The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 National Amateur Retriever Championship LIVE Coverage......

We left at 4:05 during a gun change and they had 22 or so dogs left. They are likely done now.

If you look at the callbacks page they have an H for nitro which is dog 27 I believe so something tells me they prolly made it to dog 32 and finished the 1/2 series. I think the blog is still on 14 though. Obviously it takes longer to keep a detailed record than just putting H down for a dog none the less they are doing a good job

question for the educated folk: do you think sliders pop and return to the line (at 3 feet away) was ruled as confusion and that's why he was allowed to run the blind or does he possibly face not getting called back for popping? He's a nice dog hate to see it happen but would love an explanation. A lot of peoples picks are on the line...

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    If you look at the callbacks page they have an H for nitro which is dog 27 I believe so something tells me they prolly made it to dog 32 and finished the 1/2 series. I think the blog is still on 14 though. Obviously it takes longer to keep a detailed record than just putting H down for a dog none the less they are doing a good job

question for the educated folk: do you think sliders pop and return to the line (at 3 feet away) was ruled as confusion and that's why he was allowed to run the blind or does he possibly face not getting called back for popping? He's a nice dog hate to see it happen but would love an explanation. A lot of peoples picks are on the line...
    No one said he popped. It's totally up to the judges though. They may have called it confusion and if so, no harm no foul. If they call it a no-go, they will drop her... But as a judge, I would have done it then rather than give her hope. (If I felt it was a no go)
    Bill Davis

From description Slider did not Pop nor was it confusion, which applies to blinds only, or a no go.
    What sometimes happens on marks is the dog may be sent with too soft a voice and after taking a few strides returns to handlers side. A pop means dog sat and required handling. What seemed to happen here is likely a non issue. Same happened to me once and got 2nd place.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

The specific wording is "confusion (by the dog) as to whether or not it was sent". Since I did not see the incident I do not know what happened but I suspect that is a non issue unless it happens again.

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    From description Slider did not Pop nor was it confusion, which applies to blinds only, or a no go.
    What sometimes happens on marks is the dog may be sent with too soft a voice and after taking a few strides returns to handlers side. A pop means dog sat and required handling. What seemed to happen here is likely a non issue. Same happened to me once and got 2nd place.
    I agree that it's probably a non-issue, but not that confusion applies on blinds. Any failure to go on a blind is a no-go and mandatory elimination. On marks, the scenario you describe is considered confusion and a very minor fault unless repeated. I'm biased when discussing Slider, but without having seen the work, I'm guessing the judges will consider it confusion.

From description Slider did not Pop nor was it confusion, which applies to blinds only, or a no go. What sometimes happens on marks is the dog may be sent with too soft a voice and after taking a few strides returns to handlers side. A pop means dog sat and required handling. What seemed to happen here is likely a non issue. Same happened to me once and got 2nd place.
    From your lips to the judges' ears!

Go Slider!
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Heres the wording from the rule book:
    30. In marked retrieves, if a dog, after having been sent to retrieve, (1) returns to his handler before finding the bird, with or without having been called in, except in those cases of confusion of the dog as to whether he was really ordered to retrieve; (2) stops his hunt; or (3) fails to pick the bird up, actually leaving it after finding it, it shall be sufficient cause, unless there exist in the opinion of the Judges valid mitigating circumstances, to justify elimination from the stake.

Hope it was a non issue! Go Slider!
    Bill Davis

Right.
    I sort of miss spoke on the confusion bit, sorry.

on another note, suprised to see 25% of the field handled on 1st series double.
    Last edited by Breck; 06-15-2014 at 09:59 PM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Right.
    I sort of miss spoke on the confusion bit, sorry.

on another note, suprised to see 25% of the field handled on 1st series double.
    Not surprising if you saw the terrain and the set up, the dogs went downhill then uphill on all three birds, beautiful grounds and a well designed test that was completed in one day.