The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Litter of Pups via. Frozen Semen AMAZING!!!

Default 1st Litter of Pups via. Frozen Semen AMAZING!!!

WOW, Saturday, our girl Jesse had 7 beautiful puppies, 4 boys 3 girls via C section
    at Hamby Road Animal Hospital in Alpharetta, Ga. with Dr. Ana Adams. Dr. Ana, two months
    previous did the surgical AI on Jesse with a precious straw of frozen semen from NFC Maxx's Surprise.

I am just amazed with the technology available and the expertise of Dr. Ana and mostly the 7 pups.
    Yes, I am completely worn out trying to monitor Mom and pups every two hours here at home.
    We had not thought of doing a C section, this is our first litter, after consulting with Dr. Ana
    we had no inhibitions. We were in and out of the vet in 2 and 1/2 hours with all the pups and Jesse
    walked out on her own. Everyone is doing great.

I am curious, how many of you have considered and or done a C section? We feel we avoided
    a possible long, difficult and stressful labor for Jesse.

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Gregg Leonard

Tremblin Earth's Touch of Choclate "Reese" QA2 FC/AFC Land Ahoy "Pirate" X Baypoints Dream Maker QA2
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH QA2 NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Dance Hall Gal
    Red Squad's Fifty Caliber "Sniper" QAA NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Maple Creeks Mattie Mae
    Red Squad's Bad Girlfriend "Tinker"FC/AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger X Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QA2
    Red Squad's Element Of Surprise "Chica" ​NFC-AFC Maxx's Surprise X Red Squad's Blue On Black MH QA2

I think all of us breeders have had to do one or more somewhere along the way. Some breeders consider elective c sections( just schedule and do it rather than wait for the need), and others like to let mom try to do it on their own. Whatever works for each individual. The benefit to scheduling it, is it minimizes possible stress and risk to the bitch and puppies through natural labor and the things that can happen. The risk for surgery is of course, anesthesia and complications as well.
    Congratulations on your litter!
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

We own a Prize daughter and she is aging well....we love her and in her prime she was hard to match!! Good Luck with the puppies.
    Danielle Wilson

BLF, Bella Luna-tic, QAA, NA. NAJ, RN, MH
    BLM, SHR Steelshot's Just Happy To Be, WC, JH
    BLM, HRCH Danielle's Classic Triple D, MH, WCX, WC
    GM HR Tidewater's Fire Quacker, WC, RN, MH
    BLF Luna-Tic's Littlest Gem, SH. QA2

www.thunderequipment.com

Good luck with your litter. What I experienced with a maiden bitch & c-section was she didn't recognize right away that the puppies were actually hers and it took a few days to figure out she had a new job. Was a bit unmotherly to one puppy early on. My first litter so was sort of stressed staying up for a day or two in the litter box helping to get things going. In a few days she behaved normally, cleaning up etc.
    Hope all seven become players.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Thanks ya'll, Jesse, has been a great mother from the minute we got home.
    She started cleaning the pups as they nursed immediately and wants the pups with her all the time.
    I have been getting up every 2 hours to make sure all the pups are feeding equally and Jesse is not accidently sitting or laying on the babies.

I thought all along that Jesse would be a great mother because she is so sweet and happy all the time.
    I also thought she would produce fabulous puppies, so far, I am right on one point.

Please keep the opinions on elective C sections coming.

Thanks,
    Gregg
    Gregg Leonard

Tremblin Earth's Touch of Choclate "Reese" QA2 FC/AFC Land Ahoy "Pirate" X Baypoints Dream Maker QA2
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH QA2 NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Dance Hall Gal
    Red Squad's Fifty Caliber "Sniper" QAA NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Maple Creeks Mattie Mae
    Red Squad's Bad Girlfriend "Tinker"FC/AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger X Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QA2
    Red Squad's Element Of Surprise "Chica" ​NFC-AFC Maxx's Surprise X Red Squad's Blue On Black MH QA2

No personal experience, but as Breck said I'd heard of problems with the mother accepting the pups if she went to sleep with none and woke up with pups.
    i've also heard it' s less of a problem if she has a couple before she has the c-section.
    Obviously it is working fine for your dog.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

OH, I elected c-section because dog was 8 years old, first litter and only showing 3 puppies. Plus I never even saw pups being born before let alone handle things myself so I was scared to risk it myself. After seeing all the vet staff did to get pups going I would not have known how to do any of it. Would not have been pretty. Surgery cost may be an issue. Ai + C-section + small litter = neg $ for you.
    There is always a big risk anytime a dog goes under anesthesia so best not to do it if unnecessary I think.

Grazie

I do not routinely schedule c sections. I want to perpetuate free whelpers. I will schedule a c section for a one or two pup litter if they look like they are too big to have them on there own vs an emergency c section. Or possibly an older bitch. There are too many breeders that schedule nothing but c sections and we are losing ability to free whelp. We don't need more problems in our breed. We don't want to go the route of the bully breeds. JMO.
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    OH, I elected c-section because dog was 8 years old, first litter and only showing 3 puppies. Plus I never even saw pups being born before let alone handle things myself so I was scared to risk it myself. After seeing all the vet staff did to get pups going I would not have known how to do any of it. Would not have been pretty. Surgery cost may be an issue. Ai + C-section + small litter = neg $ for you.
    There is always a big risk anytime a dog goes under anesthesia so best not to do it if unnecessary I think.
    We did the C section for many of the same reasons, I would not have known how to get the pups going and cleaned up like Ana's staff.
    We did an X-ray the day before and knew there were 7 or 8 pups and that made the decision easier to do the C section.
    Did not want Jesse to have a difficult labor and we not recognize if she or the pups were in trouble. Also, it would have been on
    Sunday and Ana's office like most vets are closed. We were worried about the anesthesia but were willing to take the risk for the safety of the pups and Jesse.

Hey Breck, I see you are at the national, keep it going and Good Luck!
    Gregg Leonard

Different Breck is running Greg, Breck Howard. I wish I was there, came a placement shy a number of times but never qualified except in Canada.

Grazie