The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thunder 500 Launcher

Quote Originally Posted by BrettG View Post
    My advice sell it and buy some wingers.
    Well, we all know what free advice is worth.
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tome View Post
    Well, we all know what free advice is worth.
    Think about it, price of thunder vs price of wingers then compare length of service and it's a no brainier, but some people have more money than I do to waste on equipment that breaks down.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettG View Post
    Think about it, price of thunder vs price of wingers then compare length of service and it's a no brainier, but some people have more money than I do to waste on equipment that breaks down.
    Brett, your way off target with this train of thought. It would take a min of three wingers + electronics at each station to replicate one launcher at each station. At $500 per winger you'll have over $5,000 invested in equipment and electronics. These boxes are extremely cost effective when training one or multiple dogs. I can teach a bunch of dogs in the time it takes to reload those wingers. I am still using my original max 5000 that are 12 years old. The thunders are a much simpler design and few moving parts. My educated guess would have them in service for 15 years min with very little service. I would guess your a hunt tester and don't see the value in having multiple throws at a push of a button but this former hunt tester has for over a 100 dogs and counting.
    I have not been compensated by Thunder Equipment for my unsolicited testimonial.
    Last edited by Raymond Little; 06-09-2014 at 10:15 PM.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Brett, your way off target with this train of thought. It would take a min of three wingers + electronics at each station to replicate one launcher at each station. At $500 per winger you'll have over $5,000 invested in equipment and electronics. These boxes are extremely cost effective when training one or multiple dogs. I can teach a bunch of dogs in the time it takes to reload those wingers. I am still using my original max 5000 that are 12 years old. The thunders are a much simpler design and few moving parts. My educated guess would have them in service for 15 years min with very little service. I would guess your a hunt tester and don't see the value in having multiple throws at a push of a button but this former hunt tester has for over a 100 dogs and counting.
    I have not been compensated by Thunder Equipment for my unsolicited testimonial.

I agree, to a point. They are cost effective and durable. Mine have been very reliable for close to 3 years. They are very useful under certain circumstances. However they also cannot replicate the throw of a winger with a real bird live or dead. I am working with 14 dogs everyday and 90% of the time I choose to reload wingers. I just feel it is better for the dogs.

Everyone can make their own personal choices on equipment to buy and how to train. I do what works for me. The Thunder 500 has been very useful for me personally and for our training group. If you don't want to use it, don't... but you don't have to slam someone's livelihood with unfounded statements.
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tome View Post
    Everyone can make their own personal choices on equipment to buy and how to train. I do what works for me. The Thunder 500 has been very useful for me personally and for our training group. If you don't want to use it, don't... but you don't have to slam someone's livelihood with unfounded statements.
    Exactly...

To each his own and leave it at that.

My experience with the new Thunders is that they are excellent. Back when I was running our
    FC AFC Northwind Gale Force
    (Co owned with my training partner and longtime friend), we had two Max 5000s that I used daily along with one of the Maxwell retiring men...

With streamers on the bumpers, the dogs reacted as if I were shooting birds. During that time I was traveling a lot, therefore training alone. Nice to be able to set up two quality marks with a retired bird... Walk out and throw the third. Run her and the young dog on it without having to reload anything.

Sure liked that maxwell retiring man... Finally burned it out. Come on Doug, invent something like that... or better
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Exactly...

To each his own and leave it at that.

My experience with the new Thunders is that they are excellent. Back when I was running our
    FC AFC Northwind Gale Force
    (Co owned with my training partner and longtime friend), we had two Max 5000s that I used daily along with one of the Maxwell retiring men...

With streamers on the bumpers, the dogs reacted as if I were shooting birds. During that time I was traveling a lot, therefore training alone. Nice to be able to set up two quality marks with a retired bird... Walk out and throw the third. Run her and the young dog on it without having to reload anything.

Sure liked that maxwell retiring man... Finally burned it out. Come on Doug, invent something like that... or better

Heaven forbid someone has a different opinion and expresses it. Seems that now days here on RTF that if someone has a different opinion they are just bashing someone else.
    I have been on RTF almost since it's conception, before Chris was the man in charge. I initially came on here green as can be and started calling people that used the collar cheaters. Some jumped on me but others such as good ol Unca Jerry were kind enough to point out the error of my ways in a kind and gentle manner. I have the greatest respect and admiration for Chris and his diplomatic abilities to deal with people on this site. (I may even hear from him on this one). I have learned a great deal from RTF in the past but now in the days of Face book and Twitter it just seems to be more of a social media type thing. I still look in on RTF daily but sometimes wonder why.
    As for the Thunders they are a fine tool but like everything they have their place I don't care what anybody says. Same goes for wingers, they are a poor substitute for a real (good) bird boy, but then again they are better than a poor bird boy.

My Thunder 200's throw the bumpers about 40 yards - I have TriTronics after the initial button push to cock it I usually wait 6 - 8 secs before launching - For anyones info if you ever have problems with a round not firing and you have plenty of gas flow you may need a new ingnitor - One of mine was hit and miss on firing and I talked with Thunder and they said it needed cleaning, I blew everthing out, still not working - Instead of sending it back I took it apart and replaced the inginitor which is a Bernzomatic TS 8000 you can get from Lowes for $50 - It took about an hour and it is now working great - Give me a call if you need any help with this - Will save you shipping and repair cost - $100 plus

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    I agree, to a point. They are cost effective and durable. Mine have been very reliable for close to 3 years. They are very useful under certain circumstances. However they also cannot replicate the throw of a winger with a real bird live or dead. I am working with 14 dogs everyday and 90% of the time I choose to reload wingers. I just feel it is better for the dogs.
    They are closer to a winger with a bird than a winger with a bird is to a bird boy.

I use both multiple wingers and the Thunder 500. They both have their pluses and minuses but both are fine at FT distances with a good stick man.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    Heaven forbid someone has a different opinion and expresses it. Seems that now days here on RTF that if someone has a different opinion they are just bashing someone else.
    I have been on RTF almost since it's conception, before Chris was the man in charge. I initially came on here green as can be and started calling people that used the collar cheaters. Some jumped on me but others such as good ol Unca Jerry were kind enough to point out the error of my ways in a kind and gentle manner. I have the greatest respect and admiration for Chris and his diplomatic abilities to deal with people on this site. (I may even hear from him on this one). I have learned a great deal from RTF in the past but now in the days of Face book and Twitter it just seems to be more of a social media type thing. I still look in on RTF daily but sometimes wonder why.
    As for the Thunders they are a fine tool but like everything they have their place I don't care what anybody says. Same goes for wingers, they are a poor substitute for a real (good) bird boy, but then again they are better than a poor bird boy.
    I wonder how much our high altitude (and low humidity) affects the visibility of the bumper. Less air resistance means more speed?

I know my dog does not mark the bumpers from the 500 at FT distances very well, they shoot so fast they are hard to pick out in the sky line.

4500 feet, 20% humidity regards...
    Last edited by mitty; 06-10-2014 at 01:16 PM.
    Renee P