The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AKC Junior Test Question

Default AKC Junior Test Question

I am running my young dog in mine and her first JH test Saturday. It's at the club I joined CMRC and a double Sat and Sun. My question is; Sometimes my dog will return with the bird, sit, drop the bird pick it up and deliver to my hand. Does her dropping the bird cause a fail on the test?

If she picks it back up without a lot of begging from you, no problem. Dropping or repositioning the bird is not a fault and certainly not a failure if she immeditately picks it back up and delivers to hand.

Meredith

Meredith,

Thank you! She only seems to drop the bird to get a better hold and I don't even have to tell her to pick it up.

Thanks again
    Steve

Something to work on but adjusting the hold and delivering to hand as you describe should be OK.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

More than likely drops the bird because it is a brown dog. See you tonight Steve.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

As long as she delivers to hand you will be ok, be very careful that she has the bird in mouth and that you do not touch her (grab her collar), prior to taking the bird from her mouth....

You will not be disqualified! This is fairly common at the JR level.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Thornton View Post
    I am running my young dog in mine and her first JH test Saturday. It's at the club I joined CMRC and a double Sat and Sun. My question is; Sometimes my dog will return with the bird, sit, drop the bird pick it up and deliver to my hand. Does her dropping the bird cause a fail on the test?
    NO.....this in and of itself, as described, is not a failure.
    Just get her to deliver it ultimately to your hand.
    Stan b & Elvis

Senior Member Twin Willows Labs's Avatar

Along with everyone else, I will tell you it is not a failure. What may fail, depending on the judges, is excessive coaxing and baby-talking the dog to pick it back up. Saw a guy dropped for this at the last test we ran. If the dog does it on occasion, you already know it might happen, which means you shouldn't be surprised. If the dog drops it, take a good-sized step back and a "fetch" in a stern, even tone. As soon as the bird is off the ground, get your hands under it. Most judges I have seen have been encouraging the "junior lunge". If I see my dog doesn't have the greatest grip on the bird, I will often give a "hold" or two as she gets close to reinforce what I want. Junior judges are pretty good about asking if anyone is running their first test. Raise your hand when they ask. You won't be the only one. Ask lots of questions. Most importantly, relax and have fun. Whether you pass or fail, try to make sure you take note of what you need to work on.

And remember, don't, under any circumstances...
    "If you're too busy to duck hunt, you're too busy" - Jase Robertson
    "You're going hunting again? In this weather?" - My fiance

Twin Willows Lil Miss Zoey JH
    Soon to be the next big thing.
    Andrew's Baby Saint
    The queen bee. Old and deaf. My version of the once-in-a-lifetime dog. I regret not sharing her with the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Willows Labs View Post
    And remember, don't, under any circumstances...
    nice one.

We call it the Jr scoop.
    Steven

Nordahl's Queen of Spades (Sadie)

Nordahl's Dream in Extreme JH (Dixie)

Wild Meadow Retrievers

Be prepared for the unexpected too with your young dog. If you see your dog doing something you do not like while training every once in awhile, such as dropping the bird, taking its time back to you, etc., it could happen this weekend. With all of the other dogs around, your dog's focus may wander so anticipate the unexpected before it happens.

My dog's first hunt test went well except when she ran back to me holding the duck, she froze 10 ft from me, looked around and saw judges and people with their dogs.....AND DECIDED TO RUN AROUND A BIT SHOWING OFF HER DUCK! I aged five years I was so tense. The HERE command was not top on her list at the moment because she wanted everyone to see her new prize. She eventually returned to me.

So give commands BEFORE something happens. Anticipate. For example, I would say HOLD, HOLD as she got near.

Good luck!!
    Larry Lauck
    Treasurer
    Lone Star Hunting Retriever Club
    Dallas, Texas

Field Expert
    Sporting Dog Team
    Drake Waterfowl Products, Inc.

SHR Duchess Ellie of Highlands