The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Really 30+ dogs for one handler

Default Really 30+ dogs for one handler

https://www.entryexpress.net/loggedi....aspx?eid=6794

This isn't about being able to get in or not for me I was given the heads up, I was at work and unable to get to a computer fine really doesn't matter to me but I was planning on running and working the weekend, for a club I do not belong to, but It's more about a club having there first HT and what a nightmare one "Pro" is going to create, instead of having a bunch of enteries from the surronding clubs with people willing to step in and give a hand now they have 3/4 of the field split between 2 pro's... All I can say is the system is terribly flawed. Feel really bad for the club..
    Last edited by Todd Caswell; 06-10-2014 at 09:15 PM.

that's insane!!!! What can be done about stuff like that? I was going to post a thread about people judging who have their dogs pro trained and don't really know set ups. For a new comer like me it makes a guy hesitate about joining the sport, im addicted to it so it wont matter lol but aren't the odds stacked enough against the ams wheather in the hunt test or field trials. Seems like things are more geared around making a buck...?

Just wait and see how many of those he will actually run?

Hunt test is your dog against a standard so there aren't any "odds" but the participation is key for this sport and a pro taking up that many spots is pretty crazy. Club either needs to put more flights and make more positions available or something in my opinion

I know a hunt test is dog against a standard, but isn't having no spots for an am kind of like going against odds?

Middle of Michigan n Matagorda TX (no more cause the RV park we stayed in said no to outside dogs.

I still maintain the answer is a pro circuit and an amateur circuit. Let those that profit pay for the cost of an event upfront not relying on clubs to bankroll thier income.
    John C aka jacduck

Do you really want to increase entries at the Junior Hunt Test level? Simply put a limit on entries and everyone will flock to JR and fight over how to get in and what to change to make it fair for all !!!!!

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

I would put both on the clock from the start and make them work their asses off in the process. Run each am handled dog first and the two pro last. No reason for am's to wait on 2/3 of the field to gather dogs.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

My guess is the pro in question called the club hunt chair prior to entering the dogs.
    Mark Land

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    My guess is the pro in question called the club hunt chair prior to entering the dogs.
    My guess is he will chime in at some point, but NO that was not the case..

First off I am not anti pro, I consider a few of them good friends, and MANY contibute and do more than there fair share in both the FT and HT games, but the ones that I speak of know that it takes both sides to make this game work, and don't take advantage of the situation. In this case I feel it is a complete lack of respect for the club to put them in a position where he is going to cost them money ( bydogs=extra time=xtra hired help) and extra live birds, throw bydogs in the mix with nobirds and you have a huge added expence to the club. Also a lack of respect for other handlers, seems to be all about me and my costomers. Never met the guy but may plan on going over to help the club out and introduce myself.. I would think marshaling would be the job to have for the 2 days
    Last edited by Todd Caswell; 06-10-2014 at 10:16 PM.