The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Really 30+ dogs for one handler

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Part of the issue in the north east with grounds is that people aren't accustomed to traveling long distances (so much) to get to tests. Where I am I have 8 or more opportunities close enough to home to commute (I didn't count exact numbers but there are a pile).

Elsewhere in the country a 4 hour drive isn't really considered out of the ordinary.

If the NE participants thought that way properties in NY, DE and MD would be more practical...
    Here in Central Okla., I have one test that's one hour away. EVERYTHING else is 3-4 hrs., or more away! Just the way it is. Saddle Up !!

Bill

[QUOTE=Rick_C;1227754]I don't know what club(s) you belong to but the ones I belonged to would have lost money if it weren't for pro entries. The whole argument that the pro's are the problem just speaks to the ignorance of the people typing such nonsense.

How about this new and different idea.

You own the dog, you run the dog at the FT or the HT. Leave the Pro back at the ranch to train.

Just think how much more fun each individual owner would have playing the game they signed up for to play!!!!!
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

Several comments
    Ray has already posted that while his name might be on 30 dogs, he is handling 13. However, his name keeps being brought up as the person who caused this discussion.
    It isn't always a case that once qualified a dog stops running weekend tests. In fact many keep running. This further clogs the weekend tests for those not yet qualified. Not saying right or wrong, but just the way it is.

I would imagine opening dates will soon be posted on EE. Certainly a step in the right direction.
    Tom Dorroh

[QUOTE=Wade;1227847]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_C View Post
    I don't know what club(s) you belong to but the ones I belonged to would have lost money if it weren't for pro entries. The whole argument that the pro's are the problem just speaks to the ignorance of the people typing such nonsense.

You own the dog, you run the dog at the FT or the HT. Leave the Pro back at the ranch to train.

Just think how much more fun each individual owner would have playing the game they signed up for to play!!!!!
    Woo Hoo!!!!!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

[QUOTE=Wade;1227847]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_C View Post
    I don't know what club(s) you belong to but the ones I belonged to would have lost money if it weren't for pro entries. The whole argument that the pro's are the problem just speaks to the ignorance of the people typing such nonsense.

I suppose my pro could take my sons to baseball all summer and I can then run my dogs
    Mike Peters

[QUOTE=Mike Peters-labguy23;1227868]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post

I suppose my pro could take my sons to baseball all summer and I can then run my dogs
    Life is all about choices.

Priorities regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cummins Jr. View Post
    Here in Central Okla., I have one test that's one hour away. EVERYTHING else is 3-4 hrs., or more away! Just the way it is. Saddle Up !!

Bill
    Try western South Dakota where our nearest test is 5+ hours away. In addition, our test is June 28-29, and Minot's double master is the next weekend, all with openings. So how about everyone pull up their big boy britches and drive a little further than you'd like. As Bill said...saddle up.

Kinda off subject and im new to the games. But whats the point of having a dog and getting it titled if you didnt train, or even handle it. Where does anyone get pride in that. If you learn to handle it, sure your doing your part. But just having a pro do it all, wheres the joy or point? Every pro ive met has been helpful to me, nothing against them. I just don't get why someone wouldnt handle their own dog. This would solve the issue at hand as well.

Quote Originally Posted by brsutton86 View Post
    Kinda off subject and im new to the games. But whats the point of having a dog and getting it titled if you didnt train, or even handle it. Where does anyone get pride in that. If you learn to handle it, sure your doing your part. But just having a pro do it all, wheres the joy or point? Every pro ive met has been helpful to me, nothing against them. I just don't get why someone wouldnt handle their own dog. This would solve the issue at hand as well.
    Just like people that buy trophy big game heads. Where is the pride in that, you didn't shoot it, or in this case, you didn't train/run the dog. All you did was provide money to the dog's training, not to mention fattened someone else's wallet.

Just a humble suggestion on my part…

Limit the number of entries a handler or co-handler can enter in one day on EE. That should give others a chance to enter their dog. Just a penny worth on my side….
    I still do like the simple post card with a stamp and the anticipation on its return.