The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a "check down bird".

Default What is a "check down bird".

It was referenced in an article on training principles and practices. I can't figure it out from the context.

Thanks,

a mark that is thrown much shorter than the go bird and/or other marks. Dog goes long for a retrieve and then "checks down" to get the short mark.
    "Too late smart, too soon old" - Now I finally get it Grandpa

Dennis Long
    HRCH SHDW MTN Aces and Eights Toby MH "Toby"
    HRCH Barton Creek's Winner Take All MH "Rio"
    Ranger 1997 - 2012
    Ragin' Charge of the Light Brigade "Cannon"

The mark my dog runs by at Mach 3 & has to be handled with 57 come in whistles to pick it up.
    Mark Land

The mark my dog runs by at Mach 3 & has to be handled with 57 come in whistles to pick it up.
    LMAO Probably a MUCH BETTER explanation right there
    "Too late smart, too soon old" - Now I finally get it Grandpa

Dennis Long
    HRCH SHDW MTN Aces and Eights Toby MH "Toby"
    HRCH Barton Creek's Winner Take All MH "Rio"
    Ranger 1997 - 2012
    Ragin' Charge of the Light Brigade "Cannon"

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    You'd probably still be alive in a Master test.

As long as you don't say the word "here".

Do that once, and you're probably toast.
    For some stupid unwritten reason.
    Last edited by copterdoc; 06-13-2014 at 09:45 PM.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

The "short retired" mark in this one is the concept. All else in the set up entices the dog to go long. That short retired mark would be the lone memory mark, which most dogs would over run instead of checking down. Run the shorter blind first, then the second. Then have the shorter mark thrown, followed by the long flyer with the shorter gun already retired.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post

The "short retired" mark in this one is the concept. All else in the set up entices the dog to go long. That short retired mark would be the lone memory mark, which most dogs would over run instead of checking down. Run the shorter blind first, then the second. Then have the shorter mark thrown, followed by the long flyer with the shorter gun already retired.

Evan
    Evan, is adding the blinds into this drill more of a teaching or testing concept here (to see how well your dog understands the check down)? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by krapwxman View Post
    Evan, is adding the blinds into this drill more of a teaching or testing concept here (to see how well your dog understands the check down)? Thanks.
    Clearly, the flyer creates deep suction on the left of the check down mark. The blinds create it on the other side without having to set up another gun.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Thank you all. I am familiar with the concept, but had never heard it called a "check down bird." Now... how do you teach it? Do most people cue their dogs ("easy", etc.) for the short bird?

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    Thank you all. I am familiar with the concept, but had never heard it called a "check down bird." Now... how do you teach it? Do most people cue their dogs ("easy", etc.) for the short bird?
    It takes time and experience for the dog. And handlers vary on their sending styles.

Personally, I cue my dog as he is rotating back to heel with a "next" cue which means let's pick up the next shortest bird (secondary selection). It's his job to remember it and check into it. Soft "easy" cue, then a soft send, making sure they're lined up correctly. Have patience.

In training: you might have the gun unretire then re-retire for a reminder for a young dog. If the dog blows through, have the gun pop out and help.