The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ISIS: The first terror group to build an Islamic state?

Matt I think the destruction of Iranian oil platforms has hurt us in the long run and was the end result of bad interventionism. The first gulf war had a clear objective. We have not had a conflict like that since. We normally just end up fighting the same people we armed a decade or so earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McKenzie View Post
    Can anybody give me an example of Western military intervention other than the first Gulf War and the destruction of the Iranian oil platforms that had a positive outcome? I'm having a tough time coming up with one.
    the rebuilding of Japan under the direction of MacArthur....without military intervention in the Philippines my family would probably not exist today..when they kicked the US out the country has become poorer, more corrupt and has led to the rise of Abu Sayef (Al Queda Filipino version of Muslim extremists)
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    the rebuilding of Japan under the direction of MacArthur....without military intervention in the Philippines my family would probably not exist today..when they kicked the US out the country has become poorer, more corrupt and has led to the rise of Abu Sayef (Al Queda Filipino version of Muslim extremists)
    Sorry Bon, I forgot to include the phrase "in the middle east" in my post. In my opinion, taking out the oil platforms in 1988 achieved its objective. The first Gulf War achieved its objective, as well. After each of these operations, the situation was improved and remained that way for some time. Other than that, I think that each time the West has gotten involved militarily, things have gotten worse. I'm referring to the period from the fall of the Ottoman empire until today.
    On a separate note, I love the Philippines. I spent a bit of time in the P.I. in the 80's and have always felt that both countries suffered from the decision to close down the U.S. Military bases there.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Although an aircraft carrier has moved into position, any US support/intervention may now be a moot point. NY Times headlines ...

Iraqi Shiite Cleric Issues Call to Arms By ALISSA J. RUBIN, SUADAD AL-SALHY and RICK GLADSTONE

The specter of sectarian war and partition of Iraq grew as Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani told his followers to take up arms against an insurgent army of marauding Sunni militants.
    Seeing Their Gains at Risk, Shiites Flock to Join Militias By ALISSA J. RUBIN and ROD NORDLAND

Skills honed on behalf of President Bashar al-Assad will be used for militia groups battling the Sunnis who are driving toward Baghdad.

And Iran has sent some troops in from their border area.

Obama is vacationing in Palm Springs and will attend a fund raiser nearby. He mentioned that his Natl Security Council staff will be keeping him updated and advised.

G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.