The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: Really 30+ dogs for one handler

I've wondered about that. Why the club doesn't just collect entry fees from members working the test and then just hav the secretary enter their dogs and pay for them all at once when they open the test. As though they were the dogs on a pros truck. It solves the immediate concern of club members not getting in. Maybe it's too much hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by jhnnythndr View Post
    I've wondered about that. Why the club doesn't just collect entry fees from members working the test and then just hav the secretary enter their dogs and pay for them all at once when they open the test. As though they were the dogs on a pros truck. It solves the immediate concern of club members not getting in. Maybe it's too much hassle.
    You obviously don't understand that the purpose of threads like this is not to promote solutions. If that happened every time someone started a whiny rant what would there be to talk about?

My bad- I'm new. I'll try to keep myself in line from now on though

I have read this post as long as I can without responding. My response comes from the wearing of several different hats.

The AKC hunt test program and the Master National must be doing something right. If not, we would not be seeing this blame game over and over again. Who in their right mind complains about GROWTH? Do you in your everyday business? I think not. How do you handle it? It is my assumption that you find a way, correct? That is what we, the ones that truly love and are dedicated to OUR sport, should do. We should be getting out there and busting our tails to make it work. Yes, I for one, can relate to how grueling a weekend hunt test truly is. I have been there, done that, and still do it every chance I can. It does not matter to me if it is my club or someone elses. No, I am not looking for any kind of credit, just stating my position on the issues at hand. I understand how it is to put on a test with limited "working" club members and have to ask for help from the outside participants. Thankfully, I have had people that will step up and help. Most participants are that way, they just need to be asked.

I have been there as Hunt Test chairman when grounds were lost or cut in half at the last minute. We had to make it work. It was that time, that out of the box thinking was mandatory to come up with a solution. During set up, we had both sets of Master judges get together and set up four possible scenarios to rotate the flights. The fourth scenario was a back up just in case one flight was delayed a bit. The other could keep going and not create a bottle neck. I also realize that depending on property, this may not be feasible as the tests may be too close in proximity and interfere with each other. More often than not, this is the exception not the rule. This also "should" cut down on the fussing and comparing between flights that one flights set ups were not as challenging as the others, etc.

I know that the Master National Board has been discussing the entries for quite some time now and truly this topic is probably on the agenda of every monthly conference call. So please don't sit there and think this is not being addressed. Proposals/changes cannot and should not be quickly acted upon when the entire retriever hunt test communitly will be affected. Careful consideration and weighing of pros and cons, is put in to each and every idea brought forth to the board.

I think it has been said on here several times, Entry Express is looking in to ways to enhance the entry system from their end. This is not something that can be done overnight. Be patient and trust the one that knows far better than anyone else on this forum. He is telling you, they recognize the need for it and changes are coming. Thank you, David.

Some have asked for opening dates and times to be specified on the premium. I truly believe this does give everyone a "fair shake". I did just that on my club's listing on the initial page of EE, this spring. I opened the test at 6:00pm CST on the day advertised and not one minute before. I still had openings for our double master, senior, junior when the entries closed.

Do I think other suggestions on here are valid? ABSOLUTELY!!! I do have a couple of questions for those that have made suggestions..... Have you made contact with your regional Master National Board member? Have you submitted a proposal to either your local Master National club or the Master National board? Have you submitted in writing anything of sorts to the AKC or the Retriever Hunt Test Advisory Committee? Lastly but certainly not least, have you volunteered your time and showed up to work that event whether you are running a dog or not?

The West Central Minnesota Retriever Club took it upon themselves to add another flight to accommodate additional people wanting to run their test. I hope that each of you complaining about the number of entries that one person had, entered the event, showed up and helped in any way that you could. The second flight remained open for quite some time. I checked it randomly until the close and there were spots that opened back up. The WCMRC did a phenomenal job hosting and putting on their first Hunt test. I realize there were behind the scenes things that happened, but it was not publically known. The guys, Tim and Damon, that were over our flight were exceptionally hard workers and I truly appreciate all they did to keep the flight running smoothly and decreased downtime between series. I cannot thank the club, its working members, and the judges enough for such an awesome weekend.

I would like to take an additional few minutes to talk about the "30 plus dog handler". First, let me start of by thanking each of you who have had many kind words to say about Ray and his work ethic. He loves the sport and gives back 100% (running, working and judging) all the time. As mentioned earlier, he tries to instill this in all his clients as well. I don't want to respond to each and every thread but I do want to take the time to elaborate on the one asking, "Why would an amateur not be willing to run in a different flight than their pro?" Really... Maybe it is that they are there to not only run their dog, but to seek advice, guidance and support from the individual they entrust their companion to on a daily basis or value the training as a day trainer. It is a TEAM effort. I don't know of many teams where the players play in a different field than their coach. Maybe they want to be in that same flight to be able to pitch in and help do whatever it takes to make things run smootly for their said pro and the flight he is assigned to because they know he will be busy running dogs. I can't speak for other pro's clients, but I believe I am correct in speaking about his. These clients come and train with him on a daily, weekly, or "just when they need it basis" to better themselves and he is more than happy to help them at any point. Why should they not want to seek out that same advice at an event?

To the question of how many dogs did he run at WCMNRC.... he ran twenty-one and I ran two. We had one scratch due to one being in season. (The club was notified as soon as we knew of the scratch.) The rest, were clients that came to run their dog that is on his truck or that train with him as day trainers. I would also like to clarify that only ONE bye dog had to be run during the honor series and it was no different than any other test. It was the last dog.

I make this offer... If I am ever entered in one of your club events and you need additional help, please reach out to me and let me know. From marshalling, throwing birds, shooting flyers, break down/set up, whatever- I am there to help.

I only ask one favor and that is if you have no intentions of signing up, running, showing up and working the event, please do not put your two cents out there for the sake of stirring the pot. We should all be in this game together for the betterment of OUR sport.
    Last edited by Melissa R Shanks; 08-21-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

AMEN Miss Melissa.......you sure have a way with words...... You and Ray are TOP NOTCH in my book of FRIENDS..........Otey
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

Melissa, well Said. The ones of use the do volunteer to work do know that you and Ray both work very hard. I always like being in the same flight as you and Ray. Looking forward to seeing you both sometime this spring. Unforunately both our clubs hunts are on the same day. If for some reason PHRC has to cancel I would love to come run Magnolia's and you know I will help.
    Karen

Melissa you are wasting your time trying to explain to the WHINIERS. People that have been around you and Ray know yall help ever way you can plus some.
    Thank's for your help in the game we love. See you at the Atlanta test.
    HRCH RP'S JUMP'N JOSIE MH
    HRCH GP'S PRINCESS HANNAH MH
    RP'S SOUTHERN BELLE

BLACK WARRIOR RETRIEVER CLUB

RANDY A. PRICE

Quote Originally Posted by priceskeet View Post
    Melissa you are wasting your time trying to explain to the WHINIERS. People that have been around you and Ray know yall help ever way you can plus some.
    Thank's for your help in the game we love. See you at the Atlanta test.
    Randy, you hit the nail on the head.

I'm still relatively new at this, but I have marshaled several tests, both AKC and HRC. I have not run into a pro that didn't try to do whatever they could to work with me to make things run smoothly, no matter how many dogs they had.
    Paula

HR Dixie's Southern Comfort IV, MH

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is it will not be needed until they try to take it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Melissa, you keep it up and you might get drafted into politics
    HRCH Rip's Fullhouse Jacks Over Aces SR Ace
    Color me Gone- Speed

Jack Gravely
    Aspire to Inspire before you Expire