The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: teacher tenure

Default teacher tenure

http://www.newser.com/story/188248/j...gn=rss_topnews

Here is a small glimmer of hope. This should catch on in every state in the USA...........I hope.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

What a poorly written and researched article. The author has no understanding of tenure. Tenure is in no way a free pass. Tenured teachers can be and are fired every year due to poor performance.

This reminds me of some of the teachers around Tulsa OK..............some are not fired. Teachers' union and tenure save their jobs for them. I have not kept count.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

The article you question was merely a report of a court decision rendered yesterday. Poorly written or not, the judge decided that tenure benefits the teachers the most and the students the least.

Perhaps the NY Times ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/11/us...onal.html?_r=0

or the LA Times ...

http://www.latimes.com/local/educati...ry.html#page=1
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

charly_t as an Oakie are you happy w/your Governor and Oklahoma state? She just signed your state legislated bill to reject Common Core standards which she initially accepted. It has been stated since she is Chairman of the Governor's Council it is a bit embarrassing that Oklahoma is the 3rd state to reject CC while 40 are still in. Comments?

Tenure does not guarantee teachers a job, but instead mandates that due process be followed before tenured teachers are dismissed. That's it. The fact is that most people simply do not understand this fact.

Those of us that have dealt with unions before know that these 'due process' clauses make it impossible to fire a union member, with the rare exception when they are caught on tape jumping one of the students, or maybe punching out another teacher .....

You cannot get rid of them because the 'Just Cannot Teach"! And that is the problem.....some can't!

I would bet that everyone that reads this can list a few teachers they had in the past, that just could not teach!

swampcollielover ..teachers can also list all their students who would not learn when given multiple opportunities to do so. I can remember a few years back when I was under considerable administrative pressure to "bag" a young man. My style was to give each kid enough rope to do themselves in. He did. He knew it. He failed. The following year after failure he became my most constant visitor where he acknowledged he screwed up but I did not give up on him. He said he respected me. You figure. How does tenure figure in that? What about the parents? What about the individual kid? He was not the first nor the last. My rep was being a fair "hard-azz."Many people thought HS was a road-bump on the highway to college/success w/out working.

South Carolina is a at will state, teachers can be fired "at will", and have. We need to make sure that just as much emphasis is put on keeping good teachers as there is on getting rid of the bad ones. My wife has taught for over 30 years, so I hear all of the stories every night. Those of you who are married to a teacher will relate. It seems to me its just like any other profession, you have those who are passionate about teaching and care about the kids, and then you have those who just show up for a paycheck. Weeding them out however would be a difficult task. All children are different with different learning capabilities, same as Lab's. A good trainer/teacher modifies there program to the child/pup. You can never predict what kind of students you may have from year to year, some will be excellent and others not so much. That's why grading a teacher based on student test scores is totally flawed. This has been a problem and always will be in a government run education system. A private sector education system would weed them out quicker, but I'm not sure that is the answer either.
    Blackfoot's Tide is Right Pistor
    Cacao Yates
    CD RE CGC CPE L-3