The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Really 30+ dogs for one handler

Just a side note and a plea from all HTS out there, if you are a Pro and know your client is running the dog or if you are the client and you know you are running the dog, please remove your Pro's name. It helps when setting up the running order to ensure there are enough dogs in between those dogs being run by the same handler.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    Just a side note and a plea from all HTS out there, if you are a Pro and know your client is running the dog or if you are the client and you know you are running the dog, please remove your Pro's name. It helps when setting up the running order to ensure there are enough dogs in between those dogs being run by the same handler.
    If you didn't put down the correct handler when you entered on EE, go the marshal first thing in the morning, and put the correct handler name on the dog so the marshal can cross out any incorrect handler names. That really helps the marshal!
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

Did the Master National titles (i.e., MN5, etc.) contribute to the increased number of Master-level dogs running AKC Hunting Tests and being handled by pros? If not, what are the reasons for all the pro-handled dogs in the Master division of hunting tests?
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

The reason there isn't a solution coming up in these posts is because you're trying to solve something that isn't the problem. The problem is that you have more demand for the slots than you have slots. There are really only 2 approaches to resolving that. First, reduce the demand. This can be done by making it harder for people to enter, limiting how many entries, not allowing pros, not allowing yellow dogs, making it not conditional to running the MN etc. The problem is that we have folks who are willing to spend money and willing to participate - so it's kind of silly - having paying customers isn't a problem that needs solved.

Second, increase the supply. Any business that has a superabundance of paying customers would normally take this approach.

In this specific instance, the problem is the 60 dog limit. What can be done to remove the limits. Figure the club probably makes about 25% profit on a reasonably full flight, so about $1000 on one full flight. If they had 3 flights, they triple their profit. If the money is there in the form of paying customers, then we need to figure out a way to deliver the product to the marketplace.

At the $75 entry fee, the pro who entered 33 dogs is bringing almost $2500 of revenue to the club. It's important to the club to cultivate these kinds of "customers" not find ways to make it harder for them. And from what I've heard, this particular pro is ALWAYS willing to chip in and do at least his share of the work. So what if he's getting paid to train and run dogs, the bottom line is that he's the biggest customer at this test by far. Sure we can talk all kinds of altruistic talk about how we do it for the dogs or for the sport, and not for the money, but I got news for you. If clubs can't make money having tests, they won't put them on. Chase the pros out of this game and you'll have a lot of clubs deciding they can't afford to put on a test with 12JH, 14SH and 11MH dogs.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Donway's Dixieland Delight - Dixie 2/24/1997 - 2001
    Rebel's Ruffian Hank - Hank - 6/05/2001 - 2/3/2011 - Profile Picture
    Blue Ridge Pot O Gold - Sťamus - 1/22/2011 -
    Old North State Queen Anne's Revenge- Annie- 3/21/2013-

Quote Originally Posted by Luke T View Post
    Man, how can someone train that many dogs?
    With a lot of competent help (that I imagine he will bring to the test to feed, air and water the dogs + bring them thru the holding blinds to the line).
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Beil View Post
    The reason there isn't a solution coming up in these posts is because you're trying to solve something that isn't the problem.test by far.

Sure we can talk all kinds of altruistic talk about how we do it for the dogs or for the sport, and not for the money, but I got news for you. If clubs can't make money having tests, they won't put them on. Chase the pros out of this game and you'll have a lot of clubs deciding they can't afford to put on a test with 12JH, 14SH and 11MH dogs.
    I agree that putting on hunt tests is done for alturistic reasons. I think those reasons have to do with opportunity for club members at the event and reciprocating to members of other clubs to have the opportunity to enter. If individuals are shut out, the interest in supporting tests wanes and clubs will stop underwriting them. Very few tests make money if the time, out of pocket expenses for volunteers such as mileage etc. and amotization of equipment are added into the equation.

I do not blame the pros (except when they withdraw all of their dogs a the last minute) but I think something in the system needs to be tweaked.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Beil View Post
    The reason there isn't a solution coming up in these posts is because you're trying to solve something that isn't the problem. The problem is that you have more demand for the slots than you have slots. There are really only 2 approaches to resolving that. First, reduce the demand. This can be done by making it harder for people to enter, limiting how many entries, not allowing pros, not allowing yellow dogs, making it not conditional to running the MN etc. The problem is that we have folks who are willing to spend money and willing to participate - so it's kind of silly - having paying customers isn't a problem that needs solved.

Second, increase the supply. Any business that has a superabundance of paying customers would normally take this approach.

In this specific instance, the problem is the 60 dog limit. What can be done to remove the limits. Figure the club probably makes about 25% profit on a reasonably full flight, so about $1000 on one full flight. If they had 3 flights, they triple their profit. If the money is there in the form of paying customers, then we need to figure out a way to deliver the product to the marketplace.

At the $75 entry fee, the pro who entered 33 dogs is bringing almost $2500 of revenue to the club. It's important to the club to cultivate these kinds of "customers" not find ways to make it harder for them. And from what I've heard, this particular pro is ALWAYS willing to chip in and do at least his share of the work. So what if he's getting paid to train and run dogs, the bottom line is that he's the biggest customer at this test by far. Sure we can talk all kinds of altruistic talk about how we do it for the dogs or for the sport, and not for the money, but I got news for you. If clubs can't make money having tests, they won't put them on. Chase the pros out of this game and you'll have a lot of clubs deciding they can't afford to put on a test with 12JH, 14SH and 11MH dogs.
    I have said this several times to no avail...
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    When there are tests with more than one flight, clients running their own dogs put the pro's name down too so they can be in the same flight together...
    The dog will always prove you wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    https://www.entryexpress.net/loggedi....aspx?eid=6794

This isn't about being able to get in or not for me I was given the heads up, I was at work and unable to get to a computer fine really doesn't matter to me but I was planning on running and working the weekend, for a club I do not belong to, but It's more about a club having there first HT and what a nightmare one "Pro" is going to create, instead of having a bunch of enteries from the surronding clubs with people willing to step in and give a hand now they have 3/4 of the field split between 2 pro's... All I can say is the system is terribly flawed. Feel really bad for the club..

Wow! I was thinking about taking a couple of my dogs and trying hunt tests out. That test doesn't close till July 28th master is full already? If its that hard to get entered in a master test, screw it, I'll take my lumps on the field trial circuit. Is this a result of folks trying to qualify for the MN? If folks are looking for more competition, they can find it in trials.
    Last edited by Buzz; 06-11-2014 at 03:36 PM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Labs View Post
    When there are tests with more than one flight, clients running their own dogs put the pro's name down too so they can be in the same flight together...
    What difference should that make? Don't they have a truck with a crate in it so they can transport their dogs to another flight?
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)