The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HT History - Foundation

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    Here's another one that I know a little bit about. The only thing I could readily find is one of the oldest threads remaining on the RTF database!

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...on-is-Launched!

This was NFRA, which ran for a couple years but did not sustain for very long.

Chris

Too bad this didn't really take off. I thought it was the best thing going and still do. Had a great time at the Colorado test!!!!!!!!!!!

...... a link from AKC giving some history of AKC hunt tests. It mentions starting with NAHRA and then later going their "separate ways" with the first AKC Hunt Tests in 1985
    this thread has that book http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...hlight=history
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Stroyan View Post
    Don't believe everything Arnett wrote... but it is funny.

I had some correspondence with A. Hamilton Rowen in January 1985, but it wasn't entirely polite. If you have a bottle of Lagavulin, I might re-create it .

The first hunt tests started in 1984 BC. You have to check that on the stone-chisled internet. NAHRA and HRC started something in 1983 AD and AKC joined in. But to my mind it has all evolved away from a hunter and her/his retriever.

It HAS grown quite large (except for NAHRA.)
    Hi Keith, look at this one from 1998: Page 7 in particular

http://www.nahra2.info/HistoryProject/NNV-XIII1-1998.pdf

Do you believe everything those guys wrote?
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

I have two copies of the old AKC Hunting Test Herald that John mentioned AND I have 4 old copies of the Hunt Test News that came about when the AKC Hunt Test Herald bellied up (from what I understand). They need a good home!!
    PM me
    No Whiners!

Do you believe everything those guys wrote?
    Well, of course I believe everything ONE of them wrote.

(Lots of the stuff in my old attempts at "publicity" embarrass me, but you did a good job at that article. )

And I believed everything Richard Wolters and Omar Driscol wrote, too. It prepared me to believe everything I read on the www.
    Last edited by Keith Stroyan; 06-17-2014 at 08:40 PM.

Middle of Michigan n Matagorda TX (no more cause the RV park we stayed in said no to outside dogs.

Hmmm, that history might not be correct cause I talked with a master judge a month or so ago who told me he started in 1961......... Of course he is older than me and I taught Moses when he was a corporal but that shouldn't change the story. BSEG!
    John C aka jacduck

Do you really want to increase entries at the Junior Hunt Test level? Simply put a limit on entries and everyone will flock to JR and fight over how to get in and what to change to make it fair for all !!!!!

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Omar has a hysterical letter he showed me at the HRC National a few years ago to him from the AKC saying "There is no market or interest for a non-field trial retriever event. If there were, we would be doing it." Oh how the AKC changed its tune quickly.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

Apparently you can teach an old dog something new if there is a reward !