The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: teacher tenure

Never a teacher but I was a school board member in NY several years ago.

I don't know if it is true or not but I was told many years ago that tenure came about because agricultural communities would not keep seasoned teachers without it because of the cost of the seasoned teachers. This country was basically agricultural a while back so maybe it is true. In any case some feel test scores are the bench mark to measure teachers but I disagree. Test scores by themselves are not a fair evaluation. For example most of us know people who perform well but test poorly and those whose test great and perform poorly.

I don't have the answer as to how to measure teachers effectiveness but IMHO tenure does nothing to solve that problem.

Here is an interesting read.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/11/us...onal.html?_r=0
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

Forget tenure... why all the time off? Why not use the summer months to have your class outside exploring nature and learning the ways of the outdoors. Maybe life lessons, vs book lessons would help kids more. Keep them out of trouble if they are tired from hiking around.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    Forget tenure... why all the time off? Why not use the summer months to have your class outside exploring nature and learning the ways of the outdoors. Maybe life lessons, vs book lessons would help kids more. Keep them out of trouble if they are tired from hiking around.
    That's exactly what the kids should be doing in the summer along with working, and that all can be handled by the parents.

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    That's exactly what the kids should be doing in the summer along with working, and that all can be handled by the parents.
    That's a great idea. Make parents responsible for their spawn.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

How about we let the kids be kids all summer but the adults (teachers) keep working to improve themselves and their teaching all summer. I can only imagine how bad at my job I would be if I took 3 months off every year. Do teachers really have all summer off?

Quote Originally Posted by nailbender View Post
    How about we let the kids be kids all summer but the adults (teachers) keep working to improve themselves and their teaching all summer. I can only imagine how bad at my job I would be if I took 3 months off every year. Do teachers really have all summer off?
    no they don't. A lot of times they must take classes or go to conferences. They really only get about 10 weeks. Also, please remember the good teachers work 12 hour days when school is in, there is hardly a night that my wife is not working on papers, lessons etc., some of it is unneeded paperwork required by the district. My wife has always said if they would leave her alone so she could teach, the kids would be a whole lot better off.
    Blackfoot's Tide is Right Pistor
    Cacao Yates
    CD RE CGC CPE L-3

Parents these days are lazy. They expect the teachers to educate there kids without them lifting a finger. There to busy with there own lives to care about there kids.
    Blackfoot's Tide is Right Pistor
    Cacao Yates
    CD RE CGC CPE L-3

Quote Originally Posted by nailbender View Post
    Of course we do! This year ended on June 6. I had 2 professional development days on the 9th & 10th. Summer school starts on the 16th and runs 5 weeks (ends July 18). They clean classrooms after that so I get my keys back on Aug 1.

I reconstruct my room (when we leave everything has to come off the walls, desks are piled floor to ceiling, file cabinet and all book cases emptied so carpets can be cleaned). I am the grade level coordinator and will have a meeting with the 5 other teachers (2 new ones, have only met 1) on Aug 4 to discuss how we want the year to look. Mandatory district meetings Aug 11 & 12. School starts on Aug 13.

I'm not complaining at all. This is a great gig. I had my own business for 17 years and worked for the people that bought it for 5 years after the sale. Working half days back then meant being able to pick which 12 hrs you worked.

Quote Originally Posted by schusker View Post
    Parents these days are lazy. They expect the teachers to educate there kids without them lifting a finger. There to busy with there own lives to care about there kids.
    Blame it on the parents....! That is why home schooling has grown 10 fold in the last 10 years? Doesn't make since does it? Maybe to parents is about the quality of education, even if they have to teach it!

Fixed it for ya...

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    Blame it on the parents....! That is why home schooling has grown 10 fold in the last 10 years among Glenn Beck worshippers and other tin foil hat wearing people? Doesn't make since does it? Maybe to parents is about the quality of education, even if they have to teach it!

Approximately 3 percent of the school-age population was homeschooled in the 2011–12 school year. Among children who were homeschooled, a higher percentage were White (68 percent) than Black (8 percent), Hispanic (15 percent), or Asian or Pacific Islander (4 percent).

http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=91

Swampy, please don't try these stunts at home (homeschooling). These people are paid professionals... Bless your heart and have a nice day.