The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Use of Primer Poppers in Hunting Tests

Let me clarify. I totally understand about not using them at the line. That's just common sense. The judges, gallery, and pro's running multiple dogs would be acting like they'd just been to the farewell concert of The Who if full poppers were used at the line. I'm only talking about in the field with guns clamped into stands pointing in a safe direction. Sit only means sit if dogs have been exposed to the distractions they're going to encounter like louder gunfire. I've seen staked out dogs at training sessions barely blink with primers but I've seen those same dogs darn near try to yank the stakes out of the ground when full popper loads went off from 50-350 yards away.
    "When a good trainer stops learning about dogs, he stops being a good trainer." the late Gene Hill

"If you want to find out what kind of trainer you are, leave your transmitter in the truck." the late Rex Carr

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../dog_formulas/

Popper are still the most used noise maker for akc ht/FT. I prefer poppers over the new thunder cannons but that's just my opinion. Primers wouldn't register at FT distances anyway.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Since live loads are used for the flyer there is plenty of noise along with excitement of a live flyer to entice the breaker. The primer is loud enough to get pup's attention for any HT mark. I'd like to see all clubs go w/ the primer loads. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post
    Since live loads are used for the flyer there is plenty of noise along with excitement of a live flyer to entice the breaker. The primer is loud enough to get pup's attention for any HT mark. I'd like to see all clubs go w/ the primer loads. IMO.
    Heck, the sound of the wingers going off is enough to get the attention of dogs at HT distances.

Primer loads don't bother me--I don't think it makes quite as much difference in the end. Just don't like those black powder poppers with all the noise fire and smoke.

I for one judge HRC events and would not like to sit there all day and take gun blast all day. If you have an honor you may hear as many as 5 blast for every dog that comes to the line in finish. Another issue is Liability for HRC and muzzle blast that could seriously hurt someone "not just ears". Just one bad gun handling issue in a hunt is enough to say no to live rounds "poppers". Also you may have to space hunts farther apart to not disturb another hunt if you have the loud poppers. Some times this may not be possible cause of limited grounds. We all know how hard it is getting to get quality grounds to put on a test so we can play. A land owner may not like the fact that we are using rounds that can hurt someone. Then we would be looking elsewere for grounds to have the test. IMO it is just better for everyone in general not to use live rounds. I have nothing against AKC test and I like the louder shots in those test. There you have a bird boy with ear protection "should have anyway" in a controller enviroment that creates no danger to anyone there.

Primer loads are about 1/3 the cost of popper loads, FWIW
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

I cannot believe how much the drag is smoking right now....
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy