The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Really 30+ dogs for one handler

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post
    It would be less efficient to have to enter one dog at the time, regardless of who does it (owner/pro/whoever). However, if you required the opening time to be published and limited entries to one dog at a time, how could anybody argue that it was not about as fair as it could get as far as the opportunity to enter?
    That was the point of the comment I made. Let everyone who is interested have an equal opportunity to enter by making the date & time known when entries would be opened. As you said, seems fair to me.
    David Didier, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Beil View Post
    Who would put on the amateur tests? Without the pros, most of these tests don't get enough dogs entered to make any money.
    Oh I'm not saying that I have the answers, just that I like the idea. I know the pros are very important to the sport, but to get back to the original post, I don't like that they took all the spots and the person with one or two dogs is unable to get a spot.
    ​Laura

Can Ch UGRCH URO2 SHR Kelrobin Black Minx RA JH CD WC CGCA BN Can RN PCD CGN WC CD

Quote Originally Posted by Tater 7 View Post
    I think that a good solution would be to say limit pro entries to 1/2 of the available spots and the other 1/2 for amateurs for one month before the event, then cut the amateur entry date off 2-3 days before the official close date which is 2 weeks before the event date if I am not mistaken and then allow the pros to fill up the remainder of the spots that were not filled by amatuers. This would at the very least insure equal balance between pros and amateurs regarding the number of entries if the event fills up. And by amatuer, the dog must be owned and handled by an amateur as to keep pros/workers of pros entering dogs on the amateur side. This would put responsibility for owners to come out and get involved with their dogs that may be pro trained too.
    Sounds fair but difficult, costly & time consuming to implement & administer for the entry service & club. Further the closer you get to the event date the more difficult for entrants to get motel rooms, make travel arrangements etc. Instead, just open the entry process at a known time & date & give everyone an equal opportunity to enter. A person entering 1-2 dogs would have a distinct advantage of getting his entries done before a pro entering a lot of dogs. That balance should satisfy all of these amateurs with concerns for the high volume pro taking a large number of spots.
    David Didier, GA

I blame the HRC: If the grand hadn't become such a line manners beat down, half these evil pros would not have switched to AKC and would be wearing face paint and sitting on buckets instead of stinking up AKC tests.

I blame the SRS: If they had been a little less obvious about rigging the game, a bunch of these dirty lowdown pros would be wearing out whistles picking up rubber ducks instead of stealing from amateurs at HTs

I blame the greedy clubs: don't have land? Get on Trulia and buy some; don't have water? Google backhoe services and make a pond; don't have help? Mapquest the nearest home depot where there is lots of help on Saturday mornings.

I blame the judges: If they weren't wasting their weekends passing dogs, nobody would be able to enter these MH tests and take my slot away.

I blame Xerox: If Xerox hadn't invented the copier, there would have been no way AKC could have stolen the NAHRA rules and HTs would never have taken off and the pros would still only be able to work for the scions of robber barons, subsisting on stolen crumbs from the kitchen like the vermin that they are.

I blame RTF: if it weren't for RTF nobody could go from the 'getting my first dog' post to dispensing training advice in a month and it would be much harder to learn to train dogs on the interwebs and there would be nobody running MH.

Finally, I blame EE: because I am just a caveman and technology frightens and confuses me.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Sadly it appears that Todd won't be able to give us any updates on how his run went; as the test is filled.
    The local Amateur can't get in but the pro from 1000's of miles away gets 33 dogs in.
    Someone please tell me how that is fair? Also let me know how that dovetails with the fact that the HT game was started as a game for the Amateur.

I also noticed that even though the Master is full a month and a half before closing that there are as of now zero entries in SR & JR

People frequently talk about how the Pros keep the game alive and help the clubs survive with their large truck full of entries.
    The Clubs generally make more money due to less resources required off of the JR & SR stakes IF there are large entries.

