnng ways, perhaps further than my wingers. 'course, it all depends on the wind and the angle of the launch.

Like Mike says, don't hold the button down. One press and the unit rotates to the next bumper and starts the gas flow. The next press fires the bumper.

I had some trouble with mine once (user error) caused by me waiting too long to launch the bumper after I started the gas flow. Too much gas=too little oxygen to fire the launch.
    Renee P

Your distance thrown equals the amount of delay between button pushes. Mine is new and after we broke it in it will throw at least 30 yards with the wind. I love it!! Wish I had the 1000
    "Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is"

We have found the new models don't seem to throw as far as the older units. It is my understanding this was by design for the new units. With that being said 20 yards is what we are getting out of the new machine.

I'm sure Doug Wilson @ Thunder Equipment can talk you thru most issues. Give him a call