The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Malcolm retiring gunner repair help

Default Malcolm retiring gunner repair help

The battery seems to have gone bad, can someone tell me how to replace?

The Malcolm works if it is plugged into the charger, but nothing happens (except for a click sound) if I try to operate it otherwise.

I assume the battery is not charging.

I am not handy, any help appreciated.

CPH has not responded to my email.

Thanks!
    Renee P

Severall options. First, I would contact Mike at CPH sales (mike@cphsales.com) before you proceed with any permanent alterations...he may be able to help you directly. Second, if you want to replace the battery with another sealed 12V, you must first remove the cover by drilling out the rivets holding it in place using a 3/16" drill bit; once you remove the cover and replace the battery with a new one, reattach the cover and use self tapping screws to hold it in place. Alternatively, you can take the charger to someplace like Radio Shack and get the necessary parts that will allow you to connect a 12V battery externally through the charging port. That option would require an adaptor like http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3807939 to fit into the port, along with appropriate wiring with alligator clips to connect to the external battery and would produce the same effect as you are getting when you hook up the charger to the Malcom.

Dunno which, if any, of the home repair options you might feel comfortable attempting, so I would, again, recommend contacting Mike at CPH first.
    Bruce Bachert Bakbay Labradors
    beb@bakbay.com www.bakbay.com
    Creedmoor, TX (near Austin)

Thanks bak bay. I did not think to look at the charger to get the specs on the current battery.

Do I replace the 3/16" rivets with new 3/16" rivets? Or do I have to go up a size?

I expect that Mike will eventually get back to me but I am eager to get it working as I am low on training partners right now!
    Renee P

My husband thinks my Malcolm has 1/8" rivets, and they look quite different than the 1/8" ones he has, hmmmm, maybe I'm gonna have to wait on Mike.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Thanks bak bay. I did not think to look at the charger to get the specs on the current battery.

Do I replace the 3/16" rivets with new 3/16" rivets? Or do I have to go up a size?

I expect that Mike will eventually get back to me but I am eager to get it working as I am low on training partners right now!
    The reason I suggested self-tapping screws rather than rivets is that battery replacement will not be a one time thing--batteries wear out--and the screws will be easier to remove for future replacements. 3/16" is the drill size that Mike suggested to me when I had to open the case...obviously, better to start smaller if you think 3/16" is too big since you can always go to a larger size drill bit if necessary to remove the rivet.

Do you know what kind of store sells the battery?

We opened him up, I find a similar battery on Amazon but would rather not have to wait for it to ship. Lots of stores in town but not sure where to start looking.

Much thanks for your help---
    Renee P

I opted for an external battery booster and use a 12V battery commonly used in wildlife feeders. Academy Sports carries them (http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/wild...53?N=900177550) as do other stores (Cabela's ?, Bass Pro ?, etc) that sell wildlife feeders/parts/supplies. The Academy battery was available at a local Austin, TX area store and would probably have fit inside if I had opted to go that way. Pretty sure most 12V gel cell rechargeables that fit inside will operate effectively--the Academy battery works great using the external charging port to boost the inside battery.

Thanks, Bruce. I just ordered something like the 12v 2.3ah SLA battery that was in there (not very expensive) as I am clueless about electronics. It is a lawn mower battery, I guess, but none of the big box stores here seem to stock it, but I should have it by Wednesday or Thursday.

Much thanks for your help---Renee
    Last edited by mitty; 06-15-2014 at 07:58 PM. Reason: deleted mistake
    Renee P

Ok, I got this going again, Thanks Bruce!
    Renee P