The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 National Amateur Retriever Championship LIVE Coverage......

16 dropped.

33 back to the 8th Series water blind.

Interesting side note... 4 dogs were dropped with no handles. A few dogs were dropped with their first handle in the 7th.

Quite a few dogs with handles still playing.

So, like others have said... Just because a dog doesn't have a handle... Doesn't mean it's "clean" or shouldn't have handled.

Also, sometimes... It's about WHEN you handle.
    Bill Davis

was sorry to see Nora dropped, but HUGE thanks to Louie Churack for handling her for Lanse this year, She deserved an appearance at the NARC, and with the exception of the handle on one mark she showed her stuff.....

Game on for the 33 left, still a lot of game left,lots of players still in it...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

From the sounds of the 2 test dogs and the first running dog, this blind is going to be a blood bath!
    " If you dont get butterflies coming to the line you would probably be doing something different."

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post

Also, sometimes... It's about WHEN you handle.
    Bill,
    For a newbie, can you go into a little more detailed explanation about the "WHEN" please? Just when I think I'm starting to somewhat understand things I become more confused. EX...I noticed on the last blind some with far less whistles were dropped when others with more whistles were carried. And like you said, some with no handles were dropped and others with a handle or maybe two were carried. I know there are reasons and I'm not doubting or second guessing anyone....just trying to learn. It's hard trying to learn sitting behind a computer and reading blogs but it's the best I can do for now. Maybe one day I can actually attend some trials and learn a lot more. THANKS!!

Quote Originally Posted by cocdawg View Post
    Bill,
    For a newbie, can you go into a little more detailed explanation about the "WHEN" please? Just when I think I'm starting to somewhat understand things I become more confused. EX...I noticed on the last blind some with far less whistles were dropped when others with more whistles were carried. And like you said, some with no handles were dropped and others with a handle or maybe two were carried. I know there are reasons and I'm not doubting or second guessing anyone....just trying to learn. It's hard trying to learn sitting behind a computer and reading blogs but it's the best I can do for now. Maybe one day I can actually attend some trials and learn a lot more. THANKS!!
    That's the best anyone can do unless you are in touch with someone on site. The judges see a LOT more than the blog can tell us. Two dogs may sound like they're doing comparable work but their hunts may be vastly different. Thus, one is going into a series needing perfect work to stay alive and the other may have a little "wriggle room".

(the bloggers are under some pressure to "describe" but NOT "judge". Can be tough.)

JS

Sorry, not Bill but ...
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Quote Originally Posted by DenverB2B View Post
    From the sounds of the 2 test dogs and the first running dog, this blind is going to be a blood bath!
    ole Tubb showed 'em how it was done! (presumably from the blogs description which is all i can go on)

Historically at Nationals when you have a mistake is often more important than what mistake you make, e.g. Handling on a mark or having big hunts on a test when few have handled or having a mistake in a series when the judges want to make a cut and you become part of a group of dogs with similar marginal work. One of the difficulties of judging a National is being consistent with callbacks and drops.

Like JS said... Take the blog descriptions with a grain of salt. Sometimes they say good job... And the dog is dropped.

When I say "when you handle"... A handle after a hunt in that 7th series, probably got you dropped even if you were clean going in. They had a lot of dogs, needed to get the field down. You generally get two "dings" at a national.

A big hunt will be a ding... A handle is your second ding and you are gone. If they both come in the same test... Uh oh.

Sometimes a dog will handle in the first series, them be clean the rest of the way... Maybe with a hunt in the 9th... If the field is already pared down enough... It might not hurt, and that dog ends up making it to the 10th. You just never know...

Nothing is written in stone... Sort of like the unwritten rules in baseball... There are a lot of things like that in this game, though most won't admit it.
    Bill Davis

Thanks for the explanation Bill!!