The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 157

Thread: Iraq

  1. #1
    Senior Member Gerry Clinchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,731

    Default Iraq

    I didn't read the entire articles in the NY Times, but two of their headlines today are

    Sunni Militants Drive Iraqi Army Out of MosulBy SUADAD AL-SALHY and TIM ARANGO

    Militants spilling over the border from Syria seized control of Iraq's second-largest city in the most stunning success yet of a rapidly widening insurgency that threatens to drag the region into war.

    Are we really sure it's a smart idea to send heavy weapons to the rebels in Syria?


    Exhausted and Bereft, Iraqi Soldiers Quit FightBy KAREEM FAHIM and SUADAD AL-SALHY

    More soldiers are deserting the Iraqi Army, turning the tide of the war and fragmenting an institution that was supposed to provide a common sense of citizenship.


    By around 2017, I'd guess we'll see similar headlines for A'stan.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

    ​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

  2. #2
    Senior Member .44 magnum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    819

    Default

    Smart people before any war in the middle east made the points that when you leave, this would happen.

    Only real thing that could make this world safer is for the entire area have the neutron bomb dropped on it... and nobody has the balls to do it.

    Holy Wars never end until there is a Victor.... many, many families lost loved ones , and revenge is a huge driving force. America will be attacked again, and again, because our leaders went after the wrong country post 9-11.

    yes Afghanistan will once again be controlled by Taliban... and Iraq will be control by Islamic sects with the greatest numbers. About all you can do is supply each side with weapons and let them have civil war that takes out most of them.
    I don't think I smell like a brewery. I was drinking Scotch.

  3. #3
    Senior Member swampcollielover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    1,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    Smart people before any war in the middle east made the points that when you leave, this would happen.

    Only real thing that could make this world safer is for the entire area have the neutron bomb dropped on it... and nobody has the balls to do it.

    Holy Wars never end until there is a Victor.... many, many families lost loved ones , and revenge is a huge driving force. America will be attacked again, and again, because our leaders went after the wrong country post 9-11.

    yes Afghanistan will once again be controlled by Taliban... and Iraq will be control by Islamic sects with the greatest numbers. About all you can do is supply each side with weapons and let them have civil war that takes out most of them.
    .44 magnum....I disagree in that you should, when dealing with radical Muslims, go after any 'country'....that is the problem with the approach the USA continues to use. We go in and try to take out all the radicals and then try to convert or set up the population in that country to protect themselves. Which in 2000 years they have never done.

    We should go after the Muslin leaders, their families, and friends where ever they hide, kill all you can by whatever means possible, quickly. Maximum damage, shock and awe and then leave. This type of violence is all they understand, and it is something we can do very well. If we do this well in time, the Muslin leadership will fail, as the cost will be to high.

  4. #4
    Senior Member .44 magnum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    819

    Default

    There is no answer, nothing has worked. Mainly because we do not understand the Jihad.

    Saudi Arabia spawns many terrorists, yet because of our love for the Royal Family, we never go after the terror groups in their country. It was Saudis who did 9-11... not Iraq. Afghanistan started because we wanted to flush out Bin Larden from his Mountain bunker, and then the mission grew to take out the Taliban.

    Wars should only be fought when safety of Americans lives on our soil are at risk. We have the most sophisticated Air Force in the world capible of doing direct strikes anywhere in the world without men on the ground.Our debt today does not allow us to play these games much longer. War does make jobs for those in the defense industry, so maybe that is the hidden value of these last wars.
    I don't think I smell like a brewery. I was drinking Scotch.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    There is no answer, nothing has worked. Mainly because we do not understand the Jihad.

    Saudi Arabia spawns many terrorists, yet because of our love for the Royal Family, we never go after the terror groups in their country. It was Saudis who did 9-11... not Iraq. Afghanistan started because we wanted to flush out Bin Larden from his Mountain bunker, and then the mission grew to take out the Taliban.