Seems like if these Pro's are so interested in being altruistic and "supporting the clubs" that they could bring a bunch of dogs for the JR & SR stakes also

I'll be interested to see how many dogs Ray enters { "to help support the club"} in the JR & SR

The master test opened up for entires on a certain date. It appears Ray logged on entry express, entered the dogs he wished to run, and paid the entry fee. He did this before others did so, and therefore filled a number of spots on a limited roster. He beat you to the sign ups, just like a number of other folks did. Seems pretty fair to me...

Some of you need to get off his entitlement wagon. The folks who think pro's should be required to work for free, need to step out of Obama-land for a bit and come back to reality. We don't demand that anyone with a veterinary degree is to work the event for free, if they wish to participate in a master test. We don't tell the guy who works for coca-cola, that he must work the concession stand for free if he wishes to run any dogs. So why the hell would people think it's ok that they dictate to a pro trainer that they had better volunteer to work for free or bring free help if they plan on running a dog? Volunteering is just that....it's something you offer to do, out of kindness, in order to contribute. But it sure as heck isn't supposed to be dictated. If a club can't find enough help to host an event, then they need to reorganize how they do things, and not host a test until they can find/hire enough help. It's not Rays job to find different ways to support the club monetarily. That's the job of the club officers and it's members. Ray's job is to show up on time, run the dogs he has entered in a timely fashion, and leave the grounds in a respectable and clean manner. Anything beyond that is up to Ray ( or any other handler). And knowing Ray...I'm sure he will go above and beyond.
    Last edited by Quacktastic; 06-11-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    Sounds fair but difficult, costly & time consuming to implement & administer for the entry service & club. Further the closer you get to the event date the more difficult for entrants to get motel rooms, make travel arrangements etc. Instead, just open the entry process at a known time & date & give everyone an equal opportunity to enter. A person entering 1-2 dogs would have a distinct advantage of getting his entries done before a pro entering a lot of dogs. That balance should satisfy all of these amateurs with concerns for the high volume pro taking a large number of spots.
    I don't think it would be hard to manage. It would be done a number of ways using entry express. For instance, Set it up so that there is a check box indicating pro or amateur. To keep amateurs from entering under the pro division after their cut off, provide the pros with a special number or certain way that they can only enter the test after the amateur entry period is closed.

Or, they could set up 2 different entries for pro and amateur. Pros would be required to have a special identification code or something that entry express can recognize they are a pro with, to be able to enter the pro category before a certain date. After that date, any person can enter the pro category without a code.

There are many other ways they could set up this kind of system but those are just some ideas. That is the fairest way I could think to make the entry opportunities equal. I'm all for the pros. A lot of them are willing to help out an amateur when looking for training advice and at events. For those of you that completely bash pros, please do not post on here looking for professional advice if you are going to criticize them while they are doing their job. They have a family to feed just like most of you and are just doing what they are paid to do. Its almost being a hypocrite to ask them for help but then try to ban them or limit them from the games you are trying to compete in also. There just needs to be some sort of equal balance during competition.

There are rude and mean people on both sides of the field but its not fair to classify all the pros as the same kind of people when only some of them cause a bad reputation.
    Last edited by Tater 7; 06-11-2014 at 01:41 PM.

Richard Wolters is turning in his grave. RIP

Whose judging that jr? since its wide open i might sign up my dog if those judges aren't too tough, do they care if I wear a leash or my dog brings back a shoe from the bird boy- will they count it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
    What is a dual?
    Would SOMEONE please answer this question.
    Tim Doane , Kingseed Kennels
    GRHRCH UH Hunters Marsh King Elijah MNH QAA "Ely"
    GRHRCH Kingseeds Little Miss Dangerous MNH QAA " Stella "
    GRHRCH Kingseeds Queen Of Grace MH " Hannah "
    www.kingseedkennels.com

Here's a simple answer to the problem. The OWNER must run their dog at tests. Have a pro train it but the owner must be present to run the dog... Simple. Don't run HT but seems to make sense since the game was designed for amateur hunters.
    "Women are like labradors...,they all have their quarks."~Phil Robertson