The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Really 30+ dogs for one handler

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll sleep on it and decide in the morning. No need to discuss it with you I know where you stand with the situation from the paperwork you helped formulate a few months ago. Like I said it's a flawed system, Id'e make it a point to contact the owners and get your name off there paperwork, 13 dogs entered by a handler is a reasonable # 33 isn't
    Translation "I'm too chicken sh*t to talk to a man in person, I just like hiding behind my keyboard and stirring up drama on an Internet message board." You had no intention of running your dog in that test Todd, so why pick a fight? Sleep on that for a while, since you won't be thinking about running your dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Quacktastic View Post
    Translation "I'm too chicken sh*t to talk to a man in person, I just like hiding behind my keyboard and stirring up drama on an Internet message board." You had no intention of running your dog in that test Todd, so why pick a fight? Sleep on that for a while, since you won't be thinking about running your dog.
    OH BOY are you out of line with that comment!!! All the good things people have said on this thread regarding Ray, go ahead and double that for Todd!!
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

I can't believe that those of us who know Ray have not mentioned already that his wife judges also.
    I have been on a plane all day and this is my first read while waiting for the next one.
    And as far as training 30+ dogs. I used to train more for the public than I do now, and at one time had 16 client dogs and 8 of my own. I trained alone. All got adequate work each day because I started at 5:30 and went till done. Not a lot of discussion about every single set up, mark and blind, and beer drinking in between dogs like you see at many club training days. Load the wingers and get after it. Have a plan. Execute it. Have a plan B. Not rocket surgery to paraphrase Richard. It's a profession and those who are good at it can make it look tremendously easier than it really is.
    I have run a bunch of HT's this spring, judged 1, marshalled several, helped put one on as part of my payback and can only think of one pro who gummed the works. It was in Fla., I had never seen him before and unfortunately, both days he held up all 3 flights, talking to clients and friends. HE IS THE EXCEPTION, NOT THE RULE!!!!!!!!! And he only had about 8 dogs.
    My take on this whole Pro thing is that a lot of non pros who wish to run the MH don't train to the standard necessary to pass the test and when compared to pro trained dogs, they don't measure up. I know that is not how it is supposed to be judged, but it is just human nature. They would like to think if it were all non pros, the bar would be lower. There you go, a topic for another discussion.
    Off to Argentina regards,
    MP
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.

I have a friend with a single dog that ran in about 6 master tests this spring. He was able to get registered via EE but had to work very hard at continually watching EE for openings.
    I don't have an issue with this pro entering 13 dogs but I think the other 20 handlers should enter their own dogs and compete for openings just like every one else.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    All I can say is, I am sick of it. I've run HT for years. Have 3 dogs entered in a bunch of MH thru Oct. Though I did get in most limited MH that I wanted so far this season, several filled up so fast, I didn't, and, I seriously dislike having to play games to get my dogs entered, and in some cases, months in advance. I totally understand the clubs that need to limit entries, that's fine. I am not anti-pro by any stretch. But, this is wrong. And I'm about done running HT and certainly not going to work them or bother to jump through the hoops now required to judge them. I'll take my lickings running FT and at least have fun, they're still willing to take my money and let me play. When I don't have fun anymore, I quit playing the game. I don't have any answers or cures. I just think it's wrong.
    You look good in white Kim And I am of the same opinion BTW - Jumping thru hoops to get my training in is one thing - to enter an event that used to be as simple as writing a check and putting a stamp on the envelope twist into this is absurd ..Hope I look good in white too regards...........
    SEMPER FI . FROM MY COLD , DEAD HANDS .

www.bashakilllabradors.com

Quote Originally Posted by Quacktastic View Post
    Real nice quaktastic!! Todd is a helluva nice guy who is very generous and involved in this sport. He deserves an apology!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    If folks are looking for more competition, they can find it in trials.
    Where is the competition in trials? Anyone can enter one of them--they don't have a limit. The best part is I pretty much always have my Sundays free.

Seriously, it will peter out. It will be especially tough in the east and in the fall, but once dogs get qualified it will slow down. Late spring would be a good time if you want to give it a shot.

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    What difference should that make? Don't they have a truck with a crate in it so they can transport their dogs to another flight?
    Many times no they don't.
    Mike Peters

Quote Originally Posted by Tater 7 View Post
    I don't think it would be hard to manage. It would be done a number of ways using entry express. For instance, Set it up so that there is a check box indicating pro or amateur. To keep amateurs from entering under the pro division after their cut off, provide the pros with a special number or certain way that they can only enter the test after the amateur entry period is closed.

Or, they could set up 2 different entries for pro and amateur. Pros would be required to have a special identification code or something that entry express can recognize they are a pro with, to be able to enter the pro category before a certain date. After that date, any person can enter the pro category without a code.

There are many other ways they could set up this kind of system but those are just some ideas. That is the fairest way I could think to make the entry opportunities equal. I'm all for the pros. A lot of them are willing to help out an amateur when looking for training advice and at events. For those of you that completely bash pros, please do not post on here looking for professional advice if you are going to criticize them while they are doing their job. They have a family to feed just like most of you and are just doing what they are paid to do. Its almost being a hypocrite to ask them for help but then try to ban them or limit them from the games you are trying to compete in also. There just needs to be some sort of equal balance during competition.

There are rude and mean people on both sides of the field but its not fair to classify all the pros as the same kind of people when only some of them cause a bad reputation.
    Just so you know, I am speaking for EE & anytime there is software code programming involved which your suggestions would require, it is difficult & costly. Beyond the s/w programing, you have the issue of owners who are amateurs entering & then having pros running the dogs, so you have accomplished nothing - and you give the club something else to regulate when the clubs consist of volunteers that have too much to do already in hosting an event.
    David Didier, GA

Quote Originally Posted by HiRollerlabs View Post
    Did the Master National titles (i.e., MN5, etc.) contribute to the increased number of Master-level dogs running AKC Hunting Tests and being handled by pros? If not, what are the reasons for all the pro-handled dogs in the Master division of hunting tests?
    Owners with more money than time, lack of desire to learn how to handle the newly trained dog and the need to say they own a Master Hunter.

I own MH is the New Black Regards
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!