The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use of Primer Poppers in Hunting Tests

Default Use of Primer Poppers in Hunting Tests

I understand there are issues as to why they are used such as cost and proximity to the line. However, as someone who has been around dogs a lot when either live rounds or regular poppers have been used, the dogs' steadiness is definitely tested much more with fully loaded poppers. I've seen way too many dogs that were steady with primer shots start creeping, get up and start walking or flat out break with full poppers. My point is that in a real hunting situation, how many of those dogs would break? In field trials, even with some of the distances, the full poppers still create a lot more interest for the dogs than primer poppers at a much closer distance. Given that, does anyone know why they're even allowed in hunting tests since steadiness is supposed to be tested?
    "When a good trainer stops learning about dogs, he stops being a good trainer." the late Gene Hill

"If you want to find out what kind of trainer you are, leave your transmitter in the truck." the late Rex Carr

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../dog_formulas/

"Real hunting situation", my dog still sits. I use primers at the line when training for HRC. Comes down to basic OB, IMHO. Sit means sit no matter the noise created.
    "Perfection is the enemy of good enough" Vince Stone
    GRHRCH UH Slammers Bullet From Nowhere MH**

Huh?

(Too many MONSTER BLASTS regards,)

One of the main reasons is HEARING, both the handlers and the dogs. Yes, I know, I've just given two reasons. As a handler and as a judge I have lost a good bit of hearing and I know of a bunch of dogs that have hearing loss also. I can no longer hear the phone ring except when I'm right next to it and I know my friends get tired of me saying "would you repeat that please". Cleo had even tried to get me to go to a hearing aid company to get fitted for a ear piece. That is reason enough for me! Bill
    'Show up for work, do the best job you can and treat others the way you would like to be treated'

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Stroyan View Post
    Huh?

(Too many MONSTER BLASTS regards,)
    I agree Keith.

Poppers at the line ruined many dogs hearing as well.
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Walker View Post
    I understand there are issues as to why they are used such as cost and proximity to the line. However, as someone who has been around dogs a lot when either live rounds or regular poppers have been used, the dogs' steadiness is definitely tested much more with fully loaded poppers. I've seen way too many dogs that were steady with primer shots start creeping, get up and start walking or flat out break with full poppers. My point is that in a real hunting situation, how many of those dogs would break? In field trials, even with some of the distances, the full poppers still create a lot more interest for the dogs than primer poppers at a much closer distance. Given that, does anyone know why they're even allowed in hunting tests since steadiness is supposed to be tested?

You'll get more bites if you slow the engine another couple hundred RPM's.......Just sayin'-Paul
    Last edited by paul young; 06-10-2014 at 07:01 PM.
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Also, safety. You can seriously injure someone with a popper load. With the honor shooting, safety definitely comes into play.
    Carol

CH HRCH Rippling Waters Lagundo Sula MH - Sula
    GRHRCH Rippling Waters Talladega MH 500 Point Club - Tally
    HRCH Rippling Waters Capt. Marvel - Shazam
    HRCH UH Ambertrail's Bring The House MH 1,000 Point Club - Blitz
    GRHRCH UH Rippling Waters Daytona MH 500 Point Club - Day
    HRCH Rippling Waters Fire In The Hole MH - Peytah

Stick to what we have now in HRC. Just fine and easy on my ears! Your dog should sit no matter what situation your in!IMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

There was a huge brewhaha when primers vs poppers was voted on by each club 10 or so years ago. Those on the popper side had mostly never judged or had to clean their clothes after a day of poppers going off infront of them. The packing in each popper went everywhere including your eyes. Sit through 2+ cases of them for two series and try to carry a normal conversation that same night. HRC folks always want to repeat a normal day afield but it isn't possible to test and hunt at the same time. This Fact will always hold the organization back when it comes to testing dogs ability to meet the standard.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

I remember years ago dogs in the game were coming up deaf at 6 years old. I think our dogs derserve better.