The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Really 30+ dogs for one handler

Quote Originally Posted by suepuff View Post
    The problem is not the pros. It is not the limits. It is the MN. That is what is driving this bus.
    ...........the problem as I see it is that the standard is judged to "LOW".......

The problem is not the pros, they are playing by the rules that in place. This has been an issue on RTF for a while, yet when a club proposes a change to the process it gets defeated because not a 2/3 majority are in favor. Are the people on here not the majority or not active in retriever clubs? The pros are on the board that makes the decisions for the hunt tests so nothing is going to change as far as entries because they are making the rules. I am not anti pro in any way. They have to make a living and the clubs need the pros entries to break even and hopefully turn a profit. The problem is the amatuer is being pushed aside the way it is now. Clubs have put up a proposal to put only amatuers on the committee and it failed. My club has authored 2 proposal on rule changes in the past year and both have failed. Bitching on RTF is not helping anything, get involved and change it if you dont like it.

I see 3 possible solutions:

1. Put the amatuer back in charge of the game and let them make the rules. Vote on this proposal has already failed due to not getting the 2/3 majority needed.
    2. Change the qualification for the master national back to pass 6 of 8 tests in a year to get in.
    3. Create an owner handler master stake. This will hurt the clubs financially since the pros generally help pay the bills but will allow the amatuer to get in and play.

If anyone else has any thoughts on how to change the system feel free to write up a proposal and submit it for a vote. If not lets keep putting up a 10 page gripe fest on how hard it is to get into master tests each spring and fall and nothing will change.

Russell Huffman
    CH Chisholm Trail's Backdraft Bay MH**
    Chisholm Trail's Crossfire Sophie JH**
    "I say goodbye to my weakness, so long to the regrets"

Quote Originally Posted by stonybrook View Post
    When my club test was posted a few weeks ago (late May I believe), Master was filled in about 2-3 days. This is for a test in August. Should a person really have to be forced to enter a test 2 months in advance just to be assured a spot? I know of a couple of club members that missed the boat and weren't able to get entered. I know they will still come and work but I'm not sure I would blame them if they didn't.
    why did/would your club or any club for that matter open that early......post your event but don't open til 30 days prior to your event date.....

I was at a test earlier this summer where a pro had a bunch of dogs and he ran every other dog. I did not see any problems with it. His dogs were better than most the other dogs running and took less time to run. It might be very different in the area of country I live in but most the complaining I think is limited to the same folks that would complain anyway.
    Last edited by Waterdogs; 06-11-2014 at 07:37 AM.
    Faith consists in believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe.

The problem is not the pros, they are playing by the rules that in place. This has been an issue on RTF for a while, yet when a club proposes a change to the process it gets defeated because not a 2/3 majority are in favor. Are the people on here not the majority or not active in retriever clubs? The pros are on the board that makes the decisions for the hunt tests so nothing is going to change as far as entries because they are making the rules. I am not anti pro in any way. They have to make a living and the clubs need the pros entries to break even and hopefully turn a profit. The problem is the amatuer is being pushed aside the way it is now. Clubs have put up a proposal to put only amatuers on the committee and it failed. My club has authored 2 proposal on rule changes in the past year and both have failed. Bitching on RTF is not helping anything, get involved and change it if you dont like it.

I see 3 possible solutions:

1. Put the amatuer back in charge of the game and let them make the rules. Vote on this proposal has already failed due to not getting the 2/3 majority needed.
    2. Change the qualification for the master national back to pass 6 of 8 tests in a year to get in.
    3. Create an owner handler master stake. This will hurt the clubs financially since the pros generally help pay the bills but will allow the amatuer to get in and play.

If anyone else has any thoughts on how to change the system feel free to write up a proposal and submit it for a vote. If not lets keep putting up a 10 page gripe fest on how hard it is to get into master tests each spring and fall and nothing will change.

Russell Huffman
    What planet are you from.

In over 25 years I have never seen what you describe. Hunt tests are run by amateurs for the most part. And they are the ones who fuel professional trainers.

I am an officer in one club and a board member in another. My vote has always counted as 1 vote. And I work 6 events a year and run very few customer dogs in HT's at the moment.

My experience is not unique.

I think your just shooting off thoughts at the top of your head, fueled by emotion. Unjust animosity is easy to build.
    The problems that success brings re the best kind of problems.

Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by suepuff View Post
    The problem is not the pros. It is not the limits. It is the MN. That is what is driving this bus.
    100% agree

Quote Originally Posted by skyy View Post
    ...........the problem as I see it is that the standard is judged to "LOW".......
    Maybe where you are. And if that is the case, go to Field trials. I do this for fun. I only train 2 or 3 days a week due to work and time constraints and I do other stuff with my dogs. Why does anyone else care if I don't pass or if it takes me 5 years to get a title? It gives me things to work on for next time and it's my money to waste. It's the journey I enjoy. If it's not the same for others and they have other priorities, that's fine....

What to do about MN? Go back to the 6 out of 8 passes like someone said. It wasn't an issue with tests filling to capacity quickly back then when that was the way to get qualified. To me, that makes it more challenging then just running repeatedly until you get your passes. 6 out of 8 shows consistency. Shouldn't the dogs running MN be the best of the best? If so, make the qualification hard. Right now, if you throw enough money at it, you can get the 5 or whatever passes you need. And that fills up tests for people that want to play the 'sport' and have fun with their dogs, family and friends.

I'm with Kim, except I won't be going over to FTs. I know I don't have the dogs with the capability to run at that high level, nor the money or time to play that game. And that's ok.

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    What planet are you from.

In over 25 years I have never seen what you describe. Hunt tests are run by amateurs for the most part. And they are the ones who fuel professional trainers.

I am an officer in one club and a board member in another. My vote has always counted as 1 vote. And I work 6 events a year and run very few customer dogs in HT's at the moment.

My experience is not unique.

I think your just shooting off thoughts at the top of your head, fueled by emotion. Unjust animosity is easy to build.
    The problems that success brings re the best kind of problems.

Pete
    Not shooting from the hip. Are some pros representing clubs as the proxy at master national meetings? I am not saying all clubs are represented by pros but some are and they are going to vote for thier interest, not blaming them. We put a proposal to the master national saying that all proxys should meet the definition of amatuer status and it did not meet the 2/3 majority.

My point with my original post was that people want to get on here and gripe and complain about the system but I havent seen any proposals brought up that would address the issues. Ten pages of complaining on RTF does nothing to address the issues.

Beating a dead horse.
    CH Chisholm Trail's Backdraft Bay MH**
    Chisholm Trail's Crossfire Sophie JH**
    "I say goodbye to my weakness, so long to the regrets"

Quote Originally Posted by Huff View Post
    Not shooting from the hip. Are some pros representing clubs as the proxy at master national meetings? I am not saying all clubs are represented by pros but some are and they are going to vote for thier interest, not blaming them. We put a proposal to the master national saying that all proxys should meet the definition of amatuer status and it did not meet the 2/3 majority.
    And how would that proposal have changed anything? Pro or amateur, if a club can't trust its proxy to vote as directed, pick proxy it can trust.

Quote Originally Posted by TIM DOANE View Post

I really hope you go run your dog and see if it really is the "nightmare" you have predicted. I would love to hear from you on Monday.
    Let's also have Ray report in on the Monday after the test
    . I'd like to know that he only runs 13 of those 33 dogs as he claims. Also Id like to know if he scratches any of those 33 dogs