    Wars should only be fought when safety of Americans lives on our soil are at risk. We have the most sophisticated Air Force in the world capible of doing direct strikes anywhere in the world without men on the ground.Our debt today does not allow us to play these games much longer. War does make jobs for those in the defense industry, so maybe that is the hidden value of these last wars.
    This would be the sane and pragmatic approach. Especially when one's country is 17.5 TRILLION in debt with another 60Trillion in unfunded liabilities. Of course, you won't get the big government Neocons to agree with this policy.

    The Maliki government is begging the Shi'a Kurds in northern Iraq to help them against the Sunnis. If the Kurds don't step in, Iran would be delighted in running the Sunnis out of Iraq.
    Changing the Presidential Debates to allow Liberty on the stage will change America. You can help. Go to Our America's Debate Challenge to learn how you can help.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Henlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    806

    Default

    Swampy I guess that sounds good, but if you look at how many of "them" there are and think about the logistics of it all it is an impossible task, not to mention inherently evil one at that.


    .44 Saudi citizens attacked us in a terrorist attack. SA is one of our best allies in that region and they are very serious about tamping down those elements in their society.

    I agree with you on the wars though. We should not be allowing ourselves to get dragged down in those types of combat operations unless we have to. We have plenty of options for war by other means.

    I think that our policy on terrorists ought to be to go after leadership and money. The Israelis did this in the 70's to great effect and our ability to follow money should make targeted killings of financiers not difficult.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

  7. #7
    Senior Member swampcollielover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    1,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    Swampy I guess that sounds good, but if you look at how many of "them" there are and think about the logistics of it all it is an impossible task, not to mention inherently evil one at that.


    .44 Saudi citizens attacked us in a terrorist attack. SA is one of our best allies in that region and they are very serious about tamping down those elements in their society. Iran used to be allies also, nothing new...until we take on the leaders of any radicals that attack us, and consistently hunt them and hit them where it hurts...until then, this war will just continue. At the very minimum we can minimize the deaths of American soldiers, something we ignore now! Since Korea, and even in WWII, if we had to risk collateral damage, we did not take the chance, we let the American soldiers pay the price. Against radical Muslims who hide behind and within the innocent people, this old tactic will not work! If you are going to fight a war, fight to win, otherwise stay home!

    I agree with you on the wars though. We should not be allowing ourselves to get dragged down in those types of combat operations unless we have to. We have plenty of options for war by other means.

    I think that our policy on terrorists ought to be to go after leadership and money. The Israelis did this in the 70's to great effect and our ability to follow money should make targeted killings of financiers not difficult.
    I agree with this, but also go after the families, villages, etc. wipe their seed off the planet. More importantly advertize this as our new War on Radicals.....some said well the world will think we are evil or whatever....the Muslims already beleive this we are the "Great Satin"...as for the rest of the world. If we stop this attack on all Non Muslims...in the long run they will see that we are cutting the head off of the snake, and then chopping up the body.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    530

    Default

    That's it swampy send your newly graduated grandkids to do your bloody work!

  9. #9
    Senior Member Gerry Clinchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,731

    Default

    NY Times headline today:
    Iraq Said to Seek U.S. Strikes on Militants By MICHAEL R. GORDON and ERIC SCHMITT

    The Obama administration declined the request by Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki, because it was reluctant to open a new chapter in a conflict that the White House has insisted was closed.
    In a separate headline, the Times mentions the rebels taking over more cities in Iraq, and moving toward the capital.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

    ​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

  10. #10
    Senior Member .44 magnum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    819

    Default

    What we all forget is what would we do if we were in their shoes ? If the USA one day is over run by a foreign power, we would now be the insurgents, the Wolverines, trying to regain our nation.

    Right now there is a power vacuum and it is going to be hell in Iraq. The group that wants it the most, has the best weapons, will control Iraq. The middle east is always going to be like this. They are about 200 years behind the rest of the worlds development.
    I don't think I smell like a brewery. I was drinking Scotch.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •